Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11280
View in linear mode

Subject: "heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed" Previous topic | Next topic
jdpilotJul-16-05 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11280, "heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"

Alright. I thought I finished my stereo but I need more. Heres the setup;

JVC Kameleon head unit (I think its like 50w x4??)
Front-Pioneer TS-A1680R 220 watt 4 way 6.5 inchers
Front- Pioneer TS-T110 120 watt 22mm Dash mount tweets
Rear- Pioneer TS-A6970R 240 watt 3 way 6x9s

Anyway. All the apeahers were pretty much direct fit (yes, even the 6x9s in the rear!!)I chose this setup as I wasn't originally looking for anything major. Just a nice step up from stock.

Anyway, My G/F rode in th eride this weekend since the stereo install and said "wheres the bass??"

To her point, there isn't much at all (bass). Even when turned all the way up on the H/U. I expected more from 6x9s in the rear from what I read in these threads.

Is it my setup?? Or am I just (we) use to stock amplifed systems on our other cars? What wattage 4 channel would you reccomend for the above and would it give me the SMALL amount of bass I desire? Any brand preferences for amps? I am new to stereo shiznit! Thnx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, a_miller_76, Jul-16-05 12:56 PM, #1
RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, jdpilot, Jul-16-05 01:31 PM, #2
      RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, a_miller_76, Jul-16-05 02:45 PM, #3
           RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, djtrickee, Jul-16-05 02:52 PM, #4
                RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, jdpilot, Jul-16-05 03:12 PM, #5
                RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, jdpilot, Jul-16-05 03:15 PM, #6
                RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, a_miller_76, Jul-16-05 04:57 PM, #7
                     RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, SPL_Eclipse, Jul-20-05 06:38 AM, #8
                          RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed, VOTBLINDUB, Jul-29-05 03:16 PM, #9

a_miller_76Jul-16-05 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11281, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason you're not going to get much bass from any speaker you put in the rear. Cars that have "bass" from rear speakers get it because the speaker resonates in the trunk. Since we have no trunk there is no seperated air space to give it that resonance. Aside from that unless you sealed the pod off (which I doubt you did) then you just have air slipping around the pod and providing no suspension to that speaker.

Which is fine, because if you want "bass" you need a sub and a small amp.

Also I hope you have those tweets capped off in the dash because if you don't they're gonna blow faster than you can say "What's a cap dude?"

If you were to come by my place I could check your shit out and help you since I was an installer for years. And I live one town over LOL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jdpilotJul-16-05 01:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#11282, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 1

Yah know, seriously, since I finally finished my classes three weeks ago (Bacheleors fuck yeah) I have all this spare time I should roll by. You still at the info center?? Email me your cell.

Also, Seriously, whats a cap?? I mounted them in the pods that were in the dash. I dremeled out the old speaker per one of (yours I think??) old posts.

You reccomend a good 4 channel amp for these bitches?

Second Place "Sanford Sound SLAP 2005" Mild 2-Door
http://www.sanfordsound.com/carwash2005.htm
Second Place "Scrapefest 2002" 2nd Gen Mild
1995 GS AT, 97-99 Conversion.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8
1999 Chevy K2500 crew cab
5 jets skis, 3 snowmobiles, 2 ATVs. BRAAP!
Member # 1147

a_miller_76Jul-16-05 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11283, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 2

A "cap" is short for capacitor. It takes all the bass signals out of your tweeters. If you don't they will blow like a crack whore on the 14th of the month.

Yeah I'm still at the info center. Give me a budget range for what you're willing to spend on an amp and I'll give you some good suggestions.

djtrickeeJul-16-05 02:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11284, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by a_miller_76
A "cap" is short for capacitor.

crossover...

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

jdpilotJul-16-05 03:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#11285, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 4

Hold up. I thought a cap was an extra battery if I had a humungo mega powerful sytem? They have built in x overs, is that cool?

2000 BMW Z3 2.8
Member # 1147

jdpilotJul-16-05 03:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#11286, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pzorGc1fFmR/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=130TST110

A high pass inline x over. Am I straight?

2000 BMW Z3 2.8
Member # 1147

a_miller_76Jul-16-05 04:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11287, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by a_miller_76 A "cap" is short for capacitor.
crossover...

A crossover uses a series of capacitors and chokes to create a multiple audio stream going to specialty speakers requiring only the frequencies produced by the split audio stream.

A CAPACITOR in line with a tweeter removes the bass from that speaker. You don't use a crossover on just a tweeter because you're not crossing anything over (crossovers get their name from the crossing over of frequency responses sent to individual drivers)

Yeah jason if you had those and you put it inline you're fine. And you're correct that caps are also the power capacitors used pre-amp for a cleaner power signal. They are actually the same thing but you're using a 1 farad cap for your amp but you'd use like a 50micro farad cap for your tweets (can't remember the exact number)

SPL_EclipseJul-20-05 06:38 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11300, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 7

the original dash tweets are already pre-wired with an inline cap. i believe the cutoff frequency is around 1500hz (if i rememeber correctly). thats pretty low, so just watch out on the volume. go here:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp

for a good crossover calculator and more info. when you enter the info, pay attention to the second result listed...the 1st order capacitor value.

as for the bass....good luck. do everything you can to isolate the front of the speaker from the back to prevent cancellation without resticting the airspace to zero. it practically impossible. an easier, cheaper, and far tackier way to solve the problem would be to buy some 6x9 boxes from any local ghetto audio place.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

VOTBLINDUBJul-29-05 03:16 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11349, "RE: heres my setup. Advice (stereo) needed"
In response to Reply # 8

well there is a way to get bass from ur 6x9s actually. its not very hard. i used to run a set in the back so i had to modify the plastic things they fit into. i basically sealed off the back with fiberglass. it kind of made a small enclosure, it gives it more of a boom. if you want mine, gime like 5 bucks and shipping and ill send you mine, i dont use them anymore, im running only the fronts now. let me know on AIM, my sn is VOTBLINDUB

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11280 Previous topic | Next topic