Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1318
View in linear mode

Subject: "steal proofing our DECKS???" Previous topic | Next topic
flossinpnoyracerJan-31-02 12:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1318, "steal proofing our DECKS???"

can you guys think of anything to lock down our decks from theft???

jess worried again

also i was thinkin of a indash monitor anywords on how to fuckin conceal it or some shit???

1999 GST

1997 RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-31-02 01:57 PM, #1
RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Jan-31-02 03:27 PM, #2
RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, All4thaN0okie, Jan-31-02 03:28 PM, #3
      RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, CVedEclipse, Jan-31-02 09:15 PM, #4
      RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, flossinpnoyracer, Feb-01-02 02:45 AM, #5
           RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, iamnotwhoiam, Feb-01-02 03:00 AM, #6
                RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, vegasdsmr, Feb-01-02 07:03 AM, #7
      RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, FuSi0N, Feb-01-02 07:29 AM, #8
RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-01-02 11:39 AM, #9
RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-02-02 02:23 PM, #10
      RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, Teameclipse804, Feb-02-02 03:37 PM, #11
           RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, jZa, Feb-02-02 03:53 PM, #12
           RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-03-02 06:02 AM, #13
                RE: steal proofing our DECKS???, jZa, Feb-03-02 09:59 AM, #14

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-31-02 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1319, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 0

Line the whole damn thing in razorblades. If they're gonna rip it out, make 'em pay for it with blood.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorsd_eclipseJan-31-02 03:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#1320, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 1

You could always go to a local home depot or what ever it is in your area and see if they carry "security screws" Its a weird looking screw with just two holes in it. It takes a special bit to be able to put them in and remove them. Then its just a matter of replacing the four screws that hold the radio to the bracket and the other four screws the hold the bracket to the car. Granted its not totally steal proof but it will make that much more of a bitch to remove.

All4thaN0okieJan-31-02 03:28 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#1321, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 1

i thought about that... and talked to some people about it... (my insurance agent) and he said not to do it cuz you could get sued for alot of $ even though they're breaking into your car...

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

CVedEclipseJan-31-02 09:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#1322, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 3

i would say no.. if someone wants to steal your headunit, they will.. i dont think new screws will help that much, because the plastic housing where you screw the brace in is made from cheap ass plastic. any slight yank on it and im pretty sure that it will break. i would just get the insurance company to cover it, if its is an expensive HU.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

flossinpnoyracerFeb-01-02 02:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#1323, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 4

yea using different screws is pointless because the theives jess ripped apart my center console and yanked out my receiver. the mounting bracket for the radio is connected to the whole dash and they cracked the fuck out of it and then my whole dash needed to be replaced yes insurace covers it its just a big hassle of gettin things fixed

1999 GST

1997 RS

iamnotwhoiamFeb-01-02 03:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#1324, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 5

you could always try and make a custom mounting bracket made of metal that will bolt directly to the body of the car.. and then mate up with the stock placing of the head unit.. or make some sort of panel that you can put over the headunint to hide it when you are not in the car..

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

vegasdsmrFeb-01-02 07:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#1325, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 6

when i upgrade my deck, ima cut the face of the stocker, and slap that bitch on top of my new shitz when im in da ghetto.

basically, u will become friends with jerry and rig

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

FuSi0NFeb-01-02 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#1326, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 3

>i thought about that... and talked to some people about
>it... (my insurance agent) and he said not to do it cuz you
>could get sued for alot of $ even though they're breaking
>into your car...
>
>
Thats sucks to be sued for such a reason, hehe only in America.

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

TeamXtremeRSFeb-01-02 11:39 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1327, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 0

The best thing to do is to make a mounting plate out of metal to cover your entire radio and climate control guages. A lot of custom work, but much harder to get out. A lot of imagination too. I personally would just do the basics--- Get a detachable face, and DON'T keep it in the car! Get an alarm. If theives really want it, they will get it, no matter what. Don't sabotage your deck, you can get sued, believe it or not. If you really put it in there very good, you are looking at the thieves doing a hell of alot more damage to your car, then what the cost of the radio is. If you really piss em off by making it really difficult, they might even do other kinds of damage to your car, so I personally wouldn't make things very hard. Just make sure your insurance comp will cover it, if not, then pay a lil more to cover it, most ins comps will do that for a very small fee every month. I hate thieves, but what can you really do??? Its sad that there a low life scum like them to mess up your day, or week for that matter...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-02-02 02:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1328, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine is screwed into the metal brackets on the side of my head unit. To get it out they would have to destroy the dash. Besides hided and removable face and then a security code that whenever it looses power needs to be input. So they will destroy my car and get a radio they can't use... sucks huh?

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Ported/Polished Intake Manifold 1/2, Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, Crane Ignition Amp

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Teameclipse804Feb-02-02 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1329, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 10

Well the thing is, you can order new head unit faces from any stereo shop. And I'm pretty sure there is a way to reset security codes in an aftermarket deck in case you forget. I think the best thing to do is just always take your removeable face with you, and don't try to come up with devices that will cover it or something (or else it makes it look even more suspicious like you have really valuable stuff to hide). Also, those Sony pure black faces that open up and are silver are stupid imo if you want it for security. Sony markets it as a cool antitheft feature. Any thief would recognize the pure black display of the unit and know it's worth even more than any plain old head unit.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

jZaFeb-02-02 03:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#1330, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 11

buy an eclipse deck, if they steal it, they can't use it (unless eclipse has some twisted bitches working for them), and they will replace it within the first year if it is stolen

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-03-02 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1331, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 11

I thought the only way to reset those was by the manufacturer? And then you need proof of purchase?

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Ported/Polished Intake Manifold 1/2, Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, Crane Ignition Amp

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

jZaFeb-03-02 09:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#1332, "RE: steal proofing our DECKS???"
In response to Reply # 13

If you're referring to my post Michael, i'm not sure if you'd have to send it to eclipse or if the dealers can do it. If dealer's can do it I guess there is a way for them to scam also. It would be a lot harder if they have to go through eclipse themselves. Either way I think its better than a detachable face, since people usually get tired of taking it off, or take it off and just put it under the seat, or sometimes you're just in a hurry and don't do it.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1318 Previous topic | Next topic