Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2075
View in linear mode

Subject: "lost some bass" Previous topic | Next topic
GSoundApr-03-02 08:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
112 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2075, "lost some bass"

my bass was pretty friggin loud

and then i popped in my head unit (jvc el kameleon)
and then the bass seemed to quiet down. i mean i like
the clean sound, but where'd the crazy thump go?

i was thinking maybe because i took out the hi/low
filter out, and the engine noise was taken out (cuz
the engine noise helped a lil, heh) i dunno

does anyone have any explanations?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: lost some bass, brynden29, Apr-04-02 01:51 AM, #1
RE: lost some bass, JohnnyCorona, Apr-04-02 08:16 AM, #2
      RE: lost some bass, Weezle745, Apr-04-02 04:32 PM, #3
           RE: lost some bass, GSound, Apr-04-02 10:29 PM, #4
                RE: lost some bass, SPL_Eclipse, Apr-09-02 03:41 PM, #5
                     RE: lost some bass, Weezle745, Apr-14-02 05:15 PM, #6
                          RE: lost some bass, GSound, Apr-14-02 07:49 PM, #7
                               RE: lost some bass, Weezle745, Apr-15-02 08:16 AM, #8
                                    RE: lost some bass, GSound, Apr-16-02 11:50 AM, #9
                                         RE: lost some bass, Weezle745, Apr-16-02 04:35 PM, #10
                                              RE: lost some bass, JohnnyCorona, Apr-18-02 05:24 AM, #11
                                                   RE: lost some bass, dudasd, Apr-26-02 02:35 PM, #12

brynden29Apr-04-02 01:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2076, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 0

If you went from aftermarket to aftermarket deck then it is probbly just a setting on the new deck. Maybe the old deck had a "bass boost". Check your settings. Check your 6 preset EQ's too. Maybe it is set to flat right now. Other than that, if you are using the same amp, there is no reason why the bass SHOULD be less. The only other thing that would have an effect is the pre-amp outs. I am not sure how many volts yours are. Probaby 2 or 4 volt outs. If this deck has less volts out than your last deck, that could make a difference. But I am betting that it is your EQ settings. Good luck.

Brynden

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JohnnyCoronaApr-04-02 08:16 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
#2077, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 1

base is not as loud but cleaner right??? you probably need a better amp. ive had shitty amps that are loud as hell, but also distorted and nasty sounding. a good amp will keep that clean sound your hearing... but amplify if better

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

Weezle745Apr-04-02 04:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2078, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 2

I have the el kameleon and it could be a few reasons why the bass is not as loud anymore. Im not sure which model you have but I have the KDLX-50 (I think) its the one with the flat black panel and the little piano looking buttons

1. Is the woofer volume set to 8? It comes from the factory only set to 4.

2. Is your BBE on? Is it set to BBE3? That is the best one for bass.

3. Check your woofer frequency. The mid + high settings hit harder than the low frequency setting.

Let me know what you find out.

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

GSoundApr-04-02 10:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
112 posts,
#2079, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 3

yyea.. i was thinking just a beter amp.. iwent from a stock head unit with the high/low pass filter to a aftermarket head unit. i cahnged the freq to low (i figure this is best for quality of sound) i turned the woofer up to 8/8 and i don't use bbe3...

i actually read and confirmed by 3 audio technicians that bbe wasn't intended to be used with subwoofers. it increases the bass but reduces the quality of the bass dramatically. it even says in my manaul that bbe was not meant to be used with loudspeakers.

weezle, i was tryingto figure out what that low high mid thing is, i admit it's louder with it on high or mid, but i figured since my subwoofer operated around 34hz, that i should have the freq at low. i don't really know.

SPL_EclipseApr-09-02 03:41 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#2080, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 4

yes, BBE is intended for use with loudspeakers, what else would you use it for?:p

Im not too familliar with the JVC deck, but im assuming this "low, mid, high" thing you are talking about are center frequencies for EQing. if you have it set on 34hz, thats way to low to have much of an impact. most music released today with the exception of some classical and rap stuff will never play that low. see if you can set it to around 50-60hz, thats where you pobably need it the most.

also, when you put a new headunit in, you need to reset your gains on your amp. all the gain knob does is set the sensitivity for the input signal (the RCAs from the deck) vs. the output signal (to the subs). so if you had a 4volt preamp output (from the deck) and the gain was set on 25%, and you switched to a 2volt output, youd need to raise the gain to around 50% to achieve the same output level. to set it, turn the gain down to 0 on the amp. put in some good bass material in the headunit and turn it up to about 80% volume. then go back to the amp and slowly increase the gain until it doesnt sound good anymore (starts clipping), and back it off a tad. and youre done!

