Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11302
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lot's of help needed..." Previous topic | Next topic
Max-EclipseJul-20-05 07:03 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2004
527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11302, "Lot's of help needed..."

Ok, I'll get straight to it. As of now, I plan on having 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Power stage-2 subs in the back of my car in a fiberglass enclosure built by me, the amp/s will be in the enclosure too... and so will NX bottles (but that really has nothing to do with my questions ) and I will have Rockford fosgate speakers in where the stock ones are by the back seats (i assume they have some that will fit... and also, my backseats will be taken out, and it's all gettin fiberglasses, and those panels will flow with the design of the enclosure) and 2 RF speakers up in front (not sure what size speakers will fit good there...) in custom spots in the door panels... Now, here are my questions:

What amps do I need/want to push that system? I don't know a lot about this stuff (I know most of you cringe when you here that because it means i haven't searched enough... but I don't have a lot of time right now... and i probably couldn't answer my question good enough like that anyways)

What size speakers do i need for the front and back?

What do I need to do to make sure NOTHING will vibrate/rattle, cause I really hate it when cars rattle cause of their system?

What do I do to help make it sound it's best? Is there a certain ammount of space under the enclosures i should allow for certain ammount of air? Venting? anything like that

What is dynamatt exactly?

any other advice would be appreciated greatly!

thanks

--------------------------------------
My Parts For Sale - http://picasaweb.google.com/schmeling88/CarParts

Contact me if you're interested in any.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Lot's of help needed..., a_miller_76, Jul-20-05 07:41 AM, #1
RE: Lot's of help needed..., Max-Eclipse, Jul-20-05 07:55 AM, #2
      RE: Lot's of help needed..., a_miller_76, Jul-20-05 08:09 AM, #3
           RE: Lot's of help needed..., SPL_Eclipse, Jul-20-05 09:36 AM, #4
                RE: Lot's of help needed..., Max-Eclipse, Jul-21-05 01:52 PM, #7
                     RE: Lot's of help needed..., SPL_Eclipse, Jul-21-05 08:15 PM, #8
                     RE: Lot's of help needed..., a_miller_76, Jul-22-05 02:07 AM, #9
                          RE: Lot's of help needed..., Max-Eclipse, Jul-22-05 06:21 AM, #10
RE: Lot's of help needed..., CustomGS, Jul-20-05 12:41 PM, #5
RE: Lot's of help needed..., a_miller_76, Jul-20-05 12:47 PM, #6
      RE: Lot's of help needed..., VOTBLINDUB, Jul-29-05 03:12 PM, #11

a_miller_76Jul-20-05 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11303, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Max-Eclipse
What size speakers do i need for the front and back?

Depends on what model you have. Most cars have 6.5's front and rear, but some have 4" up front, and then others have 6X9's. Just gonna have to pull it apart and check dude.

What do I need to do to make sure NOTHING will vibrate/rattle, cause I really hate it when cars rattle cause of their system?

Absolutely nothing or a SHITLOAD of everything. I've never seen a car that is 100% rattle free, sorry. Here's a list of things you can do, but since you have no experience then I don't suggest you try any of this on your own.

1. Mat everything, double and triple layer thin areas.
2. Get spray in bedliner material and cover all the areas you can't reach or get with mat.
3. Fill all non-usefull empty space in your car between the interior panels and outer sheetmetal with expanding foam (extremely difficult, can warp car, get a professional)
4. Get your car professionally undercoated with a bedliner (like Line-X or Rhino Liner)
5. Put a layer of players clay on the back of every plastic part in your car (Players clay is the stuff little kids get that doesn't dry up)
6. Barium infused sound deadeners if you're psycho-serious.

What do I do to help make it sound it's best?

Search, read, search, read, search...and maybe read. There are thousands of websites with far more answers than I have the time or energy to type.

Is there a certain ammount of space under the enclosures i should allow for certain ammount of air? Venting? anything like that

Yup, and it all depends on what speaker you buy. Also the shape of the box has a huge influence on the sound your speakers make. Square boxes are basically for shops to throw shit in your car and make some money. Once again, search and learn.

What is dynamatt exactly?

Dynamat, exactly, is a waste of fucking money. I think you're asking what is "sound deadening mat" and that's a better question. Mat is a thin foil sheet that is backed by a thick material which alters the resonant frequency nature of metal. Basically turns "pings" into "thuds" by weighting the metal down and reducing vibration.

Now, "Dynamat" is a very over priced waste of your money. Go on eBay and get "Fatmat". Same shit, like 1/3 of the price.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Max-EclipseJul-20-05 07:55 AM
527 posts,
#11304, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks! helped a bunch...

ideas/advice still welcome...

also, does anyone know any GOOD sites with GOOD information about the size and shape and venting and all that of enclosures, cause im sure theres a lot of crap out there by people that don't know what they are talkinga bout...

a_miller_76Jul-20-05 08:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11305, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 2

www.12volt.com

SPL_EclipseJul-20-05 09:36 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11306, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.bcae1.com/

that is your new bible.

as for the speaker size question...if you are fiberglassing and customizing the mounts, it doesnt really matter. theres quite a bit of room behind the stock speakers. i am going to caution you though: it seems like you have a massive install planned but dont know much about what the hell you're doing. please, please, please start off small and work your way up...otherwise you might end up with something that looks and sounds like shit (assuming this is your first big install).

