Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11785
View in linear mode

Subject: "Finally... New amp!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonDec-27-05 10:08 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11785, "Finally... New amp!!!"

Now I can run BOTH of my 10" subs.

Before I had (2) 10" MTX subwoofers hooked up to my first amp... a 200 Watt MTX (meaning around 30 watts/channel).

Realized my error and took one speaker out... bridged the remaining so.. 130 watts to the sub.

Now for the new toy of mine.... The Kenwood KAC-7202. A 920 Watt masterpiece!

This thing is awesome... runs for around $200 (less if you go shopzilla) and puts out 150W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms!

More than double the power I had before! This thing is awesome! I've read the reviews on it, made my decision, and decided that it is well worth the cash. Hell of a lot less money than a similar wattage Rockford Fosgate or MTX or (insert brand here).

I drove 6 hours back to my place from my parents with that thing cranked and I love it... no smoke, no problems.

The only thing I didn't like was that I needed to match the frequency range to my subs (good thing I did) and same with the input voltage to the head unit's (also done).

Now, if my car ran as good as the stereo sounds!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Finally... New amp!!!, VOTBLINDUB, Dec-28-05 03:24 PM, #1
RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-28-05 06:34 PM, #2
      RE: Finally... New amp!!!, EclipseSix, Dec-29-05 11:08 AM, #3
           RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-29-05 12:54 PM, #4
                RE: Finally... New amp!!!, EclipseSix, Dec-29-05 04:50 PM, #5
                     RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-29-05 06:08 PM, #6
                          RE: Finally... New amp!!!, SPL_Eclipse, Dec-29-05 09:01 PM, #7
                               RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-30-05 03:32 AM, #8
                                    RE: Finally... New amp!!!, VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-05 08:31 AM, #9
                                         RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-05 09:32 AM, #10
                                              RE: Finally... New amp!!!, Blizare, Jan-04-06 12:18 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Finally... New amp!!!, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-05-06 10:29 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Finally... New amp!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Jan-05-06 10:35 PM, #13

VOTBLINDUBDec-28-05 03:24 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11787, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

are you shittin me, man? youre stoked about that power? get the JBL BP1200.1 for that much and itll put out like 950 rms with proper power

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonDec-28-05 06:34 PM
3260 posts,
#11788, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

eh, going from a 200W to a 900W is a big jump...

it was a christmas present, but I like it.

EclipseSixDec-29-05 11:08 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#11790, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-29-05 11:09 AM by EclipseSix

Don't steal his fire, jeeze. Making a big jump in power like that probably feels amazing. I have a Kenwood 900 watt, and it drives the subs very nicely. However I just switched out the kenwood headunit for a JVC unit with pre-outs for the sub.... WOW, i had to turn the power down, thought my hatch window was gonna shatter. Now I have to buy dampening crap... oh well!

95_ESi_PersonDec-29-05 12:54 PM
3260 posts,
#11791, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-29-05 12:55 PM by 95_ESi_Person

Originally posted by EclipseSix

Don't steal his fire, jeeze.

Thanks... I know it's not big to some, but I'm happy.

Making a big jump in power like that probably feels amazing. I have a Kenwood 900 watt, and it drives the subs very nicely. However I just switched out the kenwood headunit for a JVC unit with pre-outs for the sub....

yeah, I also got a new head unit over the summer.. a new Alpine. the pre-outs were going out on my old Kenwood head unit (what else can your expect from a 4 year old cd player?)

I love it. I put my back seat in today (the back rest portion) and it seemed to have made it louder. I had to turn down the bass.

EclipseSixDec-29-05 04:50 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#11792, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

I gotta ask, noticed your sig.. hows the car holding up with all that mileage?? I'm coming up on 90k and I've had the HG and fuel pump and a rebuit tranny already, what about you? I'd love to keep this car until 200k, but I never thought I could afford the repairs that I'll inevitably have to do. Whats your experience been with it?

