Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best bass for the buck?" Previous topic | Next topic
BLKOUTJun-20-01 02:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#174, "Best bass for the buck?"

I have $300 to spend and I wanna get some bass. Problem is I don't have an amp or anything (don't really get into the stereo much) and I don't have any trunk space due to my two big blue bottles. What can I do without cluttering up what little space I do have and what's the best set-up for $300? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Best bass for the buck?, phrenzy, Jun-20-01 03:49 AM, #1
RE: Best bass for the buck?, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Jun-20-01 04:07 AM, #2
      RE: Best bass for the buck?, Teameclipse804, Jun-20-01 07:04 AM, #3
           RE: Best bass for the buck?, phrenzy, Jun-21-01 02:34 AM, #4
                RE: Best bass for the buck?, talonboy, Jun-23-01 04:05 PM, #5
                     RE: Best bass for the buck?, jeclipse14, Sep-20-01 05:21 AM, #6
RE: Best bass for the buck?, ReleasE, Sep-20-01 04:26 PM, #7
RE: Best bass for the buck?, 1TuffRS, Sep-21-01 05:05 AM, #8
      RE: Best bass for the buck?, PowerEclipses, Sep-21-01 06:13 AM, #9
           RE: Best bass for the buck?, 1TuffRS, Sep-21-01 11:13 AM, #10
RE: Best bass for the buck?, bloodyshin, Sep-21-01 04:55 PM, #11
RE: Best bass for the buck?, toykilla, Nov-05-01 07:40 PM, #12
      RE: Best bass for the buck?, 1TuffRS, Nov-06-01 01:30 AM, #13
           RE: Best bass for the buck?, toykilla, Nov-06-01 07:00 AM, #14

phrenzyJun-20-01 03:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#175, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 20-Jun-01 AT 08:55 AM (PST)

Hmmm...

I'd say buy a JL 10" W3 sub and a small Rockford Fosgate amp. Build your own sealed box for the 10. A W3 can fit in a relatively small box, and that setup would work quite nicely and cost around $320.

Make a trip to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" particle board (the stuff that computer desks are made out of) it's really dense. Also pick up some DAP All-purpose Silicon sealant, and a small box of 1 1/4" self-tapping drywall screws. Figure out how much space the sub needs (from the sheet included with the sub) and draw up a plan for the box. Next, bust out the circular saw and go to town.

Or, if you're feeling lazy, Bazooka makes a decent clean setup.

Hope this helps,
Later

Steve "Phrenzy" - DJPhrenzy@aol.com
'99 Eclipse GS (sport) - Barcelona Red/Tan Leather
HRC Stage 2 @ 5psi (June 19th)
HKS W1 3" cat-back
Autometer boost/GReddy EGT
Konig Verdict 17x7 - Toyo FZ4 215/45ZR17
custom system, cosmetic mods...

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorsd_eclipseJun-20-01 04:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#176, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 1

Phrenzy summed it up rather well. Since you have a small area to work with your stuck making your own box. I belive phrenzy meant to say MDF board not particle. There is a big difference between the 2 and MDF is what you want.

Teameclipse804Jun-20-01 07:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#177, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey Joe, I was in your exact same dilemma, until I found a guy selling a used false floor enclosure that goes in the spare tire well...

But before that, I was gonna get a Bazooka EL-104 tube (10") and a RF Punch 120.2. both were 150 at the stereo shop, so 300 total, but you can find it cheaper online. I can't tell you how it sounds though because I never got it. Check out http://www.sounddomain.com, they sell stuff and have a LOT of info in the audio forums. I ended up ordering the Crunch V-150C amp from them for only 99 bucks, its chrome, has two blue lighted meters, and 150 watt rms. I say its good for the price...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

phrenzyJun-21-01 02:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
#178, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah, MDF.

Steve "Phrenzy" - DJPhrenzy@aol.com
'99 Eclipse GS (sport) - Barcelona Red/Tan Leather
HRC Stage 2 going in now
HKS W1 3" cat-back
Autometer boost/GReddy EGT
Konig Verdict 17x7 - Toyo FZ4 215/45ZR17
custom system, cosmetic mods...

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

talonboyJun-23-01 04:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
33 posts,
#179, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 4

i agree go with MDF instead of particle board, also try going to www.ubid.com click on consumer electronics then mobile they usually have some nice prices on subs and amps, and occasionally have some good combo deals.

jeclipse14Sep-20-01 05:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#180, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 5

AUDIOBAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReleasESep-20-01 04:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4 posts,
#181, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was actually in your situation a couple weeks back. I only had about $300 to spend. What I ended up doing was buying a Rockford Fosgate 250a2 Amp on eBay for $130 new. Then I got the Polk EX12's from Computer City, $110 - Buy one get one free. Then use the rest of the money for a box and wires.

1TuffRSSep-21-01 05:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#182, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 7

J: audio makes a "stealth" box for our cars. It fits in the back left corner of the trunk. It houses a 10inch sub. Stan has it in his car so you could ask him how hard it hits.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

PowerEclipsesSep-21-01 06:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#183, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 8

all i know is go to www.justamps.com they got some nice shit there for cheap

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

1TuffRSSep-21-01 11:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#184, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 9

Damn BLKOUT your car is sexy as hell, I'm tired of being a broke ass college student. I cant wait until I finish Dental school and start making my dollars. Hey I only got 6 and 1/2 yrs left !

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

bloodyshinSep-21-01 04:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
27 posts,
#185, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 26-Oct-01 AT 07:45 PM (PST)

wasssuuuuppppppp

get some hookers instead

toykillaNov-05-01 07:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#186, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 11

1 JL audio 10W0 or 10W3 in a JL audio stealth enchosure. sub:$80
box:$150 and goto best buy or something a cheap SMALL 1 channel amp to push it. it doesnt need that much power. 100x1 would work with a small price also. try to see if you can install the amp under passenger seat...so no one knows you have a stereo and steal it like mine =/

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

1TuffRSNov-06-01 01:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#187, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 12

Where can you get the stealthbox for that much. Stan paid almost 500 bucks for his. I want to get the stealthbox, but got speakers instead because of the price.

-Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed
GST exhaust | custom cold air intake | axxis pads | Hurricane_GS shifter | Progress Springs | Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player & Speakers
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

toykillaNov-06-01 07:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#188, "RE: Best bass for the buck?"
In response to Reply # 13

a shop around here sells them for 150-200$

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #174 Previous topic | Next topic