Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12301
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to get the best wire splicing hardware" Previous topic | Next topic
QC DSM ESiTJun-09-06 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12301, "Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"

Hey there guys, I am going to be splicing a lot of wires togeather and I wanted to make this very professional and well done. I was wondering what you guys use and where you get it from? I hate soldering but if I have to I can but I heard of some things that don't need solder but protect and are just as good as solding. I know there is srink wrap stuff you can put on around it too. Anyway I need your guys help in finding some really good connectors or something like that. Sorry but wiring was never my strong point. Thanks in advance guys.

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, eclipse_99rs, Jun-10-06 06:10 AM, #1
RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, hookduphatch, Jun-10-06 06:48 PM, #2
      RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, hookduphatch, Jun-10-06 07:06 PM, #3
           RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, QC DSM ESiT, Jun-11-06 08:07 AM, #4
                RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, hookduphatch, Jun-11-06 05:14 PM, #5
                     RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, hookduphatch, Jun-11-06 05:19 PM, #6
                          RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-11-06 05:45 PM, #7
                               RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, hookduphatch, Jun-11-06 06:04 PM, #8
                                    RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, QC DSM ESiT, Jun-11-06 09:04 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, Hult250R, Jun-12-06 11:32 AM, #10
                                              RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware, mcgyvr, Jun-13-06 06:23 AM, #11

eclipse_99rsJun-10-06 06:10 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12302, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 0

Radio shack usually carries tons of different connectors. I've also used connectors that are both a connector and heat shrink in one. You might also be able to find some nice crimp connectors at Home Depot.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hookduphatchJun-10-06 06:48 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2004
552 posts,
#12303, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 1

personally, i think soldering is the only way to go. connection has almost zero resistance because it's a solid splice, so to speak. and really all you need to solder correctly is the iron, 60/40 tin/lead solder, and a can of good flux. any fool can do it, just make sure to heatshrink afterward.

95 Eclipse RS - Sold and In Montana Now
Project 95 GSX - In Full swing.

hookduphatchJun-10-06 07:06 PM
552 posts,
#12304, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 2

oh, and we use these things here on base, i do electronics in the air force, that we put on the wire. almost looks like a butt connector. but you put both the wires in at seperate ends, then heat them up with a heat gun. it's basically heat shrink and solder all in one step, without flux or the iron. so you heat it long enough so that the solder penetrates the joint fully, and you're good to go, as the heatshrink will seal both ends.

QC DSM ESiTJun-11-06 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#12305, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by hookduphatch
oh, and we use these things here on base, i do electronics in the air force, that we put on the wire. almost looks like a butt connector. but you put both the wires in at seperate ends, then heat them up with a heat gun. it's basically heat shrink and solder all in one step, without flux or the iron. so you heat it long enough so that the solder penetrates the joint fully, and you're good to go, as the heatshrink will seal both ends.

That connector sounds pretty sweet but it also sounds expensive. Do you know where I could get a hold of the connectors like that? I wouldn't mind using something like that if the price is right but the way it sounds, it sounds like I would have to buy a heat gun thingy. The most cost effective solution at this point seems like I should just solder them all and put some heat shrink around them.

Well thanks for the suggestions on where to get some of connectors. If you guys have some more ideas or suggestions just let me know.

98 Dodge Neon R/T

hookduphatchJun-11-06 05:14 PM
552 posts,
#12306, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by QC DSM ESiT
Originally posted by hookduphatch oh, and we use these things here on base, i do electronics in the air force, that we put on the wire. almost looks like a butt connector. but you put both the wires in at seperate ends, then heat them up with a heat gun. it's basically heat shrink and solder all in one step, without flux or the iron. so you heat it long enough so that the solder penetrates the joint fully, and you're good to go, as the heatshrink will seal both ends.
That connector sounds pretty sweet but it also sounds expensive. Do you know where I could get a hold of the connectors like that? I wouldn't mind using something like that if the price is right but the way it sounds, it sounds like I would have to buy a heat gun thingy. The most cost effective solution at this point seems like I should just solder them all and put some heat shrink around them. Well thanks for the suggestions on where to get some of connectors. If you guys have some more ideas or suggestions just let me know.

i don't know why you wouldn't be able to get that kind at radioshack. but i'll see what i can't dig up real quick.

hookduphatchJun-11-06 05:19 PM
552 posts,
#12307, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 5

well i can't really find them anywhere on the net. but if you tell me how many you need, and the number isn't TOO great, i might be able to grab some at my shop and send them to you for a small price. other than that, just solder.

EclipseTenzoRJun-11-06 05:45 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#12308, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by hookduphatch
well i can't really find them anywhere on the net. but if you tell me how many you need, and the number isn't TOO great, i might be able to grab some at my shop and send them to you for a small price. other than that, just solder.

The military has all the cool shit ...

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

hookduphatchJun-11-06 06:04 PM
552 posts,
#12309, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Originally posted by hookduphatch well i can't really find them anywhere on the net. but if you tell me how many you need, and the number isn't TOO great, i might be able to grab some at my shop and send them to you for a small price. other than that, just solder.
The military has all the cool shit ...

true

QC DSM ESiTJun-11-06 09:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#12310, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 8

never mind about grabbing some. Believe me it's too many, I will just stick to soldering the wires and heat shrinking around them. Thanks anyway.

98 Dodge Neon R/T

Hult250RJun-12-06 11:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12311, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by QC DSM ESiT
never mind about grabbing some. Believe me it's too many, I will just stick to soldering the wires and heat shrinking around them. Thanks anyway.

thats definetly gonna be your best bet Jordan, If you want I can give you a hand. Ive done tons of it.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

mcgyvrJun-13-06 06:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#12313, "RE: Where to get the best wire splicing hardware"
In response to Reply # 10

You can just get regular male/female bullet terminals or quick connect terminals (.250 tab) and a decent crimping tool. And they do sell ones with the shrink tube already in place. Any hardware store carries them.

But of course soldering is the best...

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12301 Previous topic | Next topic