Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13035
View in linear mode

Subject: "Preventing Audio Theft" Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickJun-29-09 01:02 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13035, "Preventing Audio Theft"

Well Im planning on going to my local car shop and getting a car alarm installed. Unfortunately all they have is Audiovox alarm systems but I guess its better than nothing.

Other than a car alarm, does anyone have any tips/experiences with preventing theft of audio equipment from our 2gs? Im now very worried about my cars safety.

Last night my buddy with a 99 GS parked his car at the movie theatre to watch a movie. He comes out to his car alarm going off and the drivers side window broken out. They had jumped in, ripped the trim and center console apart trying to get to this Jensen flip out. Thankfully, he didnt use a dash install kit, just the original mounting bracket, so they couldnt get it out. Im sure if they would have had more time and a simple screw driver they could have had it. They didnt touch his wallet or his GFs purse sitting the in the back seat. One of the theatre employees heard the car alarm go off and called the sherrif. Within 6 minutes of calling, he was there. He said this was the 3rd break in at that location that week.

So what can I do to stop a theif in the chance my car is targeted and they get in? I also have a flip out and its also bolted down. My preference would be to really fuck someone up who tries to grab it. Ive heard of people putting razor blades in there somehow. Should I just rig up a deadman switch to the ground? They take it, BOOM. New car and no more theif!

Thanks for any help I get. Its getting to the point I dont want to drive my car anywhere.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Preventing Audio Theft, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-29-09 04:14 PM, #1
RE: Preventing Audio Theft, Nightfall, Jun-29-09 08:02 PM, #2
      RE: Preventing Audio Theft, whtclipse98, Jun-30-09 02:30 PM, #3
           RE: Preventing Audio Theft, 740 turbo brick, Jun-30-09 10:56 PM, #4
                RE: Preventing Audio Theft, Nightfall, Jul-01-09 02:21 AM, #5
                RE: Preventing Audio Theft, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-01-09 10:29 AM, #6
                     RE: Preventing Audio Theft, 740 turbo brick, Jul-01-09 03:11 PM, #7
                          RE: Preventing Audio Theft, whtclipse98, Jul-01-09 04:16 PM, #8
                               RE: Preventing Audio Theft, 740 turbo brick, Jul-01-09 10:21 PM, #9
                                    RE: Preventing Audio Theft, def_98gs, Sep-05-09 12:06 AM, #10
                                         RE: Preventing Audio Theft, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-30-09 06:28 PM, #11

RoninEclipse2GJun-29-09 04:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13036, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 0

Unfortunately all you can do is work at prevention as best possible. Park in well lit areas as close as possible to the main enterance of wherever you are. Make sure that the indicator light for the security system is as obvious as possible. Hide things that would draw attention to your car as best possible

BANME! the audivox units are too cheap and easy to false out and disable. If I were you I'd wait and spend the money to get something better quality.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NightfallJun-29-09 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#13037, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-29-09 08:03 PM by Nightfall

I really don't like the idea of not having a detachable faceplate either. So I came up with a pretty good idea (well to me anyway) the other day about theft prevention for my touchscreen indash unit. I plan on making a cover that simply snaps on the unit disguising it as a plain dash panel, maybe with the Mitsu logo on it or something. Should be pretty simple to make, and wouldn't attract attention. Out of sight, out of mind...

whtclipse98Jun-30-09 02:30 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#13038, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry to get off topic but Nightfall takes pics when you do it. I'd like to see the whole process behind what you do and such.

On topic, like everyone else has said, if a thief wants it, they'll get it regardless. All you can do is get a really, really good alarm and I don't mean an ebay alarm and don't leave anything out in the open that will attract attention to a theif.

740 turbo brickJun-30-09 10:56 PM
831 posts,
#13039, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 3

Well Im working on the prevention matter. I went to home depot and grabbed some chain. I put the chain on the back of my head unit, and bolted the other end tought to the chassis. So when you unbolt it from the din, it can only move about half an inch. Basically theres no getting it out unless you know where the chain is bolted down.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

NightfallJul-01-09 02:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#13040, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 4

LOL! Never thought/heard of that one!

RoninEclipse2GJul-01-09 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13041, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Well Im working on the prevention matter. I went to home depot and grabbed some chain. I put the chain on the back of my head unit, and bolted the other end tought to the chassis. So when you unbolt it from the din, it can only move about half an inch. Basically theres no getting it out unless you know where the chain is bolted down.

Slight problem with that.

In my experience, most theives will destroy things that they can't steal. When I worked at the stereo shop we'd see 1 out of every 10 theft jobs where the theives couldn't get the parts out, every one of those would have screwdrivers shoved through the faces, speakers, etc.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

740 turbo brickJul-01-09 03:11 PM
831 posts,
#13042, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 6

I was thinking about that. But Id rather have them waste their time and possibly get caught than steal and possibly sell something I spent my hard earned money on. I may lose my DVD player but they dont get it either. Mine actually has an anti-theft code on it. When its disconnected and you hook it back up, you have to put in a 4 digit code before you do anything. So even if they do get it, its useless.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

whtclipse98Jul-01-09 04:16 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#13043, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 7

Not always the case. I can get access codes for radios very easy. Most of the time if you call the manufacturer, they will give you the code also, if you have all the information. Most factory radios are the same way. Both mine and my dad's honda have anti-theft codes and I was able to call with all the information and get the new codes. My dad's I was able to get it on the internet.

740 turbo brickJul-01-09 10:21 PM
831 posts,
#13044, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 8

This is one I set myself, but I dont doubt the fact that you can get them from the manufacturer. Such as if you forget your code.

Theres pics of the chain I used. Looks pretty sturdy to me.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

def_98gsSep-05-09 12:06 AM
Member since Mar 04th 2009
9 posts,
#13048, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 9

There's a place in my town that I took my Kenwood deck to and they were able to reset it and it allowed me to enter a new password. Only paid like $20. and sticking to the "out of sight, out of mind" theme, it's always a good idea if you have subs to use the little "trunk lid" that goes up and down with the hatch. I'm missing mine and it drives me nuts that I can kind of notice the sub box in the day. Granted, I have 5% tint on the hatch but it still bothers me.

ModeratorCorbinSep-30-09 06:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#13049, "RE: Preventing Audio Theft"
In response to Reply # 10

To protect a CD changer and sub box, I used 1/4" braided steel cable to connect them both to a hole available in the sheet metal of the rear strut tower. I looped the strut tower end of the cable with a saddle type clamp with jam nuts. You need two wrenches of the same size to undo the nuts. The cable ran through two holes I drilled in the case of the changer. The cable terminated in another loop with saddle type clamp and jam nuts. This was attached to the sub box by means of a U-bolt with nuts on the inside of the box (you need to remove the speaker to get at the nuts). The sub box was also screwed down to the spare tire cover with about 8 little screws in angle brackets. Braided steel cable is good because it is hard to cut with wire cutters or tin snips (the strands just move out of the way). You need a hacksaw to cut it. When my car got broken into years ago, they took everything else, but gave up on the sub and changer. There were all kinds of cuts in the rubber cover of the cable where they had tried different tools, but just couldn't get it. I did something similar for a friends Jeep that had a couple head units stolen. I cabled it to the body under the dash. It was broken into again, but they didn't get the head unit. It will at least delay them. Every minute spent brings them closer to being caught.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13035 Previous topic | Next topic