another hint on staying rattle free: wrap and secure a thin strip of felt (or similar) around the "bar" that the latch secures to in the trunk. this will hold the trunk lid down tighter. in my old car, i also adhered a thin layer of matching carpet inbetween the edge of the plastic interior pieces and the metal they touched. this eliminated every rattle i had, especially the ones from the plastic trim in the hatch. if you make really clean cuts and color match the felt/carpet/whatever, its unnoticable.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Max-EclipseJul-21-05 01:52 PM
527 posts,
#11312, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse
http://www.bcae1.com/ that is your new bible. as for the speaker size question...if you are fiberglassing and customizing the mounts, it doesnt really matter. theres quite a bit of room behind the stock speakers. i am going to caution you though: it seems like you have a massive install planned but dont know much about what the hell you're doing. please, please, please start off small and work your way up...otherwise you might end up with something that looks and sounds like shit (assuming this is your first big install). another hint on staying rattle free: wrap and secure a thin strip of felt (or similar) around the "bar" that the latch secures to in the trunk. this will hold the trunk lid down tighter. in my old car, i also adhered a thin layer of matching carpet inbetween the edge of the plastic interior pieces and the metal they touched. this eliminated every rattle i had, especially the ones from the plastic trim in the hatch. if you make really clean cuts and color match the felt/carpet/whatever, its unnoticable.

thanks for the help...

This is my first big install... I'm not sure what you mean by start small and work my way up, but if you mean to do a smaller system setup, and upgrade it later and do more stuff later, then im not going to do that cause my car is getting built the way i want this time... after i get my car done, i'm moving on to a GSX and won't be doing a whole lot to this car other than regular maintenence and stuff... I will be reading a ton, and making sure everything is right and that im not gonna screw it all up before i do it though...

SPL_EclipseJul-21-05 08:15 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11315, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse http://www.bcae1.com/ that is your new bible. as for the speaker size question...if you are fiberglassing and customizing the mounts, it doesnt really matter. theres quite a bit of room behind the stock speakers. i am going to caution you though: it seems like you have a massive install planned but dont know much about what the hell you're doing. please, please, please start off small and work your way up...otherwise you might end up with something that looks and sounds like shit (assuming this is your first big install). another hint on staying rattle free: wrap and secure a thin strip of felt (or similar) around the "bar" that the latch secures to in the trunk. this will hold the trunk lid down tighter. in my old car, i also adhered a thin layer of matching carpet inbetween the edge of the plastic interior pieces and the metal they touched. this eliminated every rattle i had, especially the ones from the plastic trim in the hatch. if you make really clean cuts and color match the felt/carpet/whatever, its unnoticable.
thanks for the help... This is my first big install... I'm not sure what you mean by start small and work my way up, but if you mean to do a smaller system setup, and upgrade it later and do more stuff later, then im not going to do that cause my car is getting built the way i want this time... after i get my car done, i'm moving on to a GSX and won't be doing a whole lot to this car other than regular maintenence and stuff... I will be reading a ton, and making sure everything is right and that im not gonna screw it all up before i do it though...

if its your first big install, expect a lot of frustration. my best advice is to stay patient and alot a bit of time and money to make sure things get done right the first time!! if you ever have any questions please ask! best of luck to you.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

a_miller_76Jul-22-05 02:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11317, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 7

I will be reading a ton, and making sure everything is right and that im not gonna screw it all up before i do it though...

That's not gonna happen dude. I worked in car audio for 5 years and I still screw stuff up. And reading won't prevent shit, you may get some great ideas but it's not gonna stop shit from happening.

Are you paying someone to do this?

Max-EclipseJul-22-05 06:21 AM
527 posts,
#11318, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by Max-Eclipsepaying someone to do this?

I might get some things dome profesionally, but for the most part, my car will be done completely by me... the engine, interior, exterior, system... everything... I know it might not be perfect as soon as i put it in, and I know ill have to mess with it a lil bit, but that's ok... and im a very patient person

CustomGSJul-20-05 12:41 PM
Member since Jul 15th 2004
668 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11307, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 0

l What do I need to do to make sure NOTHING will vibrate/rattle, cause I really hate it when cars rattle cause of their system?

Come on Miller, You know you have done the Toilet paper/Rag shoved behind the license plate before.

J/k- Miller is dead on with what he said

Chris
---------------------------------------

98 Eclipse GS 5 spd- sold
95 Camaro Z28
64.5 Mustang 302 3spd

Originally posted by DR1665
Sometimes, you don't need to pull away to win. You just need to show them they have nowhere to run.

Originally posted by Nine5eclipse03
No, but one time i tried to pee over a car, and pooped my pants.

a_miller_76Jul-20-05 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11308, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by CustomGS
Originally posted by Max-Eclipse l What do I need to do to make sure NOTHING will vibrate/rattle, cause I really hate it when cars rattle cause of their system?
Come on Miller, You know you have done the Toilet paper/Rag shoved behind the license plate before. J/k- Miller is dead on with what he said

I did dynamat my license plate once. And it didn't fix shit cuz it wasn't my plate rattling LOL

VOTBLINDUBJul-29-05 03:12 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11348, "RE: Lot's of help needed..."
In response to Reply # 6

i wouldnt call dynamat a waste. its more for places where u dont have room. i did my doors, other than that i just use expanding foam from home depot, the ones in cans. works for me

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11302 Previous topic | Next topic