Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12655
View in linear mode

Subject: "*got a new system and wanted to check alternator*" Previous topic | Next topic
gjabballJan-29-07 08:43 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2003
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12655, "*got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"

I put in a pioneer 680 mp deck, 2 kicker cvr 10's, a p3001 fosgate amp, and a ma audio 489i amp for my highs. I have a diehard gold battery. I tested my alternator and it reads between 12.8 and 13.5 amps depending on how hard the subs are hitting. Do i need an optioma battery or a high output alternator? Nothing is dimming, but i wanted to make sure i don't screw anything up.

Thanks

Greg

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ThePerfectShiftJan-29-07 12:11 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12656, "RE: *got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"
In response to Reply # 0

no you dont need either unless your pushing a huge amount of power. I would reccomend an Optima yellow top, just for good measure. They can die and die and die again and still take a charge, now my red top is a piece of junk, I've had it replaced under warrenty twice and it's dead again without taking a charge... stick with the yellow.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boosted60trimrstFeb-04-07 10:10 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#12659, "RE: *got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"
In response to Reply # 1

u mean volts .if your alt was putting out 13 amps it would be dead . our alt i beleive puts out 120 amps which should be good . i recommend the yellow top and big 3 upgrade . at least 4 gauge cassis ground from battery . 4 gauge ground from motor to chassis and 4gauge power to alt w/200amp fuse

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

reddrifteclipseFeb-23-07 08:58 AM
Member since Apr 10th 2006
47 posts,
#12690, "RE: *got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"
In response to Reply # 2

i have a red top in my car and it works fine. still running stock alt to. have you considered a bass cap? a 1 ferad cap should do you fine. a friend of mine put one in his lude and it helped out a lot.

1996 Eclipse RS - sold, you will be missed
1996 Ram 1500 - Dixie Customs Edition
2001 Durango R/T - the daddy van
2006 Eclipse GS - the new toy

boosted60trimrstFeb-23-07 08:05 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#12691, "RE: *got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"
In response to Reply # 3

caps are just a quick fix it for a badly installed system . your problem will still be there .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-24-07 01:41 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#12692, "RE: *got a new system and wanted to check alternator*"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by boosted60trimrst
caps are just a quick fix it for a badly installed system . your problem will still be there .

Caps were a big idea back in the day. Today most private high end shops will discourage thier use. They do work as a filter with very large amps but should not be used to fill gaps where your electrical system is insufficient.

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12655 Previous topic | Next topic