Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11742
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...." Previous topic | Next topic
Jem09Dec-12-05 05:42 PM
Member since Jul 12th 2005
224 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11742, "Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."

Peace,
I would really appreciate any and all advise/knowledge regardin' this... I suppose it's best to start off with the specs. the box needs to have.

Ported Box:
Air Space (cu. ft.) - 3.2
Port Size (Inches) - (2) 4x12
Port Vel. (%) - 9.65
-3 dB (Hz) - 30
Tune Freq. (Hz) - 36
Sub. Disp. (cu. ft.) - 0.25
Port Disp. (cu. ft.) - 0.165
Total Vol. (cu. ft.) - 3.5

Surface area of a circle Port = (3.14) x (radius) (squared)

Now that I have the specs., I need to make the cuts from MDF (of course)....once I have the measurements of each piece brokin' down, I'll be good and ready for the build...

Subs. that will go into the boxes (I want to make two)...
(2) Audiobahn Flame Q's
Model - AW1206T

I got the specs. from the "Tech Help" section on the Official Audiobahn site...

As always, I appreciate your time and help...

Peace,
Jem

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., SPL_Eclipse, Dec-14-05 03:09 AM, #1
RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., VOTBLINDUB, Dec-14-05 08:34 AM, #2
RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-14-05 09:03 AM, #4
RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-14-05 08:58 AM, #3
      RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-14-05 09:18 AM, #5
           RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., VOTBLINDUB, Dec-14-05 04:53 PM, #6
                RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., InFiNiT3, Dec-14-05 07:36 PM, #7
                     RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., SPL_Eclipse, Dec-15-05 01:43 AM, #8
                     RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., VOTBLINDUB, Dec-16-05 07:45 AM, #13
                     RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-15-05 03:45 AM, #9
                          RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., InFiNiT3, Dec-15-05 09:01 AM, #10
                               RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., InFiNiT3, Dec-15-05 09:02 AM, #11
                               RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-15-05 12:27 PM, #12
                                    RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., InFiNiT3, Dec-16-05 09:07 AM, #14
                                         RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., Jem09, Dec-16-05 10:21 AM, #15
                                         RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., InFiNiT3, Dec-16-05 07:18 PM, #16
                                         RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...., VOTBLINDUB, Dec-18-05 08:59 AM, #17

SPL_EclipseDec-14-05 03:09 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11747, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 0

a few things:

1) you listed the port as being 4"x12", but made no qualification as pertains to a dimension. you later listed a round port diameter, but made no mention of depth. based on your box size and tuning, i imagine you'd want a 4" round port with a depth of around 12". that should give you about a 35hz tuning, like you are looking for.

2) you want to make two 3+cu. ft. boxes? thats a LOT of room to take up, and unless you are willing to 'glass, they both wont fit in the hatch of an eclipse. which brings me to...

3) is this for a 2GNT?

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VOTBLINDUBDec-14-05 08:34 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11749, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-14-05 08:34 AM by VOTBLINDUB

Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse
a few things: 1) you listed the port as being 4"x12", but made no qualification as pertains to a dimension. you later listed a round port diameter, but made no mention of depth. based on your box size and tuning, i imagine you'd want a 4" round port with a depth of around 12". that should give you about a 35hz tuning, like you are looking for. 2) you want to make two 3+cu. ft. boxes? thats a LOT of room to take up, and unless you are willing to 'glass, they both wont fit in the hatch of an eclipse. which brings me to... 3) is this for a 2GNT?

