Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11801
View in linear mode

Subject: "45 mil fatmat?" Previous topic | Next topic
LeakyMitsuJan-03-06 12:19 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11801, "45 mil fatmat?"

ive read some reviews about "fatmat" on here, seems like most have positive things to say. i found 100sq ft. on ebay for 100 bucks shipped. i emailed the guy because it didnt say how thick it is, he said its 45 mil. is that thick enough to where it would help at all? do you guys think i should buy it or not? TIA

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 45 mil fatmat?, MCubed45, Jan-04-06 08:28 AM, #1
RE: 45 mil fatmat?, freelancefool, Jan-04-06 09:45 AM, #2
      RE: 45 mil fatmat?, Blizare, Jan-04-06 12:07 PM, #3
           RE: 45 mil fatmat?, LeakyMitsu, Jan-04-06 03:19 PM, #4
                RE: 45 mil fatmat?, MCubed45, Jan-05-06 02:38 PM, #5
                     RE: 45 mil fatmat?, VOTBLINDUB, Jan-06-06 10:24 AM, #6
                          RE: 45 mil fatmat?, LeakyMitsu, Jan-06-06 10:58 AM, #7
                          RE: 45 mil fatmat?, VOTBLINDUB, Jan-06-06 11:29 AM, #8
                          RE: 45 mil fatmat?, MCubed45, Jan-06-06 06:43 PM, #9
                               RE: 45 mil fatmat?, EclipseSix, Jan-06-06 07:25 PM, #10
                                    RE: 45 mil fatmat?, freelancefool, Jan-07-06 02:42 AM, #11
                                    RE: 45 mil fatmat?, MCubed45, Jan-07-06 09:56 AM, #12
                                    RE: 45 mil fatmat?, freelancefool, Jan-10-06 06:15 PM, #14
                                         RE: 45 mil fatmat?, VOTBLINDUB, Jan-11-06 03:46 PM, #15
                                         RE: 45 mil fatmat?, djtrickee, Jan-11-06 04:16 PM, #16
                                         RE: 45 mil fatmat?, freelancefool, Jan-12-06 05:01 AM, #18
                                         RE: 45 mil fatmat?, MCubed45, Jan-11-06 07:29 PM, #17
                                    RE: 45 mil fatmat?, VOTBLINDUB, Jan-10-06 08:49 AM, #13
                                         LOL, ez, Feb-22-06 01:44 PM, #19
                                              RE: LOL, mike_d, Feb-22-06 04:30 PM, #20

MCubed45Jan-04-06 08:28 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11806, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by LeakyMitsu
ive read some reviews about "fatmat" on here, seems like most have positive things to say. i found 100sq ft. on ebay for 100 bucks shipped. i emailed the guy because it didnt say how thick it is, he said its 45 mil. is that thick enough to where it would help at all? do you guys think i should buy it or not? TIA

umm do you know how thick 45mm is? it's the small lines on your ruler.

45mm = 4.5 cm. good luck fitting that anywhere

my guess is the seller doesn't know shit.

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolJan-04-06 09:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#11807, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 1

I believe that 45 mil when talking about plastic is .45 mm. When I was doing FEMA roofs in Florida, that's how it was rated.

My Blog

BlizareJan-04-06 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#11808, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-04-06 12:08 PM by Blizare

Originally posted by freelancefool
I believe that 45 mil when talking about plastic is .45 mm. When I was doing FEMA roofs in Florida, that's how it was rated.

that is not correct. I believe it is 4.5 mm thick.

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

LeakyMitsuJan-04-06 03:19 PM
311 posts,
#11810, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 3

actually all of you are wrong. 1 mil is equal to .001 inch. 45 mil is equal to .045 inch. what im asking is is this thick enough to make any sort of difference. i dont know how this compares to like dynamat extreme, or even how thick this stuff needs to be to be effective.

MCubed45Jan-05-06 02:38 PM
2706 posts,
#11812, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jan-05-06 02:39 PM by MCubed45

Originally posted by LeakyMitsu
actually all of you are wrong. 1 mil is equal to .001 inch. 45 mil is equal to .045 inch. what im asking is is this thick enough to make any sort of difference. i dont know how this compares to like dynamat extreme, or even how thick this stuff needs to be to be effective.

umm no.

