Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #189
View in linear mode

Subject: "Amp Installation" Previous topic | Next topic
moistureJun-27-01 01:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#189, "Amp Installation"

I have a pretty basic question: When installing an amp, where do you run the power from the battery through the firewall? The only place I can find is the little rubber gasket on the top passenger side. I'd much rather run the wire under the dash, down by the pedals. But if you have to use the gasket, how do you get the dash off to finish running the wire? Thanks.

- ben aultowski

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Amp Installation, Teameclipse804, Jun-27-01 04:25 PM, #1
RE: Amp Installation, CJWalker, Jun-27-01 04:36 PM, #2
      RE: Amp Installation, Teameclipse804, Jun-27-01 06:10 PM, #3
      RE: Amp Installation, dermott, Jun-30-01 07:10 AM, #5
      Boot?, moisture, Jun-30-01 02:39 AM, #4
A-ha!, moisture, Jun-30-01 10:00 AM, #6
RE: A-ha!, Teameclipse804, Jun-30-01 04:37 PM, #7
      Sigh....., moisture, Jul-10-01 01:38 AM, #8
RE: Amp Installation, OneEra, Jul-17-01 06:07 PM, #9
RE: Amp Installation, Tom95Esi, Jul-20-01 03:13 PM, #10
      RE: Amp Installation, eclipticrider, Jul-23-01 04:23 PM, #11
           RE: Amp Installation, koolade9, Jul-25-01 04:04 PM, #12

Teameclipse804Jun-27-01 04:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#190, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 0

I just drilled a hole through my firewall, in the corner behind the battery. Make sure there is nothing behind there...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CJWalkerJun-27-01 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
74 posts,
#191, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 1

There is a rubber boot that comes out into the engine bay on the passenger side underneath the glove box. You can just push the wire through with the help of a rod or tool. Just be careful not to hit the wires. I pushed my power cables through the side of the boot and used a long pair of pliers to pull them up to the battery. (its a long reach!) I fit a 4ga and an 8ga wire through there so there is plenty of space.

**Sold** '96 GS Eclipse M5
http://www.geocities.com/cjwalker2/MyCar/mycar.html

'92 Talon TSi AWD M5
13.8 @ 97mph 1.74 60ft
http://www.geocities.com/cjwalker2/92tsiawd/chrisstalon.html

'99 Sebring Silver Z28 M6
13.3 @ 106mph 2.1 60ft
http://w

Teameclipse804Jun-27-01 06:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#192, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 2

I always heard about that, but never did find that boot. I personally didn't want to run my power wire all through the engine bay to the passenger side, so I drilled a hole in the firewall on the driver's side where the battery is. I have 4 gauge wire, so I drilled a pretty big hole (a little too big). Anyone know if I need to seal it somehow?

eclipse804@hotmail.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

dermottJun-30-01 07:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
5 posts,
#193, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 3

Two things you can do is go to an automotive supply store, and get the stuff(black sticky putty shit)they use to seal the plastic to the door under the door skin. The other thing is to buy a gromet to fit the hole, and re-run your wire through the gromet.I think this is the better thing to do because with wear and tear on the wire rubbing on the burr of the hole you drilled may cut through the insulation on the wire, and POOF!!!!

moistureJun-30-01 02:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#194, "Boot?"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't see the boot you are talking about. Under the glove box, there are wires coming in from the engine compartment, but they go downwards and I can't see where they come out on the other side. I'd still have to drill.

Right now I've ghetto-rigged my power cable by running it under the hood and then through the door. You can't see it when everything is closed, but yesterday I discovered that it creates a slight leak. So now I have to drill after all.

- ben aultowski

moistureJun-30-01 10:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#195, "A-ha!"
In response to Reply # 0

I figured out how to use the infamous boot: You shove a screwdriver straight through it and the run your wire through the hole you create. Everything is wired fine now. There's only one problem. My amp doesn't work anymore. One minute it does, and the next it doesn't. This is really pissing me off.

- moisture

Teameclipse804Jun-30-01 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#196, "RE: A-ha!"
In response to Reply # 6

Sounds like either a loose power connection, or maybe the remote turn on wire...check all your wiring, if any of it is exposed or cut, it may be grounding out sometimes so your amp isn't getting power...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

moistureJul-10-01 01:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#197, "Sigh....."
In response to Reply # 7

No, it is definately the amp. There is voltage running through both the Power and Remote Turn wires, and it is properly grounded. Oh well.

- moisture

OneEraJul-17-01 06:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2 posts,
#198, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 0

Look the easiest place to throw the wires through, in my opinion is the following:

(i actually figured this out right before i actually ran the wires. The person who installed my alarm ran the alarm cables through here.)

If you look under the dash, right under the steering wheel is a rubber boot that is connected to the steering column. Pierce a small hole in the boot and run the cables through there. This way is better due to the fact that this opening to the firewall is only about a foot and a half from the battery. the rest is a breeze.

Tom95EsiJul-20-01 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
70 posts,
#199, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 9

Here's how I ran my wires through the rubber thing, first poke a hole with a screwdriver, then bend a metal clothes hanger straight (cut some off) tie the wire to the hanger and push it through.

". . .the Eclipse/Talon looks like it's going a hundred
miles an hour when it's sitting in the driveway."

eclipticriderJul-23-01 04:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#200, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 10

i used the boot under the dash. i also have the power wires for the after market fog lights and strobe lights. i used zip ties to keep things outa sight. might wanna take the amp apart. i've seen some that had fuses inside. and that was all that was wrong with em. i took an electronics class at school also if you used a amp controll, check to make sure that it's ok. i've seen one go bad for no reason. i hooked his wires up w/out the controll and there was no prob. i don't like them anyhow.

www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/eclipticrides
mods:
GS-T muffler
pvc cai
hotter spark plugs
sticker on back
mesh grill
piaa plasma blue fog lights
mesh over the rear center piece
mods to come:
turbo/nitrous/cyclone engine swap
one of the three.
eibach coilovers
17 in. white racing wheels
custom exhaust
body kit
paint job
wing
ect.

koolade9Jul-25-01 04:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#201, "RE: Amp Installation"
In response to Reply # 11

just don't drill a hole above the clutch plate, I've got about a 1" hole there now with a 4ga, 8ga, 10ga, and a dozen 16/2 wires going through it and I always get marked off a couple points because I can't fit a real grommet in there.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #189 Previous topic | Next topic