Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12734
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alarm Install Question?" Previous topic | Next topic
DanKidMar-22-07 11:05 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12734, "Alarm Install Question?"

What's up guys? I recently got booted out of the garage where I was parking my car so I had to scramble and look for an alarm to install since I have to park on the street. I went with the clifford matrix 70.5 cause of looks and features.
Heres a link to a short demo of the alarm. www.clifford.co.jp/product/07_matrix/video/matrix_70_5.wmv#705

UPS just dropped it off but I noticed that it says on the box that it's only for automatic tranmissions with fuel injection. Will the alarm not work at all if I install it on my manual 2G or does it just say that because most people say it's dangerous to install an automatic car starter on a manual car? I have seen the write-up on here on how to install the auto starters on manual tranny's 2g's but will it work?

My other question is will disconnecting the negative on the battery eliminate any chance of the airbag deploying while messing with the wires on the starter? A local guy near me wants $300 for the install but i've installed my own radio and system so I think i'm gonna try the install myself. Thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Slimyjr.Mar-23-07 04:47 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
212 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12735, "RE: Alarm Install Question?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure about the rest of your questions, but you want to disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal on your battery so that your airbags will not deploy.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorsd_eclipseMar-23-07 06:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#12736, "RE: Alarm Install Question?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-23-07 06:45 AM by sd_eclipse

Originally posted by DanKid
What's up guys? I recently got booted out of the garage where I was parking my car so I had to scramble and look for an alarm to install since I have to park on the street. I went with the clifford matrix 70.5 cause of looks and features. Heres a link to a short demo of the alarm. www.clifford.co.jp/product/07_matrix/video/matrix_70_5.wmv#705 UPS just dropped it off but I noticed that it says on the box that it's only for automatic tranmissions with fuel injection. Will the alarm not work at all if I install it on my manual 2G or does it just say that because most people say it's dangerous to install an automatic car starter on a manual car? I have seen the write-up on here on how to install the auto starters on manual tranny's 2g's but will it work? My other question is will disconnecting the negative on the battery eliminate any chance of the airbag deploying while messing with the wires on the starter? A local guy near me wants $300 for the install but i've installed my own radio and system so I think i'm gonna try the install myself. Thanks in advance.

It says for automatic FI cars only because of the remote start feature. It will work just fine on a 5spd though, just make sure to install a safety so remote start will not function if the car is in gear. I used a window sensor from a home security system on mine. The sensor only lines up correctly when the car is not in gear to complete the ground. This takes a good bit of tweaking with to get correct and sometimes is not 100% but something is better then nothing. Watching your car leap forward because you left it in gear and tried to remote start it is something you dont want to see.

You should always disconnect the battery when messing with anything electrical in the car.

Installing an alarm is nothing like installing radios. It is far more involved, but if you're handy with a volt meter, soldering, hooking up relays etc. You can give it a shot, there's plenty of info on the web about wire locations and their respective colors to help ease alarm installs.

Here's an example for a 99 eclipse.
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1999/Mitsubishi/Eclipse

I would just use this info more as a guide and still test the wires to confirm they are correct. If you have a factory service manual or access to one it will have detail electrical layouts that can help as well.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12734 Previous topic | Next topic