Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12723
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sound Deading help" Previous topic | Next topic
DreamspawnMar-14-07 07:44 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12723, "Sound Deading help"

Bout how much SD does it take to do the hatch panels around hatch doors. I was thinking 40square feet should do the trick. Anybody done this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Sound Deading help, Slo2g, Mar-15-07 09:40 AM, #1
RE: Sound Deading help, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-16-07 04:12 AM, #2
RE: Sound Deading help, edxmon, Mar-20-07 01:21 PM, #3
RE: Sound Deading help, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-10-07 05:32 AM, #10
RE: Sound Deading help, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Mar-22-07 06:56 AM, #4
RE: Sound Deading help, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-24-07 03:59 AM, #5
RE: Sound Deading help, edxmon, Mar-25-07 06:13 PM, #6
      RE: Sound Deading help, 95grayTsi, Mar-29-07 09:41 AM, #7
           RE: Sound Deading help, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-29-07 12:15 PM, #8
           RE: Sound Deading help, dsnthvaclu, Jun-29-07 08:31 AM, #9
                RE: Sound Deading help, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-18-07 08:29 AM, #11
                     RE: Sound Deading help, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-19-07 11:17 AM, #12
RE: Sound Deading help, BossRsT, Aug-08-10 01:33 PM, #13

Slo2gMar-15-07 09:40 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12724, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know on an eclipse, but a friend of mine has his entire trunk and deck lid done in the extreme dynomat and it took about 3 door kits! Oh yeah, it was in an 95 civic.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GMar-16-07 04:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12725, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 1

they sell bulk packs at most stereo shops, about $200 I think, last I got one was about 3-4 years ago. 40-50 sqft I think (might be wrong, memory is a bit fuzzy) also, you don't have to cover every last square inch like a lot of people do, just get a good majority of your surface area. good tests for where it will do the most good is to tap the sheet metal and find the most resonant spots (big flat areas) Also, don't forget to clean, clean, CLEAN! paint thinner and a red scotch brite pad work wonders

edxmonMar-20-07 01:21 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#12731, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 2

try b-quiet.com. same as dynomat but 1/2 the price, im looking into doing this myself.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

2GeclipseRSJul-10-07 05:32 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#12847, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-10-07 05:36 AM by 2GeclipseRS

Originally posted by Slo2g
I don't know on an eclipse, but a friend of mine has his entire trunk and deck lid done in the extreme dynomat and it took about 3 door kits! Oh yeah, it was in an 95 civic.

A buddy of mine has that done in his.

He's gotta do the doors now since his trunk is full of 2 quantum 3000's, 1 quantum 4000, 1 alpine 400x4D, one hell of a crossover and a big soundstream 20farad cap. His back seats have been replaced by four kicker L7 15"s.

You can stick your fingers in the rear doors with the system all the way up and you cannot sit in the car.....

www.ikesound.com has dynomat on the low so check them out.

I've gotta hit them up so i can deaden my hatch. Putting 4 12"s in the back of my eclipse. Nothing special for right now but they'll be moving enough air to make earwax fall out. Linears for right now, Alpine type s's later.

Moderatorsd_eclipseMar-22-07 06:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#12733, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-22-07 06:57 AM by sd_eclipse

Originally posted by Dreamspawn
Bout how much SD does it take to do the hatch panels around hatch doors. I was thinking 40square feet should do the trick. Anybody done this?

Whats your main goal here? Just cutting down on vibrations to get cleaner bass? If that's the case 40sq. ft is over kill IMO. I don't know where people got it in their heads that they must cover everything with dynamat/or a similiar sound deadner. This is so far from the truth.

Hook everything up and bump the shit out of it. Then focus on the trouble areas and go from there.

On the exterior your license plate frame and the heat shield above the muffler will be the main culprits that will rattle like hell and sound like shit on the outside.

Interior wise, the snap clips on the panels tend to be the main trouble makers for rattles. little foam strips around the area where the snap clip snaps into tends to help. Also with our cars, generally speaking sound deadner applied to the back of the panel tends to be more effective compared to being applied to the metal of the car.

If your looking to queit road noise down from outside down so the interior is quieter overall then a sound barrier type foam installed under the carpet is also very effective.

All in all, it just really depends what exactly you are looking to achieve.