1) i think he is not sure what port to use round or square. it doesnt really matter as long as its calculated properly.
2) i wouldnt say its not possible to fit 2 boxes that big in the car. i do not think it will all fit into the trunk without some modification. hed have to take off the plastic panels and glass the sides to use all that space, then take out the spare and use that dip in the floor for more space. it would be a tough fit, but it is possible. another way to get around that is to take out the rear seat and make the boxes protrude forward and sit partially where the seat was.
3)as long as its not a festiva it sounds doabl

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Jem09Dec-14-05 09:03 AM
224 posts,
#11751, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by VOTBLINDUB
Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse a few things: 1) you listed the port as being 4"x12", but made no qualification as pertains to a dimension. you later listed a round port diameter, but made no mention of depth. based on your box size and tuning, i imagine you'd want a 4" round port with a depth of around 12". that should give you about a 35hz tuning, like you are looking for. 2) you want to make two 3+cu. ft. boxes? thats a LOT of room to take up, and unless you are willing to 'glass, they both wont fit in the hatch of an eclipse. which brings me to... 3) is this for a 2GNT?
1) i think he is not sure what port to use round or square. it doesnt really matter as long as its calculated properly. 2) i wouldnt say its not possible to fit 2 boxes that big in the car. i do not think it will all fit into the trunk without some modification. hed have to take off the plastic panels and glass the sides to use all that space, then take out the spare and use that dip in the floor for more space. it would be a tough fit, but it is possible. another way to get around that is to take out the rear seat and make the boxes protrude forward and sit partially where the seat was. 3)as long as its not a festiva it sounds doabl

When you mentioned the dip/spare tire space, I recalled wantin' to ask you about that. I wanted to ask if you knew how to remove that metal sh!t that holds the tire in place. The only way I could think of was to have it cut off, I didn't notice any type of bolts on the base....

Good lookin' out...

Peace,
Jem

Jem09Dec-14-05 08:58 AM
224 posts,
#11750, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 1

a few things: 1) you listed the port as being 4"x12", but made no qualification as pertains to a dimension. you later listed a round port diameter, but made no mention of depth. based on your box size and tuning, i imagine you'd want a 4" round port with a depth of around 12". that should give you about a 35hz tuning, like you are looking for. 2) you want to make two 3+cu. ft. boxes? thats a LOT of room to take up, and unless you are willing to 'glass, they both wont fit in the hatch of an eclipse. which brings me to... 3) is this for a 2GNT?

The port I assumed would be "square" 4" wide, 12" length/vertical... Yes, I want the boxes to fit into the hatch...I know it'll need fabrications done in order for it to properly, which I don't mind gettin' into...

I appreciate your help...

Peace,
Jem

Jem09Dec-14-05 09:18 AM
224 posts,
#11752, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-14-05 10:07 AM by Jem09

I also forgot to mention/ask, where would the ports (square) be placed (2 ports on each box)? One on each side of the longer portion of the box -> <_P___P_> (Box1)? Both side by side -> <__PP__> (Box2) in the center of the box? I think it'll best "one on each side/Box1"...

Peace,
Jem

VOTBLINDUBDec-14-05 04:53 PM
403 posts,
#11753, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 5
Dec-14-05 04:54 PM by VOTBLINDUB

to remove that metal piece you can get a cutoff wheel and cut it off, a torch or what most people do, get a big hammer and keep beating it on its side till it comes off. as far as ports go, it doesnt really matter where you put them. mine is one the side of my box. the best thing to do for our cars is to either point them up towards the window so the sound reflects forward, or build them on the front wall so the sound goes directly forward. if you have AIM, let me know, IM me, im on a lot and i can help you out and get you some pics. ive got photos of my system or i can make you a diagram.

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

InFiNiT3Dec-14-05 07:36 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#11755, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 6

question:

why would u run the flame Q's in a ported encloser?
Im sorry dude... just with my 7 yrs with audiobahn (sponcership) Ive never had a sucess with a ported encluser... no where near what i get with a sealed..... as for the room.... oh ya bud there is plenty..... i run 3 12" HC's 1.3 cf sealed per sub in a faulse floor where the spare used to go..... trust me go sealed youll be much happier..... and there will be much much less distortion.. (with that perticular sub anyway)

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

SPL_EclipseDec-15-05 01:43 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11756, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 7

"The port I assumed would be "square" 4" wide, 12" length/vertical..."

so... 4" wide, 12" tall, and 12" deep? thats .33 cu. ft. of space. in a 3.2 cu. ft. (net) box, your tuning is going to be around 45-50hz. thats getting a bit high. use a round port (aeroports are great) that is 4" in diameter and around 12" long. it reduces your port crossection by 75%, but its still plenty of area to eleminate any port noise, and will drop your tuning into the low 30hz range.

