Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1136
View in linear mode

Subject: "System design opinions" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamdougie2Jan-13-02 04:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1136, "System design opinions"

I'm designing a basic audio system for my car and would like your opinions on my speaker setup. Everything will be high quality brands.

Front: 5-1/4" Components
Rear : 6-1/2" Midbass Woofers (not coaxials)
Subs : Two 12" Subwoofers Sealed Enclosure

I have a 100Wx2 stereo amp for the fronts and a 200W Mono Amp for the rears. What do you guys (or gals) think about using the 6-1/2s in the back and powering them with a mono amp? Sounds like a good idea to me but I've never done it. Thanks

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: System design opinions, All4thaN0okie, Jan-13-02 04:59 AM, #1
RE: System design opinions, PowerEclipses, Jan-13-02 06:29 AM, #2
RE: System design opinions, BeefGG, Jan-13-02 11:04 AM, #3
      RE: System design opinions, jZa, Jan-14-02 01:56 PM, #4
           RE: System design opinions, Teamdougie2, Jan-14-02 03:15 PM, #5
                RE: System design opinions, koolade9, Jan-15-02 04:23 PM, #6
                     RE: System design opinions, Teamdougie2, Jan-16-02 10:02 AM, #7
                          RE: System design opinions, koolade9, Jan-16-02 12:13 PM, #8
                               RE: System design opinions, Teamdougie2, Jan-16-02 04:45 PM, #9

All4thaN0okieJan-13-02 04:59 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1137, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont like the mono amp idea... because you will lose the effect of when the "surround sound" (i dont know how else to describe it) so your rear speakers will always be playing all of the music instead of the left playing the left and the right playing the right like it's supposed to be..
i would use that amp for my subs...and get another amp for the rear

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

PowerEclipsesJan-13-02 06:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#1138, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 1

err... if you want to really impress your friends get a 4 channel amp replace the 6x9s get a component setup whhich has tweeters a mid-bass and you should also get 2 jls or something in that range then you will need a nice amp with that prob 2 of the same brand so it looks good i hear rockford makes nice amps go with them or go to www.justamps.com and get your shit through them... they have AWSOME deals good luck

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

BeefGGJan-13-02 11:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
196 posts,
#1139, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't think the mono amp for stereo speakers is a good idea either. Your positioning won't be what it could be with stereo. But you said they were midbass woofers. If you mean then they will be filtered to not play the upper frequences or the lower frequences, I would think that the positioning wouldn't be as important since the lower frequences aren't as directional as the higher ones. I would say just to try it and just be ready for it not to sound as good as you would like. I would say sell your amp and buy a four channel one. Or maybe even brige the 4 channel indash receiver to 2 channels to power either the front or rear channels.

jZaJan-14-02 01:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#1140, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 3

midrange frequencies are directional so i wouldn't do that. If you have a mono amp i would sell it and buy a stereo amp. If you just wanted to get the most out of the amp, you can buy 2 ohm speakers such as image dynamics. Some people don't even use rear speakers, you can just get 6.5's up front, but its a matter of taste whether or not you want rear speakers.

"real men don't ride stick"

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Teamdougie2Jan-14-02 03:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1141, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok.. that idea is definitely out, thanks guys. Will just 6-1/2" and Tweeters up front be enough? I really don't like the idea of any highs coming from the rear, that's why I was just going to put a 6-1/2" woofers back there.

What do you think of a Boston Acoustics Pro 6-1/2" Component set up front and 2 12" Subs in the hatch? Should I have rear fill? What would I use?

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

koolade9Jan-15-02 04:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1142, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 5

5 1/4 components in the kickpanels, and 6 1/2s or 8s in the doors, no rears, maybe a sub or two in the trunk. you'll be all smiles

Teamdougie2Jan-16-02 10:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1143, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 6

Your saying put the 5-1/4"s AND the tweeters in a kick panel (like Q-Forms) and 6-1/2" or 8" in the doors and subs in the hatch, correct?

What if I put the 5-1/4"s in the doors, tweeters in the dash where my factory ones are, and the 6-1/2" or 8" in the rear? And ofcoarse the subs. How big of a difference would there be in sound quality and imaging?

Doug

koolade9Jan-16-02 12:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1144, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 7

imaging above 200hz would be good with some eq-ing with the midbass that far away, it'll sound a little wierd. try to keep everything above 60-70hz in front of you to setup a decent soundstage. I'd rather see you do just 6 1/2s in the doors, and tweets in the dash(no rear 8s) and subs. then put your midbass back there.

I know you're just itchin to fill those holes, but think a little abstract, they make great places for fuse blocks, RDAT cover, strobe cover, grill with alarm sirens behind it, even just a set of 5 1/4 components with very little power running to them as a good rear-fill setup.

Teamdougie2Jan-16-02 04:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1145, "RE: System design opinions"
In response to Reply # 8

Hey man, thanks for all the advise! I'mma do some shopping now and see what I can come up with.

Doug

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1136 Previous topic | Next topic