1 milimeter = 1/1000 meter (1 meter is slightly longer than a yard stick)

the abbreviation for milimter is "mm" not "mil". so unless this is some made up US unit i've never seen i think you're a little confused. the smallest unit of measure in the US system is the inch. there is no 1/1000 inch. i suppose you could call 1/1000 inch a mili-inch but mixing metric and US is just dumb.

even based on your flawed system of measurment .045 inches is ridiculously thin. look at your ruler. look how long an inch is. divide that in half. half an inch is .50 inches. now divide that measurement by ten. that tiny sliver is .050 inches. thinner than 1 milimeter.

learning basic units of measure is important for a lot of things...

on second thought 45mm might not be ridiculously thick for insulation purposes. 45mm is about 1.75 inches. kind've on the thick side but depending where you're planning on putting it, it might work alright.

here i found you a length conversion calculator for you to play with:

http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/ccleng.htm

-marc

VOTBLINDUBJan-06-06 10:24 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11820, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 5

oh god! this is what i hate about this country, when will you people move to the normal system, the metric system. its like this. there are 10mm in a centimeter. hence the "milli" prefix, DUH! so 45 mm is 4.5 cm. ~2.5cm is an inch. so that makes 45mm to be close to like 2 and 3/4 inch thick or in NORMAL numbers 1.8 inch thick. also, how hard is it to go here http://www.fatmat.com/fatmat/bulk/100ft.htm and see for yourself that it says that its 45mm on the manufacturer site. damnit, what do you people do in school, eat paintchips? i need to move to japan

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

LeakyMitsuJan-06-06 10:58 AM
311 posts,
#11821, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 6

i was asking what a particular item thickness was on ebay. the guy told me 45 mil. i didnt know what the fuck mil was (i assumed it wasnt the same as mm)so i looked it up...the link at the bottom is what i found. Since mil is what the guy told me, and all of these conversions are for mil i assumed this was correct. i highly doubt its 2 1/4" thick or whatever you said because they sold 45mil, 60 mil and 90 mil. Where in the hell would you fit 5 inches of material, or even 3 inches.since youre so eager to tell me to look at the fatmat website, why dont you try looking at some of the pictures. does that look like more than 2 inches thick of material on all of the photo cars door panels? i think not...i appreciate the help, just try not to be such a douchebag about it next time.

http://www.smtnet.com/Forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/view_thread/CFApp/1/Thread_ID/2347

VOTBLINDUBJan-06-06 11:29 AM
403 posts,
#11822, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 7

i was talkin to them above me and below you. hell knows what "mil" is. this kinda brings it back to my point of just using centimeters and such, make it all consistent, dont make up your own measurements. its silly. its hard to hell how thick it is, but it looks 90% the same as dynamat, it just doesnt have the lettering printed on the foil. its like brand name versus generic products. overall theyre both roofing tar with foil on one side and paper on the other. that foil costs more than anything anyways. how can so many people be on the automotive forums, being into cars this much and not knowing simple things like millimeters and inches and conversions between the two? its just sad. im not saying i know everything about everything, but at least i can tell a 25mm wrench from a 55mm, you know what i mean?

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

MCubed45Jan-06-06 06:43 PM
2706 posts,
#11823, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by VOTBLINDUB
oh god! this is what i hate about this country, when will you people move to the normal system, the metric system. its like this. there are 10mm in a centimeter. hence the "milli" prefix, DUH! so 45 mm is 4.5 cm. ~2.5cm is an inch. so that makes 45mm to be close to like 2 and 3/4 inch thick or in NORMAL numbers 1.8 inch thick. also, how hard is it to go here http://www.fatmat.com/fatmat/bulk/100ft.htm and see for yourself that it says that its 45mm on the manufacturer site. damnit, what do you people do in school, eat paintchips? i need to move to japan

dude i'm with you. fuck this US system bullshit. the metric system is so much easier to use and just makes fucking sense. the only reason the US system is still around is because americans are too fucking stupid to learn anything else. the majority of educated people in other countries speak at least 2 languages. one of which is english. why? because americans are too fucking stupid to learn another language and insist that everyone else learn their ass-backwards language and ass-backwards measuring system.

/end rant

to the OP please please PLEASE get a ruler and learn the basic units of measurement. these are fundamentals necessary for communicating ideas and measurments with other people and ARE important for everyday life.

