Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12751
View in linear mode

Subject: "Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
ThePerfectShiftMar-30-07 10:15 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12751, "Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"

well I've just gone through my second pair of Audiobahn 15"s. the first pair were cheap (about $150 for two) and withstood about 10 months of knockin at RMS. the second set only took about 4 months at RMS and they were about twice as expensive. They just blew. I think the glue they use is plain garbage. So spend alot of your money once, instead of a little again and again and again.

So anyone got any suggestions on a good set of 15"s or some 12"s that can handle 600-800 watts RMS each?
I'm gonna end up getting a new deck, door speakers, smaller amp for the doors and new subs. so i'm open to suggestions. hopefully I'll get the job i just applied for, that would help speed up the process.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, Idontgotnothn88, Mar-31-07 05:47 AM, #1
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-31-07 05:57 AM, #2
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, ThePerfectShift, Mar-31-07 01:23 PM, #4
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, foggy45, Mar-31-07 06:15 AM, #3
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, EclipseSix, Apr-03-07 08:02 PM, #5
      RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, ThePerfectShift, Apr-04-07 06:43 AM, #6
           RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, EclipseSix, Apr-05-07 07:24 PM, #7
                RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, Idontgotnothn88, Apr-06-07 05:16 AM, #8
                     RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, ThePerfectShift, Apr-07-07 07:24 AM, #9
                          RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-10-07 05:01 AM, #10
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, ModifiedElement, Apr-11-07 03:06 PM, #11
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, jshillin, Apr-12-07 04:19 AM, #12
RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!, baller36969, Apr-13-07 08:51 PM, #13

Idontgotnothn88Mar-31-07 05:47 AM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
52 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12752, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Knowing your used to the panel rattling bass I'de say get Fi audio. They have anything you want that will fit your needs. https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15460e8f4421c62/shopdata/product_overview.shopscript
if you want to destroy some shit with bass get the BTL 18 - Spl: 94.9dB 1W/1m | 95.1dB 1W/1m @ 2000 watts. thats all anyone needs But the Q 15 will give you the best sound quality ive heard from any sub and they will hit harder than the audiobahns.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GMar-31-07 05:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12753, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

are you talking 6-800W RMS from the amp? what size amp are you using? 99% of all speaker driver failure is from LACK of power and the amp maxing out and "clipping" this sends a bad signal to the speaker and overheats the voice coil. the only time i have seen speakers breaking from too much power is during extreme SPL competeions where there is SO much power that the speakers litterally rip themselves apart. if your subs smell burnt then your amp has clipped and fried the voice coils. check and make sure you have big enough wiring to the amp and that you aren't taking max amp wattage and translating that to speaker RMS. amp max power should be equal to at least twice the speaker rms or greater to get the best reliability out of your equipment

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ThePerfectShiftMar-31-07 01:23 PM
199 posts,
#12755, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
are you talking 6-800W RMS from the amp? what size amp are you using? 99% of all speaker driver failure is from LACK of power and the amp maxing out and "clipping" this sends a bad signal to the speaker and overheats the voice coil. the only time i have seen speakers breaking from too much power is during extreme SPL competeions where there is SO much power that the speakers litterally rip themselves apart. if your subs smell burnt then your amp has clipped and fried the voice coils. check and make sure you have big enough wiring to the amp and that you aren't taking max amp wattage and translating that to speaker RMS. amp max power should be equal to at least twice the speaker rms or greater to get the best reliability out of your equipment

No. I'm running a 1200 watt rms amp at 2 ohms JBL GTO1201.1 audiobahn SVC 15"s 600 watt rms each bridged to 2 ohms to run 1200 watt rms off the amp. A perfect match.

I think I'm gonna sell my amp since it's gonna be a few months before I can afford some speakers. and I'm thinking 12" L7s. Not 100%. but they are looking good.

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

foggy45Mar-31-07 06:15 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#12754, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by ThePerfectShift So anyone got any suggestions on a good set of 15"s or some 12"s that can handle 600-800 watts RMS each? I'm gonna end up getting a new deck, door speakers, smaller amp for the doors and new subs. so i'm open to suggestions. hopefully I'll get the job i just applied for, that would help speed up the process.

/////ALPINE
i run 2 type R 12's with an Alpine MRV-t757 (old school V-12 amps) PER sub (bridged to 2ohm) and i cant seem to break them.

12's = 500rms 1500peak
15's = 750rms 2000peak

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

EclipseSixApr-03-07 08:02 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#12757, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

don't sell that amp!, its an amazing piece. I love mine.

ThePerfectShiftApr-04-07 06:43 AM
199 posts,
#12758, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by EclipseSix
don't sell that amp!, its an amazing piece. I love mine.

too late.... I needed the money for rent What do you guys think of two Kicker 12" L7s and a kicker 1500 watt amp, two batteries, and a DUAL indash dvd player? I have had a Dual radio and loved it. I also have a tv in my passenger side visor but it never gets used.

EclipseSixApr-05-07 07:24 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#12761, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Right now being unemployed thats one of my biggest fears. selling my barely 3 month old jbl madragingclean powerhouse of an amp to pay the rent. I rather sell drugs...

Idontgotnothn88Apr-06-07 05:16 AM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
52 posts,
#12762, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

they will hit just as hard as the audiobahns if not harder but they are spl subs that will take as much power as you want to throw at them. they have ok sound quality but any sub sounds amazing in our hatchbacks i say go for it.

ThePerfectShiftApr-07-07 07:24 AM
199 posts,
#12766, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

I think thats what I want to do. I want to build a box for them so mu whole hatch area is level with the speakers sitting flush facing upwards. I think they'll pound.

RoninEclipse2GApr-10-07 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12769, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

it's your deck! that's what's sending out the clipped signal! the DUAL headunits have ridiculously weak preamp outputs! get something stronger like an alpine or kenwood head, they'll put enough juice from the preamp to bump what you've got, you'll probably have to turn the gains WAY down on the amp.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModifiedElementApr-11-07 03:06 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2007
17 posts,
#12770, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmm. Im not quite sure why you had so much of a problem with audiobahn... maybe I just got lucky. I have an audiobahn flame-q 12" sub that can handle 1100 watts RMS. I picked it up for around $100 and I have had it almost 2 years and it is still kicking just the same as the day I bought it. I have been through like 3 head units though (all different brands) and am in need of another.

If you want something that will hit other than audiobahn I suggest checking out Memphis Audio. I havent heard anything bad come from them yet. That or you could go with some good Rockford Fosgates. (I am trying to get the "power series" speakers.)

It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked

jshillinApr-12-07 04:19 AM
Member since Jan 08th 2007
63 posts,
#12771, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

One L7 is a lot in the hatch of an Eclipse. I have one L7 powered by a JL 500/1. It's in the standard kicker ported box so it's pretty efficient. My amp is only turned up half way and I have it turned way back on my deck.

Jason
'99 GS - HRC Stage 2

baller36969Apr-13-07 08:51 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2006
25 posts,
#12773, "RE: Don't buy Audiobahn!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Also have a set of two 500w RMS flame subs from audiobahn powered by 1000w amps each. I've had them for 3 years and they've survived 3 blown amps 2 decks and a nasty head on crash while at full blast. trying to get the immortal series subs from audiobahn, more power!!!

Will work for parts...

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12751 Previous topic | Next topic