Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp" Previous topic | Next topic
ShoalsDSM97Dec-17-06 07:15 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2006
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12613, "Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"

Hey guys, i'm getting a new head unit after my harness to the stock infinity amp took a dump on me and cracked in half. Will I have problems installing my new head unit now since the amp will be unplugged completely? Does the stock head unit run to the amp and then out to the speakers? I don't wanna have to cut the harness off and wire all the corresponding wires together but I guess if I have to I can. Or will I be able to wire up the new head unit harness to the stock harness without any problems?

Thanks!

Joseph

FranklinDSM -- RIP (damn pole)
The new car: '97 Eclipse GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-18-06 06:48 AM, #1
RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-18-06 02:49 PM, #2
      RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-19-06 02:01 AM, #3
           RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-19-06 01:33 PM, #4
                RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-20-06 04:09 PM, #5
                     RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-21-06 06:28 AM, #6
                          RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, Slo2g, Dec-21-06 05:42 PM, #7
                               RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-22-06 02:10 AM, #8
                               RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-22-06 05:11 AM, #9
                                    RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, oMInOUs97RS, Dec-22-06 09:29 PM, #10
                                         RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, boosted60trimrst, Dec-24-06 01:45 AM, #11
                                         RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-29-06 06:39 AM, #12
                                              RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-29-06 08:00 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-29-06 10:16 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp, MitsuEclipseGS, Jan-03-07 09:28 AM, #15

MitsuEclipseGSDec-18-06 06:48 AM
Member since Dec 30th 2003
375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12614, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 0

Just bypass the amp and run all new thicker gauge wire from the head unit to the speakers.
-Todd

Star Stage II, Greddy Type S, ADFX 3" DP, blah blah blah

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ShoalsDSM97Dec-18-06 02:49 PM
30 posts,
#12615, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 1

What's a good size to get? 14-16guage any bigger than stock? Also, if I wanna run some 4" in the dash to replace the tweeters, will I be able to with a new head unit? Or is that only possible with the stock unit with the amp that runs the 6 speaker system?

MitsuEclipseGSDec-19-06 02:01 AM
375 posts,
#12616, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 2

Well I have a GS with no factory amp and the car came with 6 speakers. 2 in the dash, 2 in the door, and 2 in the back. You should have no problem with putting new speakers in as long as they fit. And on the wire gauge size, I believe the stock is like 22 gauge, so anything bigger than that would be better.
-Todd

ShoalsDSM97Dec-19-06 01:33 PM
30 posts,
#12618, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the help so far!

I got my amp hooked back up finally. So will I be able to just plug the head unit in like normal? I have the aftermarket harness to hook up the new headunit. Just wondering what's going to happen when I run the head unit with 45Watts and the stock amp with whatever it has. Will it sound crappy going that way?

MitsuEclipseGSDec-20-06 04:09 PM
375 posts,
#12619, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 4

You can try hooking it up that way, but if you dont get any sound or it sounds like crap either you need to rewire the amp or replace the speakers if they are blown.
-Todd

ShoalsDSM97Dec-21-06 06:28 AM
30 posts,
#12620, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks, i'll let ya know how it goes and how it sounds once I get the harness to the stock harness in the mail.

I plan on just bypassing the stock amp with either a 4-way or 2 2-ways once money makes it happen. That way i'll just use the stock harness for the stereo for just power and whatever. The headunit I got has a ton of amp pre-outs. So I should be good!

Slo2gDec-21-06 05:42 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#12621, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 6

Correct me if I am wrong but when he says bypass he means you have to cut the wires going into the amp and after the amp and wire the corresponding wires together. That way you will "bypass" or elimnate the stock amp all together.

MitsuEclipseGSDec-22-06 02:10 AM
375 posts,
#12622, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Slo2g
Correct me if I am wrong but when he says bypass he means you have to cut the wires going into the amp and after the amp and wire the corresponding wires together. That way you will "bypass" or elimnate the stock amp all together.

Correct

ShoalsDSM97Dec-22-06 05:11 AM
30 posts,
#12623, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Slo2g

Yeah that's right. I hope it doesn't come down to that. Because I don't wanna do that at all. It's a mess down there as it is. I do plan on rewiring the speakers with some thicker wire. Well, i'll either do that or if I get a couple of amps i'll rewire them that way hopefully.

oMInOUs97RSDec-22-06 09:29 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
#12624, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 9

You will have to run wires from the radio to the amp, not just jump the wires from one side of the amp to the other... there are no wires to jump. As far as using the 4" speakers in the knee area of the dash, make sure you hook up those speakers in series with the front door speakers so you don't blow up your nice new radio. Anything under 4 ohms will burn out the internal amplifier of a radio.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

boosted60trimrstDec-24-06 01:45 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#12625, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 10

18 gauge will be sufficiant . as far as i know all eclipses have 6 speakers even without the infinity . your best bet is to get a set of components (mids,tweets,crossovers) and hook it up to a 2 channel amp . rear speakers are bad for the sound stage of the car . most pro installations do not use rear fill because it moves the staging to the rear of the car .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

ShoalsDSM97Dec-29-06 06:39 AM
30 posts,
#12626, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 10

all i'm gunna do is hook up the aftermarket radio harness and then plug it in like I normally would on any other car and see what happens.

If i'm satisfied with that i'm going to just stick with that set up, if not i'll run wires from the aftermarket harness to the speakers. I wanna avoid that, though so hopefully it'll sound alright.

Will I blow the internal amp of the head unit by just plugging it in this way? I got the head unit for free so it's no biggy but i'd rather not have it blow.

I plan on installing it today so i'll let you guys know!

Joseph

MitsuEclipseGSDec-29-06 08:00 AM
375 posts,
#12627, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 12

The most that will happen is you wont here any sound or it will sound shitty like your speakers are blown. You shouldnt blow up anything.
-Todd

ShoalsDSM97Dec-29-06 10:16 AM
30 posts,
#12628, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 13

wow, this thing sounds awesome! Thanks to everyone for their help!

I couldn't be happier...well i could...I want some subs now!

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot and I don't want a ton of space being taken up. I listen to about 50% rap and 50% rock type music, so I don't want a ton of bass but I do want a lot of hit for the rock type music. I'm thinkin' one or two 10" subs.

What's a good sub that won't cause me to break the bank?

Joseph

MitsuEclipseGSJan-03-07 09:28 AM
375 posts,
#12635, "RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp"
In response to Reply # 14

I have 2 10" polk db's and they sound great.

-Todd

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12613 Previous topic | Next topic