Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1582
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I got a problem......" Previous topic | Next topic
tmack104Feb-17-02 03:05 PM
Member since Dec 18th 2001
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1582, "I got a problem......"

i jsut finished installing a new head unit, pioneer (deh-p7300) 2 6x9 3 ways and 2 6's 2 ways - all pioneer. my problem lies in the sub and amp. the sub works - i connected it to some house speakers. It is a rockford fosgate 150 x 1 punch. the led light comes on, and everything seems to be connected correctly but the sub gets no signal, i checked the inline fuse, it is fine and everything else seems good. I have a few ideas what the problem could be, can you guys help me narrow the fies, or give me some better ones???

1. The RCA isnt connected correctly to the back of the head unit but then why when i take the rca out does the led on the amp go out? that would say to me it gets a signal.

2. the ground isnt ground . will it still turn on but just not send signal out if it isnt ground correctly or what?

3. the amp came with a 15 amp fuse, but i couldnt figure out what to do with it, there is no where to put it, it also came with a black harness that the fuse can go into - but the leads from the harness is a single loop of wire connecting both ends - what good is that?

Thanks guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
fasterGSFeb-17-02 03:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1583, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 0

I woulda say you were right about the RCA not being plugged in. The amp will still turn on without it. If it wsnt ground correctly the amp wouldnt turn on at all, and the same if you didnt have that fuse where is was suppose to go. Check your RCAs.... if not that then check speaker wire, if not that then buy a new amp lmao.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

tmack104Feb-17-02 03:19 PM
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1584, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks - anyone else got any ideas if that doesnt work? Oh , and i was on a very limited budget so no making fun of my lil stuff , i got it all for 500 bucks - so im pleased enough.

fasterGSFeb-17-02 03:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1585, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 2

Hope I didnt make the impression that I was making fun of anything, because I certainly wasnt.

tmack104Feb-17-02 03:37 PM
11 posts,
#1586, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 3

no - that was jsut a disclaimer - u didnt inspire it at all. By the way- is there any way to get notifed when a thread gets a new post?

TeamXtremeRSFeb-17-02 04:28 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1587, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmm...that's odd that your power light goes out when you disconnect the rca's, never heard of that before. Well to start, i believe the pioneer head has a feature on it to turn on or off the sub out on the head unit. Check to be sure it's on, if you are using the sub out, and if it does actually have one(can't remember for sure). Next, be sure you are using the proper remote turn on lead from the head unit. Some head units provide 2 control wires, one for amps, and one for a power ant. the power ant one turns off when a cd is put in, so double check that the blue wire from the head unit is connected to the amp's turn on terminal, and that it's powering up when the head is turned on. Next, be sure that the ground is cleanly grounded, to bare metal, with a bolt. Be sure your power wire from the battery is good and the amp is seeing the power. The amp itself should have a spot for a fuse in it, somewhere. I'm not too sure what you meant that you couldn't find it. I remember when i had a simlar prob with an amp that's light was on, but nothing sounding. It was actually that there wasn't any power coming from the battery wire. Somehow, the amp turn on wire was making the power light come on, so just double check all of your connections and most importantly, your ground.. The black fuse holder that you have is supposed to be cut in half, and one end on the battery, and the other going to your amp. Just crimp together a power wire onto the end of it going to your amp. BE SURE to fuse the power wire at the battery to protect your power wire in case of a short. If its not fused, and the power wire shorts to the car's body or a ground somehwere, a fire can result. The fuse at the battery is meant to protect the wire, not the amp. That's why most amps have their own fuses on the outside of the amp somewhere, those are meant to protect the amp..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

tmack104Feb-18-02 12:13 PM
11 posts,
#1588, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for all the information - it was helpful, i had already done most of what u said already. I bought an amp kit that included the inline fuse already i guess that is why i didnt realize what that was. None of these things however fixed the problem. I checked the power and ground with a multi meter and got about 13 volts, so that seems to be working, my head unit doesnt have a remote for the power antenna - i spliced the power antenna wire into the remote for the amp - sucks cause it doesnt go down when i put on cd - ill have to make a switch for it. There is no external place for a fuse on the amp. It is a rockford fosgate 150 x 1 punch if youknow anything about those amps. The only thing that i can find for where the fuse might be is to remove the plate covering the bottom of the amp - there are 4 allen screws that i could take out, but that will expose the entire circutry of the amp i believe. so i still have the problem...

TeamXtremeRSFeb-18-02 01:33 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1589, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 6

Hmmm..Are you sure you are getting a signal into the amp through the rca's??? If everything else is ok with the remote, power and ground, then i would have to say its a bad amp. If you have a volt meter, try this.. Set volts to AC volts on meter, and put the pos test lead on the rca's center pin, and the neg test lead on the outer part of the rca plug. Turn on the radio or cd, and turn up the volume at a decent level. The voltage on the meter should fluctuate rapidly leting you know that there is an audio signal going through it. Unless you have another amp to see if its getting an audio signal at the rca's, i would try this. Really, thats all there is, make sure the amp is powered up properly, and that there is signal going into it, and also, that the sensitivity adjustment on the amp isn't turned down all the way(forgot to mention that before, but i'm sure you've already checked). See where that leads you, and if still to no avail, then i say its a bad amp.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Tantalus000Feb-18-02 06:17 PM
Member since Jan 25th 2002
423 posts,
#1590, "RE: I got a problem......"
In response to Reply # 0

i had a similar problem, with almost the same amp i have a RF 250.2 (I love iT!!) anyways make sure your LEVELS are turned up on the amp, i had mine all connected up and ready and no sound was coming out and i was like WTF!! GRRs checked all the wires and it was just the level turned it up and BOOOM BOOM BOOM i have mine hooked up to a 10" sony xplod out of one channel not x-overd and it is still loud as hell i am very happy, u can get the 10" sony for $38.00 NEW at circut city!! GO!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1582 Previous topic | Next topic