Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13075
View in linear mode

Subject: "6x9's or another set of 6.5" Previous topic | Next topic
DSMbryanMay-05-10 04:13 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2009
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13075, "6x9's or another set of 6.5"

A while back I bought a pair of Alpine Type-S speakers (5.25) and a pair of Type-S (6.5).

Well the (5.25) are messed up and was wondering what some of you guys would do.

Buy a pair (6x9) and put them in the back and take the (6.5) I have in the back now

and send them to the front or buy another set of (6.5) and have front and rear speakers

all being (6.5).

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, RoninEclipse2G, May-05-10 06:40 PM, #1
RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, DSMbryan, May-05-10 10:21 PM, #2
      RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, Slo2g, May-05-10 11:00 PM, #3
           RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, Moderatorteklein, May-06-10 04:09 AM, #4
                RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, valdeelrico, May-18-10 09:38 PM, #5
                     RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, dsm247, Jul-03-10 10:48 PM, #6
                     RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, Moderatorteklein, Jul-04-10 06:26 AM, #7
                          RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-05-10 10:56 AM, #8

RoninEclipse2GMay-05-10 06:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13076, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 0

Wrong area, but I'll answer because I'm a softie for audio.

I have 6.5's up front and 6x9's in back and I LOVE the improvement in the range and depth over the stock 5.25's / 6.75's

You will have to modify or purchase new mounts to get the bigger speakers to fit. GS and up cars had speaker pods for the front doors that will mount 6.5" speakers quite easily, but they will NOT fit behind manual door panels. You will either need a GS or to swap over to power doors (well worth the time)

For the rears, 90% of the cars out there came with an oversized 6.5" (really a 6.75" ). If you can find the speaker mounts from a car that had an infinity stereo they had 6x9" speakers in the back, but last I checked Mitsu doesn't have a valid part # for the mount look for a used set or do like I did and just cut them out to fit the 6x9

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DSMbryanMay-05-10 10:21 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2009
13 posts,
#13077, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 1

lucky me i have a GS with power locks and windows. I've looked around in other

forums and some people are saying the 6.5 will have better sound quality and the

6x9 just have more bass but i have a subwoofer for that. I think i am going to get

the 6x9 anyways because it will fill up the rear pod better instead of me having to

use washers to hold the 6.5 which i am doing now so. I like to keep things as stock

looking as possible i am sure i'll be just as happy with either of the two so might

as well make it look good. Thanks for the reply man.

Slo2gMay-05-10 11:00 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#13078, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 2
May-05-10 11:00 PM by Slo2g

What I've always done is get a 6.5 component speaker. I have Alpine R's in the front now but I'm planning on swapping over to Kicker QS 6.5 componets soon but you mount the woofer in the door, mount the crossover in the dash, and mount the tweeter under the factory 3 grill on the dash. If you wanted to go even further there is a spot to mount some 4's on the front of the dash too, that creats a GREAT front sound stage and if you added the 6x9 for the back and put a 4 channel amp on it all it will be a VERY clean sounding set up. IF you wanted a little more bass you can add an 8 or 10" sub in the back(or if you like rap etc. music you can add a 12 or a 15 and so on.( I like metal so I like a 8 or 10 in a seald box for the double pedal )

If you wanted to go even further and get more bass than a sealed box can deliver you can build a 4th order bandpass box and you get more bass but keep the clean/quick bass response too.

ModeratortekleinMay-06-10 04:09 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#13079, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 3
May-06-10 04:10 AM by teklein

I run 6.5's up front, no back speakers, and a 10" sub in the back.

Excellent sound stage, crystal clear music. Cant even tell there are no back speakers.

Also, moving to Audio.

valdeelricoMay-18-10 09:38 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
#13080, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by teklein
I run 6.5's up front, no back speakers, and a 10" sub in the back. Excellent sound stage, crystal clear music. Cant even tell there are no back speakers. Also, moving to Audio.

No offense at all but honestly. you can tell the difference. But if i took them out i wouldn't miss them. I tune down my 6x9's in the back though the even out the sound in the cab. Oh yeah i have a sub woofer in the trunk.

dsm247Jul-03-10 10:48 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2010
23 posts,
#13094, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 5

im runnning rockfords all around 5.25 componet in front 6.5 componet in the back 12in shallow sub with 500 amp for sub and 4 channel amp for the speakers. sounds great

ModeratortekleinJul-04-10 06:26 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#13095, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by valdeelrico
Originally posted by teklein I run 6.5's up front, no back speakers, and a 10" sub in the back. Excellent sound stage, crystal clear music. Cant even tell there are no back speakers. Also, moving to Audio.
No offense at all but honestly. you can tell the difference. But if i took them out i wouldn't miss them. I tune down my 6x9's in the back though the even out the sound in the cab. Oh yeah i have a sub woofer in the trunk.

Haha. Your wrong, you cannot tell the difference.

Unless you mean the fact that it sounds ten times cleaner.

RoninEclipse2GJul-05-10 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13096, "RE: 6x9's or another set of 6.5"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by valdeelrico
Originally posted by teklein I run 6.5's up front, no back speakers, and a 10" sub in the back. Excellent sound stage, crystal clear music. Cant even tell there are no back speakers. Also, moving to Audio.
Haha. Your wrong, you cannot tell the difference. Unless you mean the fact that it sounds ten times cleaner.

If you take the time to setup the audio properly the 6x9's in the rear can really fill in some sound that is lacking between the sub and the front speakers. I really miss the setup I used to have back when I was big in car audio. It was a Boston Pro 6.5/tweet component setup in the stock locations up front and Boston refrence 6x9 coaxials in the back with Xtant amps and subs in the trunk. You could really hear the midrange drop out if you played with the fader and pushed everything up front to eliminate the rear 6x9's

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13075 Previous topic | Next topic