Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12108
View in linear mode

Subject: "new radio draining battery????" Previous topic | Next topic
ggaarryyMar-30-06 02:49 PM
Member since Sep 21st 2004
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12108, "new radio draining battery????"

I have a 97 eclipse spyder and just replaced the infinity headunit with a basic panasonic radio/cd. Radio works perfectly but now I need to keep jumping my car to start it!!!

Basically, I followed the wiring harness diagram I found elsewhere on a board in connecting the radio to the car...the only wires I left in the old harness were the two that were related to illumination/dimmer and variable illumination/dimmer. For the amp under the seat, basically I just unhooked it and removed it and -- much to my surprise the radio worked great without the need to splice the speaker wires there.

Any thoughts on what could be making my battery drain? Even driving it for an hour, I am unable to get enough juice to start the car.

thanks in advance

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

VOTBLINDUBApr-02-06 07:51 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12119, "RE: new radio draining battery????"
In response to Reply # 0

well, theres always the bad battery factor but its prolly the wiring, something is connected wrong and it stays on and keeps leeching power off the battery

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseTenzoRApr-11-06 07:03 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#12146, "RE: new radio draining battery????"
In response to Reply # 1

You didnt tap the headunit to the constant line did you. Maybe it is remaining on all the time.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

destruckeclipseApr-12-06 07:54 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#12147, "RE: new radio draining battery????"
In response to Reply # 2

Make sure it's not on a consistant power line like mentioned above. If that doesn't solve it, try a new / used but you know it works battery and see if that helps. I had the dealer do some work on my alarm and some how they killed the battery to the point it couldn't hold a charge anymore, thus having to jump start or charge the battery every time.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

EclipseTenzoRApr-12-06 05:48 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#12148, "RE: new radio draining battery????"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by destruckeclipse
Make sure it's not on a consistant power line like mentioned above. If that doesn't solve it, try a new / used but you know it works battery and see if that helps. I had the dealer do some work on my alarm and some how they killed the battery to the point it couldn't hold a charge anymore, thus having to jump start or charge the battery every time.

This also happened to me before, it could just be the batterys time. And coincidently this is when you put the headunit in. I had the same problem also, new headunit new alarm. And didnt know why the car was having trouble starting. Turned out the battery was bad even though it was brand new. So I would get it tested and see if it can hold a charge.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12108 Previous topic | Next topic