Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13029
View in linear mode

Subject: "Amp Hiding locations" Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickJun-14-09 11:05 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13029, "Amp Hiding locations"

Anyone have any sneaky hiding spots for an aftermarket amp? In my case, a quite large Sony Xplod 800watt. My GF and her bro had their entire stereo systems stolen and in the event someone gets in my car, Id rather they not find it. I have one of the sub boxes that fit the shape of my hatch so they wont get that out, and I hide my faceplate in my glovebox. So hiding the amp out of sight or unable to get to easily will help keep my stuff. Any other anti-theft measures you can think of let me know.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Amp Hiding locations, Nightfall, Jun-14-09 11:57 PM, #1
RE: Amp Hiding locations, 740 turbo brick, Jun-15-09 12:17 AM, #2
      RE: Amp Hiding locations, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-15-09 11:27 AM, #3
           RE: Amp Hiding locations, 740 turbo brick, Jun-15-09 02:09 PM, #4
                RE: Amp Hiding locations, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-15-09 03:57 PM, #5
                     RE: Amp Hiding locations, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-30-09 06:38 PM, #6
RE: Amp Hiding locations, BossRsT, Aug-08-10 01:29 PM, #7
RE: Amp Hiding locations, dalesmitsu, Aug-31-10 12:21 PM, #8

NightfallJun-14-09 11:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13030, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-15-09 12:06 AM by Nightfall

Under the seat and I wouldn't advise leaving your faceplate in the glovebox, which is a very common spot to "hide" the faceplate and thieves know this. If they want something bad enough they're gonna get it, reguardless of what they have to tear up to have it. A good aftermarket alarm also helps. As far as I know, the factory alarm doesn't provide any "shock-sensing" abilities.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickJun-15-09 12:17 AM
831 posts,
#13031, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 1

I plan on getting a Viper car alarm here soon. Also when I throw the faceplate in the glovebox, I lock it. I understand they can take a hammer or some shit to it, but again, out of sight, out of mind. I also have my CD player screwed to the original brackets and the chassis instead of the flimsy dash install kits.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

RoninEclipse2GJun-15-09 11:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13032, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm guessing it won't fit under your seat? I'm working on making a hatch cover/parcel shelf that allows more sound to pass through than the normal particle board unit.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

740 turbo brickJun-15-09 02:09 PM
831 posts,
#13033, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah its just too long. Its hitting a piece of the seat on both sides no matter what angle I put it in. That was my original plan because thats where the factory amps go at anyway. Im not sure how easy it would be to break into my car, but in the event someone does all they have to do is fold down my rear seat and pull the amp out at this point. Theres not really too many places to hide something in our cars.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

RoninEclipse2GJun-15-09 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#13034, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 4

The other thought I've had is doing a spare tire well mount sub and raising the floor a few inches to mount the amps under the trunk cover. I've seen it done before and it looks SUPER clean

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorCorbinSep-30-09 06:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#13050, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 5

I hid mine under the seats, but they were taken anyway. Later, I used large 1/4" pop rivits to attach the amps to the backs of the rear seats. You need to feel around to find the sheetmetal supports in the seat backs. If you do it right, a drill is needed to remove the rivit. If you decide to screw the amp to anything, you can buy "tamper resistant" screws. They screw in normally, but will not screw out (due to the head design). You see them on bathroom stalls to keep jack-asses from disassembling the doors. I am using these now and they are a major PITA to remove.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

BossRsTAug-08-10 01:29 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2010
19 posts,
#13097, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 0

When I first upgraded my system I put it on the back of the rear seats. Then I got bored with the look and built a amp rack with LEDs and 2 fans in the spare tire well.

Coupe with the pipe loud, sounds like a dragon!

dalesmitsuAug-31-10 12:21 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#13112, "RE: Amp Hiding locations"
In response to Reply # 7
Aug-31-10 12:22 PM by dalesmitsu

Have you thought or tried under the rear seat towards the driverside awy from the fuel pump. You might able to modify the foam underneath the seat, in form the amp.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #13029 Previous topic | Next topic