Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11327
View in linear mode

Subject: "Power Antenna on a Switch" Previous topic | Next topic
ctitalian1Jul-26-05 02:38 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2005
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11327, "Power Antenna on a Switch"

I know it's minor but doesn't it annoy you when your power antenna goes up even when you don't need it, like when you're listening to a CD? I've heard of ppl wiring in a switch to operate it manually before but I am not so sure on as how to do it myself. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28
formerly Evman2345's '97 Eclipse GS w/ some goodies

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, a_miller_76, Jul-26-05 03:13 AM, #1
RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, ctitalian1, Jul-26-05 04:51 AM, #2
      RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, a_miller_76, Jul-26-05 05:58 AM, #3
           RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, ctitalian1, Jul-26-05 08:53 AM, #4
                RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, EvMan2345, Jul-26-05 09:46 AM, #5
                     RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, ctitalian1, Jul-26-05 03:17 PM, #6
                          RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, MCubed45, Jul-28-05 12:47 PM, #7
                               RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, ctitalian1, Jul-29-05 07:47 AM, #8
                                    RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, MCubed45, Aug-01-05 01:30 PM, #9
                                         RE: Power Antenna on a Switch, ctitalian1, Aug-03-05 03:13 AM, #10

a_miller_76Jul-26-05 03:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11328, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Uh, are you using the stock radio? Because if you get an aftermarket stereo it will go down when you're playing a CD.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ctitalian1Jul-26-05 04:51 AM
67 posts,
#11329, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 1

I have a Clarion 7" touchscreen in dash and it still goes up I'm pretty sure

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28

a_miller_76Jul-26-05 05:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11330, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by ctitalian1
I have a Clarion 7" touchscreen in dash and it still goes up I'm pretty sure

Well look in your wiring harness, there should be a solid blue wire and a blue wire with a white stripe.

The solid blue is the antenna remote turn on.
The blue with white stripe is the amplifier remote turn on.

Now you should have the solid blue wired to your antenna lead. That way when you use any function other than the radio the antenna goes down.

If you used the blue with white stripe then the antenna will go up all the time.

Now if you only have a blue wire then you're just screwed because that's going to be used for both aplications. Some brands do this, most don't.

ctitalian1Jul-26-05 08:53 AM
67 posts,
#11331, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 3

thnx 4 ur help but I just thought of a new idea, me not to f*** with it for now haha thnx n e ways tho

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28

EvMan2345Jul-26-05 09:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#11332, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 4

theres no power antenna on it- just the switched power thats why its always up.

Evan B
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

ctitalian1Jul-26-05 03:17 PM
67 posts,
#11334, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 5

oo alright thnx, it's no big deal

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28

MCubed45Jul-28-05 12:47 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11342, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 6

it's pretty easy to throw in a relay or somethin to bypass it. i have my aftermarket power antenna setup to go down when i pop the trunk. i did this b/c i have a commando wing to install and the antenna goes through the wing. if the car's ever running and you wanted to open the trunk the wing would bend the antenna if you didn't have a means to retract it. mine does it all on it's own now

-marc

ctitalian1Jul-29-05 07:47 AM
67 posts,
#11345, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 7

that's awesome, ya I have a commando wing to and before I open the hatch I always have to turn the ignition to off first. I usually forget and then end up catching myself halfway lol

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28

MCubed45Aug-01-05 01:30 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11356, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by ctitalian1
that's awesome, ya I have a commando wing to and before I open the hatch I always have to turn the ignition to off first. I usually forget and then end up catching myself halfway lol

lol yea definately rewire it like mine then. it's pretty simple as all the wires you need to tap are back there in the trunk area. you take the ground signal from the hatch sensor and use it to trigger a relay which bypasses the siganl wire to the antenna. when the trunk is popped the sensor wire activates the door ajar light in your dash and will now also energize the coil in the relay. this cuts the signal wire to the antenna and causes it to retract. when you close the trunk the relay deactivates and the antenna raises again.

-marc

ctitalian1Aug-03-05 03:13 AM
67 posts,
#11361, "RE: Power Antenna on a Switch"
In response to Reply # 9

I wish I understood a word you just said lol...I sucked with electrical but the guy who owned the car before me was awesome with it. Maybe he'll have some insight.

BUILT '69 Camaro Z/28

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11327 Previous topic | Next topic