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Weezle745Apr-14-02 05:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2081, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah, the low frequency setting does not allow the frequency of bass that is most common in music to be heard. For me, mid is the best. High allows just too much bass.

Thedawg (left)---Me (middle)---Eclipse804 (right)

97 Eclipse Spyder

GSoundApr-14-02 07:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
112 posts,
#2082, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 6

BBE wasnt meant for loudspeakers, it says it in my jvc kameleon manual, and i confirmed it with audio technicians. if you try bumping songs with bbe, the sound quality of bass from the subwoofers will deteriate (or however u spell it). bbe is just to amplify the sound of the music, and to delay the treble a lil so that the bass and treble sound nice together (the tech said some bullcrap about how treble travels faster than bass blah blah blah) but i read something like that from the BBE people, so i guess it's right.

the 34hz is in the subwoofer specs. the low setting is around 50hz i believe and mid is around 80hz, and high is 100hz. i have it on low (50hz)... tell me if that is wrong

thanx for the info on reseting the gains on my amp tho, never thought of that .. imma try that as soon as possible

oh yeah. i'm not trying to sound like a dick about the bbe thing, sorry if it sounds like it. i know i'm asking for help, it's just i learned this crap recently, and i wanna tell any1 that had the same misinterpretation as i did. cuz i mean.. =P it's nice to know.

Weezle745Apr-15-02 08:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2083, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 7

Personally, I dont see how the quality of bass deteriorates. Try the different settings and tell me how you think it sounds better. Personally, my system sounds best with BBE2 or BBE3. Basically what Im saying is to try it with the BBE off and then on, and then tell me if you noticed a deterioration of bass.

97 Eclipse Spyder

GSoundApr-16-02 11:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
112 posts,
#2084, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 8

i tried to reset my gains on my amp, and it totally worked out. my amp is now producin more bass on 1/4 gain as compared to earlier when i was on the full gain.

i just wanted to say the kenwood 600watt amp (150Wx2) with boston acoutics proseries is a good ass combo. you can usually pick up the amp for like 130$ and the boston acotuics for 280$ each, there's deals online, if i find the one i bought it off of, i'll be sure to post

Weezle745Apr-16-02 04:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2085, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 9

* * * BBE UPDATE * * *
Ok, so i took my own advice and tried the different BBE settings. This is what I found out with my system: Yes the bass is significantly louder with BBE 2/3. However the bass DOES a sound a bit clearer when the BBE is set to OFF. It doesnt have as much bass, but it does sound cleaner. Now I have my BBE off. Sorry if I sounded like I thought I knew everything when responding in my previous posts. I guess I learned something new today. I am also gonna try resetting my gain levels. Thanks for everyones input.

97 Eclipse Spyder

JohnnyCoronaApr-18-02 05:24 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
#2086, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 10

every system is different.. i say just grab all the knobs at the same time and start switchin away until it knocks you on your ass!

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

dudasdApr-26-02 02:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#2087, "RE: lost some bass"
In response to Reply # 11

Just for the record, BBE should have never been introduced in a car audio environment. What it's intended purpose is for is to "enhance" the sound in a loudspeaker environment, ie a club or concert setting. It does nothing for bass, but it cleans up the mids and highs. A true BBE processor has about 10 different settings to it for shaping the sound. As far as your problem, when you had the factory HU in, the line level adapters are really kinda crappy, and most of them have some sort of gain setting on them. You more than likely were overdriving your subs when you switched to true pre-outs and henceforth the loss of sound. If you have an external EQ or x-over then definitely keep the BBE off. I'm pretty sure the JVC decks have a dedicated sub out which doesn't get any of the feed from the BBE process at all. If you have more than one amp in your system make sure you run your sub amp to that output. As far as adjusting you high/mid/low settings on the deck, it doesn't make much of a difference unless you run a multi amp system since all of your speakers will see the same signal. If you have an EQ or x-over then you are seperating your sound to different amp/speakers and can hear a difference when you make the finite adjustments to the different settings. Hope this all helps....

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2075 Previous topic | Next topic