Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12647
View in linear mode

Subject: "What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?" Previous topic | Next topic
LouisJan-10-07 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
158 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12647, "What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"

Hey guys,
Real stupid question but can't seem to get solid answer. Basically I am having problems with my radio/cd player (stock single cd player) losing power intermittently / flickering. It happens in 2 situations:

a) Engine is off but cd is playing, as in when i go gas up if i have a cd playing especially at medium-high volume, the equipment will start flickering (radio screen light flickers and music stops/starts intermittently)

b) Engine is ON but i am not moving, eg. stopped at a light. This is especially true if i have headlights and a/c going as well...sometimes if i dont have the headlights and a/c going then it wont do it..unless i crank it real high volume then it might also do it.

Everything goes back to normal as soon as the car starts moving again, and it is only the radio light and the music itself that flickers, all other inside lights stay on.

I'm trying to see what powers the radio if the engine is off? on? on but not moving?
I thought the battery only worked to crank the car and to power things if the car engine is off..so if it only did it then I'd be sure its the battery....but the curve ball is that it does it also when the engine is on but car is stopped.....so then i think maybe alternator? or is the alternator only working when the car is moving?

Or maybe the cd player is going...being in service since 1997 every day...it's lasted a while!

My battery is about 2 yrs old, alternator has never been replaced, radio is stock unit...so I am thinking either of the 3 could be it just trying to see which is most likely the culprit so i wont buy a something i don't need.
Thanx!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

boosted60trimrstJan-10-07 10:27 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12648, "RE: What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"
In response to Reply # 0

the radio gets power from the batt. with the car off as soon as u turn the car on the alt will givew the battery more power . use a dmm and see what your battery voltages are . should be 12volts with the car off and 13.8-14 volts with the car on .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NightfallJan-10-07 11:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12649, "RE: What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"
In response to Reply # 1

If your voltages are good, it might be a poor ground on the radio. I had this happen to me before, it would play good until the volume hit a certain point then started cutting out because it wasn't getting enough power. I just added an extra ground wire from the chassis to the radio housing itself and it fixed it until I got a new cd player.

LouisJan-10-07 04:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
158 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12650, "RE: What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys, guess I'll concentrate on the battery first and get it measured if not go for the radio itself.

stvnalnJan-14-07 04:08 PM
Member since Dec 21st 2003
15 posts,
#12651, "RE: What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"
In response to Reply # 3

If your running an under drive pulley, that might explain your symtoms.
An underdrive pulley (depending on manufacturer and type) will make your alternator rotate at a slightly slower RPM at idle than a OEM pulley and result in the alternator not being able to fully charge the electrical system at idle condition.
With this information, try the previous poster's suggestion and check the system with a voltage meter at idle and while running.

MCubed45Jan-18-07 07:27 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#12652, "RE: What powers radio when car is idle...battery or alternator?"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm not sure about the cd version, but the stock radio/tape deck uses the chasis for a ground. there is no ground wire. this means that if your deck is not securely mounted via metal screws to the frame of the car, then it will not work properly and cause a shitload of electrical problems since it's tied into the accesories systems and consequently the lighting systems as well.

i've had to drive while in the midst of doing electrical work on my car and i just stuck the deck back in the dash for the ride. this did provided only an itermittent ground for the system and caused a lot of weird problems. once it was securely mounted everything went away.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12647 Previous topic | Next topic