-marc

EclipseSixJan-06-06 07:25 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#11824, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by VOTBLINDUB oh god! this is what i hate about this country, when will you people move to the normal system, the metric system. its like this. there are 10mm in a centimeter. hence the "milli" prefix, DUH! so 45 mm is 4.5 cm. ~2.5cm is an inch. so that makes 45mm to be close to like 2 and 3/4 inch thick or in NORMAL numbers 1.8 inch thick. also, how hard is it to go here http://www.fatmat.com/fatmat/bulk/100ft.htm and see for yourself that it says that its 45mm on the manufacturer site. damnit, what do you people do in school, eat paintchips? i need to move to japan
dude i'm with you. fuck this US system bullshit. the metric system is so much easier to use and just makes fucking sense. the only reason the US system is still around is because americans are too fucking stupid to learn anything else. the majority of educated people in other countries speak at least 2 languages. one of which is english. why? because americans are too fucking stupid to learn another language and insist that everyone else learn their ass-backwards language and ass-backwards measuring system. /end rant to the OP please please PLEASE get a ruler and learn the basic units of measurement. these are fundamentals necessary for communicating ideas and measurments with other people and ARE important for everyday life.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is called Ethnocentrism.

freelancefoolJan-07-06 02:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#11825, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 10

From google:

view. ** Accepted material thickness upto1/8"(125mil), easy handle any kinds of vinyl material, including sandblast rubbers (45mil in thickness)

So let's take this excerpt and examine it. If 1/8" = .125" and 1/8" vinyl is 125 mil, we can then conclude that 45 mil vinyl is .045" in thickness.

rant

Contrary to what they teach in school, the metric system is not easier to use. Granted, it runs on a base 10 calculation where the Imperial standard runs on a base 2 calculation. The Imperial Standard allows for more easily divisible segments in measurements. When is the last time that you heard someone ask for a 1.25cm wrench or a 6.4mm wrench that is 1/2" and 1/4" respectively. Either system has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

/rant

Whether the fatmat would be any better than dynamat I couldn't tell you. I haven't been in a vehicle that has ever had enough sound deadening material to make a difference in the quality of sound/ride.

My Blog

MCubed45Jan-07-06 09:56 AM
2706 posts,
#11826, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
Jan-07-06 10:19 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by EclipseSix

no actually ethnocentrism is believing one's own ETHNICITY is superior. this is more of a cultural thing. besides that i didn't say anything about my own ethnicity being superior i just said america's dependancy on their own "US standard" system and lack of linguistic diversity is well... stupid.

From google: view. ** Accepted material thickness upto1/8"(125mil), easy handle any kinds of vinyl material, including sandblast rubbers (45mil in thickness) So let's take this excerpt and examine it. If 1/8" = .125" and 1/8" vinyl is 125 mil, we can then conclude that 45 mil vinyl is .045" in thickness.

interesting... thanks for sheddding some light on this whole "mil" unit. i guess there really is such a thing as mili-inches...

Contrary to what they teach in school, the metric system is not easier to use. Granted, it runs on a base 10 calculation where the Imperial standard runs on a base 2 calculation. The Imperial Standard allows for more easily divisible segments in measurements. When is the last time that you heard someone ask for a 1.25cm wrench or a 6.4mm wrench that is 1/2" and 1/4" respectively. Either system has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

well obviously you're not gonna have people asking for 1.2 cm or 6.4mm wrenchs. but the only reason we need those is if you're working on something with standard bolts. btw you won't find many standard bolts on our cars...

and actually the metric system is MUCH easier to use when it comes to calculations, as anyone working in a scientific field will tell you. it's not just the base 10 that simplifies things - it's the way a lot of the other units are inter-related. working with stupid units like Slugs (weight/acceleration) instead of Newtons is just one example. weight (pounds) and mass (kilograms) are not equivalent units. weight is actually a measurment of force not mass. then you've got arbitrary units like miles.. anyone know off hand how many feet in a mile? exactly. how many meters in a kilometer? simple.

-marc

freelancefoolJan-10-06 06:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#11843, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 12

As soon as you asked that the answer 5280' popped into my head. Somethings may benefit using the metric system, but I have no use for it in my life right now. Aside from using metric wrenches on my car.

