Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11372
View in linear mode

Subject: "building a box" Previous topic | Next topic
joeck76Aug-04-05 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11372, "building a box"

quick question im thinking about building a custom box out of wood for my 2 10" subs i want the box to take up the space just after the rear seats and down the hump and out like 8 inches with an angled front piece( i know this sounds kinda off but looking from the rear hatch you would be able to see the speakers pointing at an upward angle facing the rear glass, with this box you still have 80% use of your trunk, my question is when using wood, (cause i havent mastered glass yet) what is the best to use for the gaps and to seal all air? liquid nails? silicone? i need something that will hold up to all the vibration and pressure cause these 10s hit hard. also if anyone has a similar set up does it work out well? right now my subs are all the way to the end of my trunk facing to the rear and they sound good but my trunk is ugly? thanx in advance and i will be sure to post pics when im done.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: building a box, goalieman24, Aug-04-05 03:09 PM, #1
RE: building a box, joeck76, Aug-04-05 03:20 PM, #2
      RE: building a box, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-05-05 06:52 AM, #3
           RE: building a box, joeck76, Aug-06-05 05:42 PM, #4
                RE: building a box, donnyb373, Aug-06-05 08:10 PM, #5
                     RE: building a box, joeck76, Aug-08-05 04:44 PM, #6
                          RE: here goes, joeck76, Aug-10-05 04:48 PM, #7
                               RE: here goes, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-10-05 10:24 PM, #8
                                    RE: here goes, joeck76, Aug-11-05 03:46 AM, #9

goalieman24Aug-04-05 03:09 PM
Member since Sep 13th 2003
174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11373, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 0

When I made mine I used liquid nails along the faces of the wood that were touching along with screws. I also used some kind of caulk on the inside after it was built... maybe redundant sealing but it seems to be working. The box design sounds good but be careful that it will still be balanced. I tried making a box over that lip a while ago and it fit fine but seemed to be kind of top heavy and wobbled around. If you have some type of L-bracket to hold it down it should be fine though. Good luck

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

joeck76Aug-04-05 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11374, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 1

ok thanx for the feedback, i was wondering if liquid nails would hold ( i dont know why that stuff will hold anything) ill be sure to post but yes i believe i have a good system the box has to actually slide down on i cant just place it on its hard to explain but i will take pictures, needless to say theres no way its gonna tip when im done i have the base made already i just need to seal it up and make it air tight. anyone else wanna give me some feedback on this??

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

SPL_EclipseAug-05-05 06:52 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11380, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 2

you dont HAVE to use liquid nails, regular elmers wood glue works great. however...make sure you have a way to secure the bottom panel (which you said is already in the car) to the rest of the box (e.i. screws). if you cant do that, then build the box with another bottom piece which can be secured to the existing panel. i like to run a bead of silicone (any kind will do) around every seam on the inside of the box. for the top baffle, you may have to use your finger to spread it around. if the subs are hefty...make sure you brace the box well. a couple 2x4s between the top baffle (where the subs are mounted) and the back baffle is perfect.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

joeck76Aug-06-05 05:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11392, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 3

Update... the box is built and it fits great. i used liquid nails to seal all spaces on the outside and a silicone sealant on the inside. hooked subs up and amp tonight for a trial run and it really kicks. so far im very happy with sound quality, the bass really carries which was my main concern and the sound is great. now i need to do the finishing touches with the carpeting and tighten everything up and snap some shots, i think im gonna like this set up because it looks more appealing when the trunk is opened and it gives alot more space in the trunk for what ever i need to carry.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

donnyb373Aug-06-05 08:10 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#11394, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 4

pics?

joeck76Aug-08-05 04:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11397, "RE: building a box"
In response to Reply # 5

i have pics i can email you if you wanna host them for me i havent figured out how to do it yet

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

joeck76Aug-10-05 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11422, "RE: here goes"
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-10-05 04:49 PM by joeck76

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

SPL_EclipseAug-10-05 10:24 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11423, "RE: here goes"
In response to Reply # 7

christ-on-a-stick thats tiny. from what i can (barely) see, it looks great though! get some bigger pics up!!!!

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

joeck76Aug-11-05 03:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11424, "RE: here goes"
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-11-05 03:48 AM by joeck76

http://imageshack.us>
http://imageshack.us>

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11372 Previous topic | Next topic