95_ESi_PersonDec-29-05 06:08 PM
3260 posts,
#11793, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Dec-29-05 06:11 PM by 95_ESi_Person

I gotta ask, noticed your sig.. hows the car holding up with all that mileage?? I'm coming up on 90k and I've had the HG and fuel pump and a rebuit tranny already, what about you? I'd love to keep this car until 200k, but I never thought I could afford the repairs that I'll inevitably have to do. Whats your experience been with it?

I'll be crossing into 200k this weekend!!!

Since my father who owned the car before I did never really did any maintenance it's kind of "iffy".

134k Whole timing assembly (belt/pulleys/tensioner, and even the water pump were replaced)

156k Trans rebuild (leaked fluid and I thought it was engine oil = my bad)

170k Replaced front left wheel bearing (trans shop fucked up and didn't torque the axle nut correctly)

196k Radiator hit something or something hit radiator = Replaced

Other than that stuff it's decent, sure I go through 3-5 quarts of oil between my 3000 mile oil changes and need to replace spark plugs every 3-6 months. But I finally got a new upstream O2 sensor which might have solved that problem.

Never had the HG replaced!!! Probably why I lose so much oil.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sometimes when I'm on the highway oil and stuff gets on my exhaust pipe and the catalytic converter starts smoking.

It still runs, needs to warm up for about 15-20 minutes before it's driveable. But it can still go to redline, which it does almost every day.

SPL_EclipseDec-29-05 09:01 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11794, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

nice purchase on the amp! to be honest...ive had several SPL systems in several cars and in my eclipse i only ran 600 watts to 2 crappy 15"s and hit over 150dBs. our cars are very condusive to great bass with only a little power.

as for the query on the longevity of the eclipse, i had mine for 4.5 years and went from 80k miles to 160k with only the following (excludes oil/plug/air filter/plug wire changes):

1) new tcu (fried mine on accident, it was my fault)
2) preventative timing belt change at 120k
3) p/s belt slipping problems. fixed by changing my harmonic damper bolt.
4) dead alternator (again, my fault due to my system). i got a new high-amp unit from www.4alterstart.com for $225 and replaced it myself in an afternoon.

if i wasnt t-boned, im confident that she would have made it over 200k miles with no other problems.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

95_ESi_PersonDec-30-05 03:32 AM
3260 posts,
#11795, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, if treated properly (maintenance wise) or left in near stock condition these cars will last quite a while.

The only things I have done are the GS-T Axle back, Short Ram intake, and the MP 60mm tb.

MSD coil and wires don't count as performance parts for me because they were OE replacements for a coil that had NEVER been changed (and shitty wires)

SPL... Will this amp kill my alternator?

VOTBLINDUBDec-31-05 08:31 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11796, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

i dont mean to steal his fire, sorry if it came out that way. what i meant was, wattage shouldnt be your primary concern. claryity should be. seeing as how its a gift, you dont really get to pick out, its good then. dont worry about your windows, they wont shatte youre feeling the difference now, but give it about 2 months or so and youll be itching for more power.

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

95_ESi_PersonDec-31-05 09:32 AM
3260 posts,
#11797, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

It's a nice and clear sound. This is more than enough power for me.

I chose it, and my parents got it for me for christmas.

BlizareJan-04-06 12:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#11809, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

I hit 144Db with a 12" phoenix gold xmax sub and a 400 Kenwood amp.

That day I beat my friend who just dropped 5K on his crazy ass expensive stereo in his showcar civic.

He was fucking pissed with 140Db.

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-05-06 10:29 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#11814, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

eh your 900 watt JL still cant complete with an Orion HCCA 2100 I have. and your has newer technology....

Congrats Ryan, nice to have a cleaner and higher quality amp running things isnt it?

Terry

95_ESi_PersonJan-05-06 10:35 PM
3260 posts,
#11816, "RE: Finally... New amp!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Congrats Ryan, nice to have a cleaner and higher quality amp running things isnt it? Terry

Thanks! Oh yes!!!

My fiance won't let me turn it up with her in the car even though she likes the bass. My roommate and one of my friends absolutely love it! They were in the car (seperate times of course, lack of back seat) and were trying to yell over the bass, I turned it down and they were still yelling "I LIKE IT!!!".

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11785 Previous topic | Next topic