RoninEclipse2GMar-24-07 03:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12737, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by sd_eclipse
Whats your main goal here? Just cutting down on vibrations to get cleaner bass? If that's the case 40sq. ft is over kill IMO. I don't know where people got it in their heads that they must cover everything with dynamat/or a similiar sound deadner. This is so far from the truth. Hook everything up and bump the shit out of it.

like I said...

edxmonMar-25-07 06:13 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#12738, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by sd_eclipse
Originally posted by Dreamspawn Bout how much SD does it take to do the hatch panels around hatch doors. I was thinking 40square feet should do the trick. Anybody done this?
Whats your main goal here? Just cutting down on vibrations to get cleaner bass? If that's the case 40sq. ft is over kill IMO. I don't know where people got it in their heads that they must cover everything with dynamat/or a similiar sound deadner. This is so far from the truth. Hook everything up and bump the shit out of it. Then focus on the trouble areas and go from there. On the exterior your license plate frame and the heat shield above the muffler will be the main culprits that will rattle like hell and sound like shit on the outside. Interior wise, the snap clips on the panels tend to be the main trouble makers for rattles. little foam strips around the area where the snap clip snaps into tends to help. Also with our cars, generally speaking sound deadner applied to the back of the panel tends to be more effective compared to being applied to the metal of the car. If your looking to queit road noise down from outside down so the interior is quieter overall then a sound barrier type foam installed under the carpet is also very effective. All in all, it just really depends what exactly you are looking to achieve.

Answered my question exactly, I love the sound of my engine "roaring" (im NA, so its meowing more than anything else ) But Last valentines, when we were coming back, I couldn't hear Valerie talking, gets anoying when you aren't the only one in the car. I think the carpeting insulation will cure my problem, I have an RS, and I think I've read on the archives here, its te only model that came without the extracarpet padding.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

95grayTsiMar-29-07 09:41 AM
Member since Jan 07th 2007
35 posts,
#12749, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 6

to quiet my ride , i used dynamat in the whole hatch area, well then i got a leak and it all got ruined, so i just got the whole hatch rhino lined... quiet as can be

RoninEclipse2GMar-29-07 12:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12750, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 7

interesting idea? cost? weight gain?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

dsnthvacluJun-29-07 08:31 AM
Member since Jun 29th 2007
3 posts,
#12838, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 7

When I picked up my gs the sunroof had a drainage problem so they removed the carpet. So I figured why not dynamat while I'm there anyways right? So far I have put dynamat the entire trunk, both doors, the headliner, the floor and I took the backseat out and used dynamat there too. My car sounds nice and quiet like a mercedez when I am driving. I have used undercoating in the wheel wells before on other vehicles and that actually helps alot too, and is usually a cheaper alternative than sound dampening. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT SPRAY OVER ANY THING LIKE THE DRAINAGE SYSTEM FOR YOUR SUNROOF!!! Keep in mind too I got a HUGE discount on dynamat since I worked in a retail shop.

Never be anything but relentless!
98 eclipse Gs 5speed
Dehp880prs head unit
Diamond D912d4 @4ohms
in custom transmission line box
Rockford t1000.1bd running 500rms @ 4ohm
Kenwood Excelon Front and rears
Kicker 75watt rms x4 channel
Clifford Avantguard 5 alarm w/remote start, window automation, interior siren
starter kill, prox, and tilt

Yea.......and thats just how it sounds on the inside

2GeclipseRSJul-18-07 08:29 AM
781 posts,
#12853, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 9

www.ikesound.com sells dynamat pretty cheap.

Personally, i dont think i'll be needing it. My car doesn't rattle at all. My mirror shakes alot but that's about it.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

2GeclipseRSJul-19-07 11:17 AM
781 posts,
#12854, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 11

Nevermind. I do need dynamat.

I wired my subs parallel and mono at two ohms yesterday. My little kenwoods are getting about 200 watts a peice off my mtx 801D and Everything rattles pretty bad. Spoke too soon.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

BossRsTAug-08-10 01:33 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2010
19 posts,
#13098, "RE: Sound Deading help"
In response to Reply # 0

I was watching Horsepower TV yesterday and they had this thing called Lizard Skin. Its about 150 for the spray gun and a gallon of the sound deading. Its like that Rhino liner.

Coupe with the pipe loud, sounds like a dragon!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12723 Previous topic | Next topic