to contridict the above statement, the best box i could possibly build for my AW1500s was 4 cu. ft. per sub ported and tuned to 35hz. of course, that was in a wall, lol. however...i still dont think you will make the space to fit both subs and the enclosure you desire. if you are new to box building i would recommend you go the sealed route first.

one more thing: it DOES matter where your ports are. put them on the same plane as the subs and around 1/2 the diameter of the sub away (so for a 12" sub, you want them around 6" away, although anything close to that is fine. the phasic interaction will be nearly identical as long as its on the same plane). also, never ever ever fire your subs forward (toward the engine side, lol) in an eclipse unless you have a static barier to eliminate cancellation due to wave reflection/interaction (i.e. a wall). ive found that rear firing or up firing are the best ways to go.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

VOTBLINDUBDec-16-05 07:45 AM
403 posts,
#11763, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 8
Dec-16-05 07:50 AM by VOTBLINDUB

"The port I assumed would be "square" 4" wide, 12" length/vertical..." so... 4" wide, 12" tall, and 12" deep? thats .33 cu. ft. of space. in a 3.2 cu. ft. (net) box, your tuning is going to be around 45-50hz. thats getting a bit high. use a round port (aeroports are great) that is 4" in diameter and around 12" long. it reduces your port crossection by 75%, but its still plenty of area to eleminate any port noise, and will drop your tuning into the low 30hz range. to contridict the above statement, the best box i could possibly build for my AW1500s was 4 cu. ft. per sub ported and tuned to 35hz. of course, that was in a wall, lol. however...i still dont think you will make the space to fit both subs and the enclosure you desire. if you are new to box building i would recommend you go the sealed route first. one more thing: it DOES matter where your ports are. put them on the same plane as the subs and around 1/2 the diameter of the sub away (so for a 12" sub, you want them around 6" away, although anything close to that is fine. the phasic interaction will be nearly identical as long as its on the same plane). also, never ever ever fire your subs forward (toward the engine side, lol) in an eclipse unless you have a static barier to eliminate cancellation due to wave reflection/interaction (i.e. a wall). ive found that rear firing or up firing are the best ways to go.

for the best port volume you calculate how much air your cone will displace then you divide that by two and you get the port volume. also, its a big mistake to use audiobahn anything. ported is waaaaaaaay louder than sealed, thats why we use ported. the subs werent loud cuz youre using a tiny box. instead of running 3 in tiny boxes, get yourself 2 good 12's like RE or Treo and make nice boxes for em, around 3.5 cubic feet a piece. get some good clean power to em and ur good to go. ported might not be as good for SQ but its definitely the box type to have for SPL. also the the sub doesnt have to be half the cone diameter away, that makes no difference at all, but you do need the port and sub to be on the same plane. it doesnt matter on what part of that plane its on. you can point both the sub and port up at the window or just straight forward. you can try facing it backwards, but i dont think itll be as loud.

Jem09Dec-15-05 03:45 AM
224 posts,
#11758, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by InFiNiT3
question: why would u run the flame Q's in a ported encloser? Im sorry dude... just with my 7 yrs with audiobahn (sponcership) Ive never had a sucess with a ported encluser... no where near what i get with a sealed..... as for the room.... oh ya bud there is plenty..... i run 3 12" HC's 1.3 cf sealed per sub in a faulse floor where the spare used to go..... trust me go sealed youll be much happier..... and there will be much much less distortion.. (with that perticular sub anyway) mods include but not limited to: engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit. Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

Accordin' to Audiobahn, they recommend my model sub. to be in a ported/vented enclosure... I intended to go sealed and researched to get the specs. for the enclosure. When I found my model, it stated it'll be best in a vented box...but for the 10"/15" of the same model, they recommend sealed boxes...

