Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12859
View in linear mode

Subject: "amp problems" Previous topic | Next topic
HedgeJul-22-07 11:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12859, "amp problems"

Hey, today i decided to install another amp and another sub that i had lyring around, when i took them out of my old car they worked fine. I ran both subs in mono on each amp. now im getting a loude humming sound coming out of the old amp when i run it to eather sub, it doesnt do this in my old car, i even set it up in my old car sence i still have the harness in it. To rur both amps, a four gage wire is coming off the battery, and about a foot of 12 gage wire going off of it to the amps. i have the same set up to the ground. When i run just the new amp i get a small hum, but its not nearly a loude as the old amp. Im pretty confused at what it is, but i have a fealing it is the right input wire off of the deck. any ideas of what to check?

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Styles.Jul-22-07 02:27 PM
Member since May 05th 2007
59 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12860, "RE: amp problems"
In response to Reply # 0

check the voltage of the 2 outputs on the head unit they should be 4 volts

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ThePerfectShiftJul-29-07 09:39 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
#12861, "RE: amp problems"
In response to Reply # 1

are your power wires and RCA wires running down the same side of the vehicle? If so seperate them. What size amps are you running? I would suspect 12 gauge power wire to be insufficient for anything above 300 watts. 2 amps splitting 4 gauge wire can't be fun either. I was running 1 gauge wire to 1 amp and it LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEDDD it. also as mentioned above make sure your Head unit voltage is high enough.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

RoninEclipse2GAug-08-07 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12864, "RE: amp problems"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by ThePerfectShift
are your power wires and RCA wires running down the same side of the vehicle? If so seperate them. What size amps are you running? I would suspect 12 gauge power wire to be insufficient for anything above 300 watts. 2 amps splitting 4 gauge wire can't be fun either. I was running 1 gauge wire to 1 amp and it LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEDDD it. also as mentioned above make sure your Head unit voltage is high enough.

12 guage is insufficient for anything over 100 watts, get bigger wire, you'll fry the amp, subs or both by choking off the power supply.

as stated before the humming is most likely interference from the power and audio cables running too close together, they need several feet of seperation even for the best audio cables not to pick up noise from the power cables

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12859 Previous topic | Next topic