My Blog

VOTBLINDUBJan-11-06 03:46 PM
403 posts,
#11848, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 14

dude, its awesome, its even. if somebody gives you a number you can invision it in your head. its way more exact. its just overall better, why do you think jap and german cars work so much better than say chevy's?

djtrickeeJan-11-06 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11850, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 15

why do you think jap and german cars work so much better than say chevy's?

LMAO. Are you saying that you believe that Japanese and European cars perform/work better because they use the Metric system over Standard for their measurements, bolts, etc?

Thats gotta be one of the most stupid asinine things I have ever heard on this board... well almost.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

freelancefoolJan-12-06 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#11853, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 15

dude, its awesome, its even. if somebody gives you a number you can invision it in your head. its way more exact. its just overall better, why do you think jap and german cars work so much better than say chevy's?

Maybe because Chevy is floundering right now due to high wages they pay the workers, low profit on sales, misguided marketing and a push to make large vehicles that they can make a profit on while losing money on smaller more economical cars? Don't get me wrong, paying your workers well isn't the problem. There are other areas that GM could improve to create a more efficient factory floor.

Ohh, if 'jap' cars are so much better work so much better, why is GM around after all these years?

My Blog

MCubed45Jan-11-06 07:29 PM
2706 posts,
#11852, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"
In response to Reply # 14
Jan-11-06 07:30 PM by MCubed45

As soon as you asked that the answer 5280' popped into my head. Somethings may benefit using the metric system, but I have no use for it in my life right now. Aside from using metric wrenches on my car.

hehe cool

most people don't know that one off hand...

but yea for the average person it probably makes no difference but from a technological standpoint it poses a lot of problems. you'd be surprised how many engineering failures were due to improper units being used/assumed. it makes quite a difference when one person is thinking in lbs and the other in newtons... simple mistake on paper but massive structural failure and fatalities in the real world.

sadly the US is very unlikely to ever adopt the metric system like the rest of the world. you'd think americans would like hearing their weight in kilograms instead.. it's such a smaller number!

-marc

VOTBLINDUBJan-10-06 08:49 AM
403 posts,
#11841, "RE: 45 mil fatmat?"

Originally posted by EclipseSix
Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by VOTBLINDUB oh god! this is what i hate about this country, when will you people move to the normal system, the metric system. its like this. there are 10mm in a centimeter. hence the "milli" prefix, DUH! so 45 mm is 4.5 cm. ~2.5cm is an inch. so that makes 45mm to be close to like 2 and 3/4 inch thick or in NORMAL numbers 1.8 inch thick. also, how hard is it to go here http://www.fatmat.com/fatmat/bulk/100ft.htm and see for yourself that it says that its 45mm on the manufacturer site. damnit, what do you people do in school, eat paintchips? i need to move to japan
dude i'm with you. fuck this US system bullshit. the metric system is so much easier to use and just makes fucking sense. the only reason the US system is still around is because americans are too fucking stupid to learn anything else. the majority of educated people in other countries speak at least 2 languages. one of which is english. why? because americans are too fucking stupid to learn another language and insist that everyone else learn their ass-backwards language and ass-backwards measuring system. /end rant to the OP please please PLEASE get a ruler and learn the basic units of measurement. these are fundamentals necessary for communicating ideas and measurments with other people and ARE important for everyday life.

yes it is called that. the japanese decided to try that at one time and it almost killed them, maybe a pattern, no?

ezFeb-22-06 01:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#12018, "LOL"
In response to Reply # 13

ha ha this is the best post EVER in the audio forum. I can't stop laughing. metric system, ethnocentrism, and the reason why german cars are better than american cars. you guys rock ROFLMAO

but at least I found out what a mil was. I was wondering why all these fiberglass sites kept saying you needed 45mil of coating on fiberglass. I'm like WTF are they saying 45mm that's crazy. dood I'm a science major, it's all metric system where I live

mike_dFeb-22-06 04:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#12019, "RE: LOL"
In response to Reply # 19
Feb-22-06 04:31 PM by mike_d

Mil and MM is NOT the same mesurement, 1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch. If you need a visual go to Home Depot and look in the building materials section for Vapor barrier.

95 Talon ESi-T

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11801 Previous topic | Next topic