Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12246
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to hardwire a power inverter?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThePerfectShiftMay-23-06 08:14 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12246, "How to hardwire a power inverter?"

Okay well i just picked up a ps2 and I am looking at some visor screens (waiting for payday) I need to know something about power inverters. Most of them you can plug into the cigarette lighter. This is unacceptable in my setup. Can i just splice the wires from the plug on the inverter into the wires for the cigarette lighter? That way the inverter will only be on when i turn the key. Or is it going to be more complex?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, Malenko, May-23-06 06:03 PM, #1
RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, clipse_2005, May-25-06 01:15 PM, #2
      RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, joeck76, May-25-06 05:25 PM, #3
           RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, Malenko, May-30-06 05:32 AM, #4
                RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, clipse_2005, May-30-06 12:29 PM, #5
                     RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?, reddrifteclipse, May-30-06 07:34 PM, #6

MalenkoMay-23-06 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12251, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 0

cut the cig plug for the power inverter, run the power wire of the inverter to the blue or green wire (I cant recall which but one powers the light ring the other the cig lighter itself, when you open your center console up you'll know which is which) then run the other wire to the ground.

Then its pretty much a done deal. The inverter wont survive crank, so if you're playing your game then start the car, youre gonna hafta reset the PS2.

PS Get an XBOX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

clipse_2005May-25-06 01:15 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
269 posts,
#12255, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 1

A power inverter just converts the power from your 12V source in your car to power able to be be used by home appliances such as a PS2. I haven't hardwired mine YET but all you would have to do is to cut off the cigarette plug and wire the power wire from the inverter to ANY 12V source (doesnt have to be the cigarette outlet wire), then ground the other wire securely to a metal contact on the body of the car.

joeck76May-25-06 05:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#12258, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 2

always a good idea to throw a fuse in there too.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

MalenkoMay-30-06 05:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#12274, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 3
May-30-06 05:32 AM by Malenko

you run it to the cig power wire because youre assured that power will be cut when the ignition is off.

a fuse on the wire is optional (cant hurt, prolly wont help) in this case because Ive yet to see a power inverter that isnt fused to begin with.

clipse_2005May-30-06 12:29 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
269 posts,
#12275, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well depending on the size of the power inverter, it might not be a good idea to hardwire it to the cigarette lighter because the cig lighter wire is extremely thin. If you can, find a thicker gauge wire to hardwire the power inverter to, and install a switch somewhere, and yes it would be a good idea to wire an in-line fuse with the power wire as well...

There are many different sources that you can wire the inverter to that would turn off when the car is off, it doesn't necessarily have to go to the cigarette lighter.

reddrifteclipseMay-30-06 07:34 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2006
47 posts,
#12279, "RE: How to hardwire a power inverter?"
In response to Reply # 5

if you want you could copy me. i put a splitter at the end of my 4 gauge power wire for my amp then run a power to my amp and one to my inverter with in-line fuse. after that a good ground and your on your way.

1996 Eclipse RS - sold, you will be missed
1996 Ram 1500 - Dixie Customs Edition
2001 Durango R/T - the daddy van
2006 Eclipse GS - the new toy

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12246 Previous topic | Next topic