Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13101
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??" Previous topic | Next topic
BossRsTAug-09-10 04:30 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2010
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13101, "Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"

I was wondering if my 3200watt Sound System can kill my ECU? I recently upgraded the system about 3weeks before my ECU died. I just wanna make sure iits not the system and infact the Ecu was faulty. I replace the ECU about 1 month ago, from a junk yard. Is there anyway this was my systems fault?

Coupe with the pipe loud, sounds like a dragon!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-09-10 06:27 PM, #1
RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, BossRsT, Aug-09-10 06:49 PM, #2
      RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, Slo2g, Aug-16-10 10:41 PM, #3
           RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, BossRsT, Aug-16-10 11:07 PM, #4
                RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, Slo2g, Aug-17-10 05:22 AM, #5
                     RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, BossRsT, Aug-17-10 12:21 PM, #6
                          RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, Slo2g, Aug-18-10 09:48 AM, #7
                               RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, BossRsT, Aug-18-10 03:40 PM, #8
                                    RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, Slo2g, Aug-19-10 08:48 PM, #9
                                         RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??, baconater3000, Aug-28-10 07:04 PM, #10

RoninEclipse2GAug-09-10 06:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13102, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-09-10 06:30 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Let's see...

Quickie in the head math here, but it's close enough to be safe.

Ohms law states that to completely power that system you would need ~180 amps at 14 volts. Our alternators are rated for like 80 or 90 amps.

Unless you have a high power alternator and an external regulator I'd say that the internal regulator in the ECU could have died under that load and taken out the whole thing.

Rare and unlikely, but not impossible with the limited info that you've provided.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BossRsTAug-09-10 06:49 PM
19 posts,
#13103, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 1

What other info do you need? And I have a regular stock alternator.

Slo2gAug-16-10 10:41 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#13104, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 2

What kind of 3200 watt system did you have? Do you have 1/0 ga run through the car, single battery, capacitor, etc?

BossRsTAug-16-10 11:07 PM
19 posts,
#13105, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 3

I have 4g & 8g wire ran through the car, 1.2 farad tsunami cap, 1000wt amp for the interiors 2200wt amp for the subs. I have the stock alternator. Oh and for the grounds I have 1 ground to the chasis and the rest to a ground block.

Slo2gAug-17-10 05:22 AM
1074 posts,
#13106, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 4

What kind of amps are they? I find it hard to believe that you have a true 1000watt amp driving your door speakers. It may say 1000watt on it but not even the best speakers (ie. Focal, Boston Acoustics, etc) can handle close to that and not blow. Do you know what Ohm load you are running them at and what the amp is rated for at those ohm levels? This makes a huge difference on the strain on your electrical system.

BossRsTAug-17-10 12:21 PM
19 posts,
#13107, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 5

I honestly don't know how to check or what my Ohm level is.

Slo2gAug-18-10 09:48 AM
1074 posts,
#13108, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 6

Thats fine, what Brand is the Amp?

BossRsTAug-18-10 03:40 PM
19 posts,
#13109, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 7

1000wt -- boss audio. 2200wt -- power acoustik?...

Slo2gAug-19-10 08:48 PM
1074 posts,
#13110, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 8

Those are not true 1000w and 2200w amps, the power acoustic is probably 700w or so, and the boss amp is probably 300-400 if that. If you can get a model number of them we can google the amp specs and give you a better answer. But your sound system should not have killed your ecu.

baconater3000Aug-28-10 07:04 PM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#13111, "RE: Can My Sound System KILL my ECU??"
In response to Reply # 9

the boss amp is more than likely running about 200-250...and that PA amp is running about 700-840...rms wise...make power will not be a acheived... but I had a Kove mono block class d 2000rms pushing a solo x 18 in my eclipse and a boston i think it was a 200rms and pusing all 4 int speakers along with the 2 4" kick panels i put in. so i doubt it was the load killing the ecu...but is possible

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13101 Previous topic | Next topic