Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11959
View in linear mode

Subject: "stereo wiring" Previous topic | Next topic
Dead ManFeb-11-06 03:29 PM
Member since Oct 04th 2004
26 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11959, "stereo wiring"

Ok I have been having some head unit problems so I decidedto use the stereo out of my wife's old neon because we had just bought it before the car was totaled. its a pioneer primire model 240f and when I took it out of the car I left the harness in the car so I just ordered a new one . so i go to wire it tonight and I cross checked it with the old harness I was taking out and every thing matched for the most part this where I'm having trouble. There were three wires caped off on the harness that fits the factory harness a blue, orange and orange/black. Now on the pioneer harness, I have three wires not spliced to the factory harness a orange/white,blue/white and black . On the old harness the blue white was connected to the blue signal wire that runs to my amp and the black was ground and it didn't have an orange/white wire. So I hooked it up the same way and now it keeps popping the fuse anyone know why. On the package the new harness came in it dosent say orange/white it just says orange for illumination and it dosent say blue/white is says blue forpower antenna. Thanks in advance

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: stereo wiring, joeck76, Feb-11-06 04:40 PM, #1
RE: stereo wiring, swedish1, Feb-14-06 08:24 AM, #2
      RE: stereo wiring, joeck76, Feb-14-06 08:59 AM, #3
           RE: stereo wiring, swedish1, Feb-14-06 09:07 AM, #4
                RE: stereo wiring, joeck76, Feb-14-06 12:51 PM, #5
                     RE: stereo wiring, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-14-06 01:22 PM, #6
                          RE: stereo wiring, swedish1, Feb-14-06 03:27 PM, #7
                               RE: stereo wiring, joeck76, Feb-15-06 12:19 AM, #8
                                    RE: stereo wiring, swedish1, Feb-15-06 04:14 PM, #9

joeck76Feb-11-06 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11960, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 0

when you hook the stereo up there should be the 8 speaker wires, a red power wire a yellow power wire and a black ground, these are all you need to worry about unless your dealing with an amp than you need to run the blue wire to the amp or power antenna. any other wire should be taped off and not used unless you know what its for, on my clarion i have a solid orange which is for illumination, i dont use it and an orange with white stripe, this wire actually goes to the ebrake and enables my dvd to play but only while the ebrake is enguaged. to bypass that safty i ground out the orange /white stripe, but i dont know much about your set up, id say hook up what i mentioned and cap off the spare and see where it gets you.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

swedish1Feb-14-06 08:24 AM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
48 posts,
#11972, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 1

Sorry, I really dont mean to Hijack your thread, but I have som questions bout this also.

You say the power wires are the Yellow and red? I hooked up my JVC yesterday, and it playes fine until I put loud on, and crank it up alittle. What happenes is that when the base will hit, the H.U will shut off and turn back on, as if its lacking power?? As of right now I am just running the stock speakers in an RS, and I have a 4x50w maximum on the head unit.

Thank you if you can help alittle?

//Swedish

VROOM VROOM VROOOM!"'

1995 RS, with Pacesetter header, Custom made 2.5inch exhaust with K&N Tip and a Ebay Intake with a K&N Filter.

joeck76Feb-14-06 08:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11973, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 2

sounds to me like something isnt grounded out correctly.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

swedish1Feb-14-06 09:07 AM
48 posts,
#11974, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 3

You think its all bout the ground? I cant figure out ANYTHING else to do... Check all the different wires n shit. I was even starting to think that the H.U is bad or something?

VROOM VROOM VROOOM!"'

1995 RS, with Pacesetter header, Custom made 2.5inch exhaust with K&N Tip and a Ebay Intake with a K&N Filter.

joeck76Feb-14-06 12:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11977, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 4

well if your radio is turning on and off than it indicates a short of sort. its been my experiance that a bad ground is usually the case but not 100% of the time, you might be right you might have a bad hu.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

TeamXtremeRSFeb-14-06 01:22 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#11978, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-14-06 01:24 PM by XtremeRS

You have the black ground wire of the new head unit grounded to the leftmost metal radio bracket on the car right? The factory radio harness does not have a ground wire in it, it gets ground through the metal radio bracket to the chassis of the stock radio. The orange stripe wires are illumination and dimmer wires, most lower cost radios wont have these wires to connect though. Some aftermarket radios will have both a blue and blue/white wire, normally the blue is the power ant wire, and the blue/white is an amp turn on wire. If this is the case, be sure to use the blue/white for the amp, or the amp will turn off when you play a cd. If you only have a blue wire on the radio harness, then just use that for the amp. Dont connect the blue wire of the radio to the car's harness, UNLESS you have a power antenna. Orange/white is normally used for illumination. Leave the orange disconected and capped off.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

swedish1Feb-14-06 03:27 PM
48 posts,
#11981, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 6

Well, I have re-checked the symptoms of my radio, and can add to all of the above that when I turn the car off, The radio will Reset ALL the settings(!) Memory of channels, audio settings etc etc.
Also, I have no memory of what I did for ground come to think of it. I thought that the stock wireing harness had a ground wire in it. But i mounted the new radio in the same metal bracket, so shouldnt that be o.k in that case???
Lets see, for the blue wire(wich is the one I have) I will be connecting that to the amp later, but I have still to hook that in, I also have a Capacitor that I dont know how to fire up, but none of this is yet installed, Right now I ONLY HAVE THE STOCK SETUP WITH A NEW RADIO (sorry for capsing, but I dont want any misunderstanding )

When it comes to power wires, Wich color wire is the one that has a constant current, and wich color is the one that shuts off when the ignition shuts off, maybe I have connected these wrong aswell, and thats why it resets??

Thank you very much, and im really sorry bout the LOOONG post!

//Swedish

VROOM VROOM VROOOM!"'

joeck76Feb-15-06 12:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11982, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 7

there should be one that is fused, this is your constant 12v source the other goes to the ignition source, off the top of my head i believe the yellow to be the constant and red to be the 12v switched power. if your loosing memory when you shut the car off than switch the two power wires you currently have hooked up and you should be good

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

swedish1Feb-15-06 04:14 PM
48 posts,
#11989, "RE: stereo wiring"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-15-06 04:27 PM by swedish1

O.K, Thanks alot for the help man, Ill try it tomorrow! Do you think the H.U will stop shutting off when I switch those wires too? (Hoping)
PeaCe!

VROOM VROOM VROOOM!"'

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11959 Previous topic | Next topic