Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11566
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need advise on new head unit" Previous topic | Next topic
gramozekaSep-29-05 02:08 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
327 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11566, "Need advise on new head unit"
Sep-29-05 02:09 PM by gramozeka

I did a little search but the market is so diverse and always changing so I want some current opinions and I have a couple of things i need form the stereo.

I am thinking of running some good components in the front in stock location... I know they don't sound good in the doors but that is the only place I want them. Cheap pioneer 6x9 in the rear (since I have them already). And a sealed box sub 12" in the trunk... the usual

For the stereo is where I want help. My demands as follows:

Price around 300
Must be black to match the dash
orange back light to match the cars orange back light (there are some stereos that have multiple colors that would be nice)
mp3
must be a major brand don't want sony
Must have good screen to prevent glare ( in the sun I can’t see anything on the screen with my current stereo (older eclipse))
aux input for anything
must be this modelyear model

Please suggest models I should look at. So many I just can't choose on my own and the specific things above that I want.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need advise on new head unit, J, Sep-29-05 03:47 PM, #1
RE: Need advise on new head unit, gramozeka, Sep-29-05 04:58 PM, #2
      I think I found what I was looking for, gramozeka, Sep-30-05 10:40 AM, #3
           RE: I think I found what I was looking for, jdpilot, Oct-05-05 02:56 PM, #4
                RE: I think I found what I was looking for, SPL_Eclipse, Oct-05-05 05:02 PM, #5
                RE: I think I found what I was looking for, gramozeka, Oct-05-05 05:07 PM, #6
                     RE: I think I found what I was looking for, J, Oct-06-05 04:49 AM, #7
                          RE: I think I found what I was looking for, SPL_Eclipse, Oct-06-05 07:21 PM, #8
                               RE: I think I found what I was looking for, gramozeka, Oct-07-05 10:52 AM, #9
                                    RE: I think I found what I was looking for, SPL_Eclipse, Oct-07-05 10:13 PM, #10
                                         RE: I think I found what I was looking for, VOTBLINDUB, Oct-08-05 09:48 AM, #11
                                              RE: I think I found what I was looking for, shazow1969, Oct-10-05 05:52 AM, #12
                                                   RE: I think I found what I was looking for, gramozeka, Oct-10-05 08:44 AM, #13
                                                        RE: I think I found what I was looking for, SPL_Eclipse, Oct-10-05 06:42 PM, #14
                                                        RE: I think I found what I was looking for, MCubed45, Oct-11-05 04:07 PM, #15
                                                             RE: I think I found what I was looking for, gramozeka, Oct-12-05 06:40 AM, #16
                                                        RE: I think I found what I was looking for, VOTBLINDUB, Oct-12-05 04:06 PM, #17

JSep-29-05 03:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11567, "RE: Need advise on new head unit"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't believe they're made anymore, but I've always been partial to the JVC Kameleon's. I like the clean & shaved everything look when it comes 2 cars (handles, antenna, etc... uhhuh, I know what U're thinking, heh )

Quick search yielded this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001551/showCustom-0/p-2001551/N-111+10214+4294952187/c-10114/TID-0820

When off, it automatically flips flat... very purdy!
- J

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gramozekaSep-29-05 04:58 PM
327 posts,
#11568, "RE: Need advise on new head unit"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes that is a cool stereo, doesn't satisfy all the requirements I want ^^^

and I will have to add one more thing

detachable face is another must.

when i go to school work I park my car in a complete ghetto. My old 93 eclipse with 1.8 and a big dent on every 1/4 panel, peeling bumper with 154k miles was broken in and those stupid bustards were trying to steal it(they were too dumm to hot wire it, just demolished the ignition lock), I hat to hot wire it myself for 3 weeks before I found a good steering column replacement.

I know it's hard to fill all of those but help will be appreciated.

Thanks

gramozekaSep-30-05 10:40 AM
327 posts,
#11571, "I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 2

Some guy at the12volt.com sugested Clarion ProAudio DXZ755MC . I think that is what I will go with, any opinions or sugestions?

jdpilotOct-05-05 02:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#11575, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 3

Thats too bad. I have that exact same Kameleon and love it. I went with it for the sleek subtle stealthy look. Matches my black ride perfectly!

Second Place "Sanford Sound SLAP 2005" Mild 2-Door
http://www.sanfordsound.com/carwash2005.htm
Second Place "Scrapefest 2002" 2nd Gen Mild
1995 GS AT, 97-99 Conversion.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8
1999 Chevy K2500 crew cab
5 jets skis, 3 snowmobiles, 2 ATVs. BRAAP!
Member # 1147

SPL_EclipseOct-05-05 05:02 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11576, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 4

that clarion is great. the little up/down "switch" on the side of the knob is awesome...one of the best ergonomic features for a headunit. ive had my clarion (with a similar design) for 5 years now and it runs like a champ to this day.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

gramozekaOct-05-05 05:07 PM
327 posts,
#11577, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-05-05 05:12 PM by gramozeka

Hey jdpilot since I have been looking for new stereos lately I was looking at cars in my neighborhood, and one of them has that JVC stereo and it is obvious that it is a stereo and not removable face, so if I was a stereo thief I would go for it in a second. It is black that is good, but has red buttons, I will change the backlight later but now I want it to look classy with amber glow matching the dash

SPL_Eclipse

Oh really, you posted your message same time I posted this so this thanks for encouragement, will look in to that feature. Hey since you have same stereo, does lack of EQ only treble and base creates any problems? Or you don't even notice it?

Also it turns out that clarion stereo I wanted was discontinued  so I am still in a search for car stereo or I ill wait till next year and see if clarion will come out with a different model (may be it will have screen that will show movies). Help Please.

