Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12508
View in linear mode

Subject: "new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinSep-17-06 02:14 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12508, "new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
Sep-17-06 02:16 PM by Sorry_i_Win

New Audio System...

Two Orion H2 15.2 subwoofers
Specs for Each:
- 15" dual 2 ohm voice coils
- 2000 W RMS
- 2500 W Peak

Two Power Acoustik A3000DB Amps
Specs for Each:
- 3000 W Peak
- 2300 W RMS @ 1 ohm

Box Specs:
1.5" MDF construction
4.5 cu ft (2.25 cu ft per sub)
6" flared port tuned to 32 Hz
rounded corners
waterproof wrinkle texture

I'll be using one amp per sub @ 1 ohm. Powering each with a run of 0/1 gauge to its own Xstatic Batcap 800 battery. There will also be another deep cycle battery under the hood.

Pics of the amps and sound deadener (lol.. ignore the cardboard and padding... it'll either be fiberglassed or carpetted):

Pics of the box...

Construction pics:

Test fit:

After Paint:

Close up of paint texture:

With subs installed (sorry they're a bit dusty):

Ok, so what do you think so far? I'm shooting for 150 dB.. looking for SQL.. sound quality and SPL. I realize that I may have some port noise cause I really need more ports.. but no more room to add them... I haven't got to listen to them yet, but I can't wait.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, Keith2172, Sep-18-06 05:16 AM, #1
RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, Sorry_i_Win, Sep-18-06 11:26 AM, #2
      RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, VOTBLINDUB, Sep-24-06 08:34 AM, #3
           RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, Sorry_i_Win, Sep-26-06 02:11 AM, #4
                RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, Talow79, Nov-07-06 12:44 PM, #5
                     RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms, ColtsNumba1Fan, Nov-07-06 01:06 PM, #6

Keith2172Sep-18-06 05:16 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12509, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks, ummm... big! Remember those stories you here about people being sucked out of airplane toilet seats because of the pressure? Just don't get too close to that port when they're running full tilt, alright Get some video of some hot chicks hair floating to the bass when it's done.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Sorry_i_WinSep-18-06 11:26 AM
1910 posts,
#12510, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Keith2172
Get some video of some hot chicks hair floating to the bass when it's done.

That's my goal exactly. Always wanted to do "hair tricks"

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

VOTBLINDUBSep-24-06 08:34 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#12526, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 2

if youre tryin to do what i think you want to do, youre not goin to use the box you have now. what you want is a box with two separate chambers, with each of the chambers having its own port. you'll need to get a massive alternator and about 3 more batteries. as far as moving air, they dont have to be 15's, what youre looking for is high excursion woofers. look at something like resonant engineering, thats a much better choice. if you want to do a hair trick, youre going to end up building wall with 4 12's in there, and buy stock in dynamat or something, cuz youll need a LOT of insulation. you'll need to push like 10,000watt per woofer cone to get to where you want to be. but it is doable, cept it wont come cheap

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Sorry_i_WinSep-26-06 02:11 AM
1910 posts,
#12530, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 3

I know I needed more port area.. two seperate chambers aren't nescessary tho. I really considered RE, but I got a killer price on these orions so I went with them for now. They are comparable to an RE MX series sub, but the orions actually have a little more excursion, a more powerful motor, are more efficient, and they're "rated" power handling is higher (i'm aware RE's are underrated tho). The only thing that RE has on it is a slight larger surface area 810 cm^2 vs 780 cm^2 and RE cones are easy to replace. Also, I'm not going for all out SPL.. SQ is equally important to me as well. I know a guy with two 12" orion H2's running off less power in a similar sized car and he car do hair tricks (metered at 148 dB legal) so I have do doubt I too should be able to ackomplish the same.

Talow79Nov-07-06 12:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
34 posts,
#12575, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 4

How much does that box weigh? You probaly could get by with the stock springs in the back; looks good though!

96 ESI, Eibach pro-kit, Iceman CAI, Greddy Cat-Back, MSD Ignition
Other rides:
92 Dodge Ram 4x4
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4
2004 Honda Civic EX
2002 BMW 325i
2008 Nissan Armada

ColtsNumba1FanNov-07-06 01:06 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2005
399 posts,
#12576, "RE: new setup in progress - 2 15" orions, flared 6in port, 4600W rms"
In response to Reply # 5

dear mother of god .. that thing is huge and SWEET! good job man, i bet your rear view mirror falls down very very soon, be on the lookout, them things hurt when they hit you while your driving LOL

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12508 Previous topic | Next topic