Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13127
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adding secondary battery to trunk?" Previous topic | Next topic
iamnotwhoiamMay-15-11 08:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13127, "Adding secondary battery to trunk?"

Anyone ever run a smaller secondary battery into their trunk for audio purposes?

I have been thinking of adding a Shuriken SK-BT20 to the trunk to run my amps from and maybe even replacing the front battery with one smaller as well.

Thoughts?

Here is some info on the battery above:

http://www.bicostereo.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5622

-High Performance Battery for use with audio system
-Handles up to 600 watts RMS
-Built with AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) technology allows the battery to be mounted in any position without spilled
-Resistant to heavy vibrations and heat
-Super low ESR
-Amp Hours: 20ah
-Cranking Amps: 850a
-Weight: 15 lbs.
-Dimensions: 3"D x 7-1/2"W x 6-1/2"H

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, RoninEclipse2G, May-21-11 02:02 PM, #1
RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, iamnotwhoiam, May-21-11 02:11 PM, #2
      RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, RoninEclipse2G, May-21-11 02:37 PM, #3
           RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, iamnotwhoiam, May-21-11 02:40 PM, #4
                RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, RoninEclipse2G, May-21-11 03:27 PM, #5
                     RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, iamnotwhoiam, May-21-11 07:59 PM, #6
                          RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, RoninEclipse2G, May-25-11 06:41 PM, #7
                          RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, iamnotwhoiam, May-25-11 07:48 PM, #8
                          RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?, predsfan029, Jun-03-12 01:09 PM, #9

RoninEclipse2GMay-21-11 02:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13128, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 0

Make sure it's a sealed battery that doesn't require venting. I couldn't tell from the link if that one was or not. The vapors released from a battery can concentrate to deadly levels very quickly inside the cabin of a car. Otherwise it will work, but you're still dealing with our wussy alternators. Basically it's a bandaid fix.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

iamnotwhoiamMay-21-11 02:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#13129, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 1

Would it be good to possibly go with 2 small batteries one up front and one in the back? The one I suggested is a sealed battery and can be mounted in just about any direction or location.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

RoninEclipse2GMay-21-11 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13130, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 2

The problem you're still dealing with is the fact that the alternator really isn't up to the job of keeping up with the draw that a big stereo creates. An extra battery takes some of the stress directly off of the alternator for a while, but take a good long drive with the stereo bumping and eventually the alternator won't be able to keep up and you'll either burn it out or drain the system.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

iamnotwhoiamMay-21-11 02:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#13131, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 3

Bummer. I guess I'll just to find one of those high output alternators then as a long term solution in addition to using one of those small batteries.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

RoninEclipse2GMay-21-11 03:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13132, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 4

There you go!

I found out the hard way years ago that you can't ecsape the lack of a high output alternator with a big stereo. Things like backup batteries and capacitors help to soften the blow to the charging system, but they're just bandaids on a bleeding artery.

There's a little math involved in figuring exactly out how much juice you actually need, but I figured out years ago that a 1600 watt stereo (what I had in my car) needs ~120 amps of current at 14 volts to play at full tilt. Normal listening was at half volume so the draw would have been around 60-80 amps. Running the car takes about 50-60 amps without the heater/AC, lamps and stereo. Our alternators put out 85 amps IIRC.

Quickie math!
85 amps output
- 50 amps running power
- 80 amps stereo draw
-45 amps excess draw

Your system may not be that big, but you get the idea.

Erik P.

iamnotwhoiamMay-21-11 07:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#13133, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 5

seems the stock alt is 90amps. I have about 1200watts between my 2 amps.

Fun stuff.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

RoninEclipse2GMay-25-11 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13134, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 6

Meh, I was off by 5 amps

Erik P.

iamnotwhoiamMay-25-11 07:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#13135, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Meh, I was off by 5 amps

That's right.. now I have to give you negative points!

Any suggestions to a reputable place that sells a good high output alternator for our cars?

I knew there was once a place called 4altstart which seems to have moved to http://www.alterstart.biz/ now and I was probably going to go with them back then. I wonder if there are other places that anyone else may suggest.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

predsfan029Jun-03-12 01:09 PM
Member since Feb 19th 2011
29 posts,
#13149, "RE: Adding secondary battery to trunk?"
In response to Reply # 6

youll be fine adding a 2nd batt in the trunk, as long as its a sealed batt. also if your just running a 1200w amp, there is no need for a high output alt as long as you have the 2nd batt. i had 2 3000w amps in mine with 3 xs power d3100 batts on the stock alt and had no issues. you can also add a volt meter, i use the stinger one that you can find on ebay for bout 25, so that you can watch your voltage to make sure its not dropping to low.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13127 Previous topic | Next topic