Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12341
View in linear mode

Subject: "Electrical problem I think" Previous topic | Next topic
je_superflyJun-21-06 01:58 PM
Member since May 07th 2006
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12341, "Electrical problem I think"

I hope somebody here will be able to shed some light on this for me. I've searched and found nothing unfortunately. I noticed about a week or two ago that sometimes when I'm driving my radio will cut off...it turns back on immediately afterwards though. It's done that a few times a day and now for the past two days my car won't even start without the help of a battery jumper. It's not just that it won't start...no lights come on, no noises...nothing. My alarm won't even engage. It's just dead. But it starts with a jump. I had the battery tested by two different places...it's a good battery. I replaced the alternator a few weeks ago when I first noticed the stereo problem. I basically am an electrical idiot and really need some help with this! Thanks for any info.

James

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Electrical problem I think, je_superfly, Jun-21-06 02:08 PM, #1
RE: Electrical problem I think, gc8dc95, Jun-21-06 02:42 PM, #2
      RE: Electrical problem I think, 1slow97, Jun-21-06 04:01 PM, #3
           RE: Electrical problem I think, je_superfly, Jun-21-06 05:43 PM, #4
                RE: Electrical problem I think, cc8balla, Jun-21-06 06:36 PM, #5
                     RE: Electrical problem I think, TeamDR1665, Jun-22-06 01:55 PM, #6
                          RE: Electrical problem I think, je_superfly, Jun-22-06 07:15 PM, #7
                               RE: Electrical problem I think, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-25-06 02:45 PM, #8

je_superflyJun-21-06 02:08 PM
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12342, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry, but I forgot to add a few things. After jumping the car to get it started the battery light will come on after a few minutes. Also, I hear this strange "whining" type noise which increases and decreases in pitch as the RPM's increase and decrease. Thanks again for any info.

James

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gc8dc95Jun-21-06 02:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
385 posts,
#12343, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 1

Whining noise = alternator or poor grounding

First things first...clean the battery leads and terminals
Secondly have the alternator and battery tested at an Autozone
Replace what is needed and make sure connections are tight.

It sounds as though you have a poor ground to me.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi
Powered by NX wet kit

1slow97Jun-21-06 04:01 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2005
54 posts,
#12344, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 2

sounds like poor grounding to me too. is it just the radio? if so change ground to a shifter bolt.

384hp and 344tq that is all....

je_superflyJun-21-06 05:43 PM
7 posts,
#12345, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I considered a weak ground somewhere, but two things still make me scratch my head. 1) This is a new problem...the car was running fine (electrically, that is) until just a few weeks ago. 2) The alternator is brand new and the battery has been checked twice and deemed good. At the risk of getting badly hazed, is it possible for a grounding problem in this particular area to just appear for no obvious reason? And to reply to 1slow97, yes the radio is having problems...but so is the car itself. When I get in and turn the key I get absolutely nothing. No lights, no noises...nothing. This is frustrating. And of course, to make it even more interesting, the car does start normally sometimes. Maybe once out of 10 times. But the radio/battery light/whining symptoms are still present. Please help!!!

cc8ballaJun-21-06 06:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#12346, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by je_superfly
Hey thanks for the quick replies. I considered a weak ground somewhere, but two things still make me scratch my head. 1) This is a new problem...the car was running fine (electrically, that is) until just a few weeks ago. 2) The alternator is brand new and the battery has been checked twice and deemed good. At the risk of getting badly hazed, is it possible for a grounding problem in this particular area to just appear for no obvious reason? And to reply to 1slow97, yes the radio is having problems...but so is the car itself. When I get in and turn the key I get absolutely nothing. No lights, no noises...nothing. This is frustrating. And of course, to make it even more interesting, the car does start normally sometimes. Maybe once out of 10 times. But the radio/battery light/whining symptoms are still present. Please help!!!

Have you looked for a bad ground, just to eliminate the obvious?

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

TeamDR1665Jun-22-06 01:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#12347, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 5

I would start by removing the radio and any other accessories you installed at that time - cap, amp, subs, tv, xBox, ps2, psp, quisinart.

It kind of goes without saying, if you changed something with the radio controls and now you have problems, you should undo what you did to see if the problems go away. If they do, you know the problem has something to do with this last installation.

My two cents.

je_superflyJun-22-06 07:15 PM
7 posts,
#12348, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for your two cents DR1665. You're absolutely right...that does go without saying. One thing though...the radio has been in the car for about a year and half now. I don't have a cap, amp, psp, ps2, or a tv. And I got rid of the quisinart a long time ago. The last thing to be installed into the car was a replacement motor in Feb. Ever since then I've had random problems arise at random times. I don't know why this post has been moved. My question is regarding why the car is dead...the radio problem is just one of many symptoms. Anyways, I've read alot of your posts on this site and it's very apparent that you know your stuff. If you could, please read my posts again and try giving my a few more cents.

Thanks.

James

TeamXtremeRSJun-25-06 02:45 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#12349, "RE: Electrical problem I think"
In response to Reply # 7

check the ground cable that goes from the neg battery terminal to the driver shock tower. Be sure its clean and tight, and also follow that wire to the engine block where it goes to the transmission to engine mount bolt. One more thing, at the underhood fuse box, check those 2 fusable links that bolt into the box. Maybe one came loose or something. One of them is for the alternator as well.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12341 Previous topic | Next topic