Peace,
Jem

InFiNiT3Dec-15-05 09:01 AM
732 posts,
#11760, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 9

spl good point but that AW is an entirly diff animal than the flame Q...

and as for your box:
i guess the main question is what do u normaly listen to??? if your a spread as i am (listen to everything from house to classic rock to classical)you will enjoy a seal much much more..and as SPL noted above ... with the air space requirments for vented enclosers i will just take up too much room....so either end up building a box that uses the entire hatch space and have it heavey and look like hell or.... so sealed and save yourself the hassle..

engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

InFiNiT3Dec-15-05 09:02 AM
732 posts,
#11761, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 10

if ya want send me your email addy and ill send ya pics of what i did

Jem09Dec-15-05 12:27 PM
224 posts,
#11762, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 10

spl good point but that AW is an entirly diff animal than the flame Q... and as for your box: i guess the main question is what do u normaly listen to??? if your a spread as i am (listen to everything from house to classic rock to classical)you will enjoy a seal much much more..and as SPL noted above ... with the air space requirments for vented enclosers i will just take up too much room....so either end up building a box that uses the entire hatch space and have it heavey and look like hell or.... so sealed and save yourself the hassle.. mods include but not limited to: engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit. Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

I was born and raised in NYC...Uptown Manhattan/East Harlem... In my immediate (siblings) family, we didn't listen to types of music such as house, rock etc. (my sis. use to listen to New Kids On The Block, but that's another story and I wasn't chillin' with her much .: Laughin' :.). My bros. listened to heads like Run DMC, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Rakim, etc.... My parents would listen to heads like Marvin Gaye, etc....to make a long story short...(which I could've jus said this in the beginnin') I only listen to REAL Hip-Hop (Commercial Free for me), certain R&B heads, Soul and that's it... My environment also plays into the type of music I like. Mos. of the music I listen to consist of BASS... Which is why I wanted the mos. bass out of my set up...

What would the sealed specs. be for my model sub. and measurements for the box (if you already know them)...?

Good lookin' out for your knowledge and help fellas...

Peace,
Jem

InFiNiT3Dec-16-05 09:07 AM
732 posts,
#11764, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 12

well Mo (owner of audiobahn) said the min is .5ft max is 1.5 ft .... i would give it 1ft per sub sealed..i run my Ultra Excursion's in 1.25 per each ... i have 2 subs inverted and one flush mounted for ultra low distortion at high vol..

Jem09Dec-16-05 10:21 AM
224 posts,
#11765, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 14

well Mo (owner of audiobahn) said the min is .5ft max is 1.5 ft .... i would give it 1ft per sub sealed..i run my Ultra Excursion's in 1.25 per each ... i have 2 subs inverted and one flush mounted for ultra low distortion at high vol.. mods include but not limited to: engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit. Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

I forgot to give you my e-mail. I'd really like to see your setup. It'll help me visualize a few things. I also wanted the inverted/flush mounted look as well. But I jus purchased two 12's and didn't want to invest in another sub. along with the amp. to push that one alone. Do you think it'll be okay to have one inverted and the other flush with the same 1ft sealed box or should one differ from the other?

JemSees07@aol.com

Peace,
Jem

InFiNiT3Dec-16-05 07:18 PM
732 posts,
#11766, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 15

id seperate then... u can put them together in the same airspace... just wire the inverted one backwards

VOTBLINDUBDec-18-05 08:59 AM
403 posts,
#11768, "RE: Need Help Buildin' Ported Box To Spec...."
In response to Reply # 14
Dec-18-05 08:59 AM by VOTBLINDUB

well Mo (owner of audiobahn) said the min is .5ft max is 1.5 ft .... i would give it 1ft per sub sealed..i run my Ultra Excursion's in 1.25 per each ... i have 2 subs inverted and one flush mounted for ultra low distortion at high vol.. mods include but not limited to: engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit. Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

i run a JL Audio W7 12 in a 3.75 cubic foot box with about a 40 inch port, i will be making a new box soon. port will be a 125 box will be about the same, im not sure about the volume yet, ill need to do calculations after i design it. my sub runs with no noticable distortion at any volume. as far as the "ultra excursions" i dont know what the travel path is on the cones, but if they are made for more than regular excursion, run at least a 3 foot box, give them some serious air to push.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11742 Previous topic | Next topic