JOct-06-05 04:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11578, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 6

Nope, not @ all... I also 'had' a Kameleon (may it rest in pieces).

The bottom lip w/ all the buttons flips up to the same gloss black. The round knob also retracts flush w/ the LCD. All buttons you see are lit & they simply 'unlight'. The entire radio is flat & loox black when off. If you've got any kind of dark tint, you will not see anything there. It is VERY sleek, I must say. If I wasn't gonna build a carputer, I'd get the Xact same one again!!!

Mine died after abuse of a friend after 4 years of loyal service,
- J

- J

SPL_EclipseOct-06-05 07:21 PM
5921 posts,
#11580, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 7

"Mine died after abuse of a friend after 4 years of loyal service"

unfortunatly, the kameleons tend to fail relativly early. it was the most returned product in my department when i used to work at best buy. also...im sorry, but its plainly obvious that theres a headunit there even when in "stealth" mode. great idea..poor exicution.

as for the EQ question, im of the opinion that that less is more when it comes to headunits. honestly i just care if its easy to use and has the SQ features i want (high output voltage/good D/A converter/excellent s/n ratio/etc.). most people will only screw up thier sound with a massive EQ anyway.

sorry to hear that the clarion is discontinued. im sure you could find one SOMEWHERE, and probably at a discount.

gramozekaOct-07-05 10:52 AM
327 posts,
#11584, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 8

Finding one is not a problem, at a reasonable price too, but I want something new, what i mean is they discontinued them for a reason, and I would like to think the reason is they are preparing for 2006 model year. And looking at all the stereos around they have the fancy screen that shows small "cartoons" So I am thinking that for the 2006 they will have a stereo in the same price range with same features + the cool screen.

Also have u seen the s/n ration of sony they are way higher than everything else like 120 dB even for cheap stereos are they just inflating the # ? Or are they the real deal. The only good product form sony that I had so far and it had a good bang for the buck was headphones that go all the way in to the ear, yet they still have some negatives, they are too basy for my taste.

Back on the topic of car stereo first I said that I can't see anything in the sun, because the stereo reflects (blics) the light too much, now the sun went away (cuz it's fall already) and I still can't see shit during the day cuz the stupid stereo is on the angle ( I have to put my hand above the stereo to block the light so I can see something) Any one else have this problem? I don't have any tint, it will come but not now.

SPL_EclipseOct-07-05 10:13 PM
5921 posts,
#11586, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 9

anything above 100dBs where s/n is concerned is fine. you will never, ever, ever notice a difference. thats why i seriously base my choice on ergonomics.

VOTBLINDUBOct-08-05 09:48 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11590, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 10

get one of those goofy ass chameleons them, sony makes that i think

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

shazow1969Oct-10-05 05:52 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#11600, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 11

Hey bro I Bought a New Kenwood Excellon before I went home for R&R and installed it the first night home. Well I already had a kenwood so the install took only about 10 minutes. I think the deck i bought meets all your requirements including the detachable face. It has 3 sets of 4 volt preamp outputs (front, rear, sub), so it will be easy to add multiple amps for component sets and your sub is on a different channel. It is very easy to use. Comes with a remote, original price is 300 but I have a link here you can get it for $179.00.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14806

Also I figured id mention it was amazing quality sound with out even tuning after fine tuning the sound it was even better. Hope this helps you out. Oh yeah also this deck goes great with out interiors. Flows seamlessly.

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

gramozekaOct-10-05 08:44 AM
327 posts,
#11603, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 12

VOTBLINDUB dude no way I am getting sony. They suck. I was just curious why they inflate their numbers.

shazow1969

Actually I send an email to crutchfield, thinking they can help me, and they suggested to get a Kenwood KDC-MP7028. I am looking to spend $300 so the one you are telling me is kind of cheap. But it does look like a good stereo

Some developments on my search:
1. Tech support form crutchfield said that there is a depth limitation on mounting stereos, Is it true? I didn't get a chance yet to take the stereo I have in there and see for myself, is it tight?

2. I went to best buy over the weekend to try out some stereos. I tried Kenwoods including the ones motioned above, didn't like them all that much. They didn't have any clarions. But they had alpines and I really like the 9855. It satisfy all my requirements including multi color illumination. And I found a store in Manhattan that sells that model under $300 So it looks like the choice is between clarion DXZ755MC and Alpine 9855. the only things left is to find out if there is a limitation in depth inside our dash and try to find clarion so I can play with it a little.

But I have to say Alpine 5833 is way too cool, Has all the filters included LPF, HPS. Two way crossover, three way crossover, has 5 and 7 band EQ. It has Cool slide thingy on the front instead of buttons. And with a list price of $500 and me getting it under $300 it is a good deal. But I am not rushing.

SPL_EclipseOct-10-05 06:42 PM
5921 posts,
#11605, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 13

there is a mammoth amount of space behind the dash. the only thing behind the headunit is a relay bank, and that can be unscrewed and pushed back a few inches if needed (it will take 1 minute). you can EASILY get 10" of depth back there.

MCubed45Oct-11-05 04:07 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11607, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 14

crutchfield'ss massive vehicle fitment guide is stupid. idk why they put so much time into it when half of it's wrong. it might be accurate for other vehicles but for our cars it's way off. i don't think anyone has ever had trouble installing ANY single-din HU in an eclipse.

-marc

gramozekaOct-12-05 06:40 AM
327 posts,
#11610, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 15

SPL_Eclipse, MCubed45 thanks for letting me know about the limitation or batter said the lack of one.

I am leaning toward alpine.

VOTBLINDUBOct-12-05 04:06 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11615, "RE: I think I found what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 13

good, cuz sont decks can blow m

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11566 Previous topic | Next topic