Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11260
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!" Previous topic | Next topic
ShadowWulfJul-06-05 12:52 PM
Member since Jan 24th 2005
95 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11260, "Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"

Ok guys, i have a 96' RS. I was robbed awhile back and had everything stolen. Then my motor blew etc etc, and now after the rebuild i really cant afford to replace the aftermarket sound system i had for awhile.
(BTW i did run a search before asking)

A friend has given me a stock Infinity deck (CD/TAPE/AM-FM) and the infinity amp that came with it. However, i cant get the damn thing to power on. I have 2 harnesses (i suppose from the stocker non-infinity that was in there previously) One harness cleanly connects to infinity deck, the other does....what? What is it for? it doesnt plug in.

I also have the large white plug in under my passenger seat for the infinity amp, which is connected. Theres another plug on the amp though, a round plug, that i either do not have or havent located yet (i dont think the round plugs were on the RS?)

What do i need to get this thing to work? Im assuming the round plug from the other connection on the deck to the amp, right? Is there a place to make/buy one for under $130 bucks? (thats a price i saw someone else a few years back quote...) And is that all i need? Hell, i would be happy if there was a way to bypass the infinity amp all together and just run off the deck but i dont think thats possible either!

Any advice on what i should do or how i should wire this sucker in would be very much apreciated.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1167

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, EclipseTenzoR, Jul-06-05 12:58 PM, #1
RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-06-05 02:32 PM, #2
RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, joeck76, Jul-06-05 02:54 PM, #3
      RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-06-05 03:11 PM, #4
           RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, EclipseTenzoR, Jul-06-05 03:38 PM, #5
                RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, MCubed45, Jul-06-05 03:47 PM, #6
                     RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-06-05 03:52 PM, #7
                          RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, joeck76, Jul-06-05 04:26 PM, #8
                               RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, a_miller_76, Jul-07-05 01:51 AM, #9
                                    RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-07-05 08:17 AM, #10
                                         RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-07-05 10:54 AM, #11
                                              RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, joeck76, Jul-07-05 03:50 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-07-05 04:10 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, joeck76, Jul-07-05 05:49 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, MCubed45, Jul-10-05 05:02 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, joeck76, Jul-10-05 06:23 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, a_miller_76, Jul-10-05 04:43 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, ShadowWulf, Jul-10-05 06:56 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!, MCubed45, Jul-11-05 09:27 AM, #19

EclipseTenzoRJul-06-05 12:58 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11261, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-06-05 12:58 PM by EclipseTenzoR

Ok, first off yes only one plug plugs into the headunit harness wise. And the other plug that goes to the amp is the only other plug you need. The additional plug is for the 10 disc cd changer. Do you have that amp plugged in under the seat? Did you check your fuses under the hood? If neither is working I think you should check with dsmmyth, he actually succesfully got the Infinity system working in his car, but with an aftermarket amp. I tried this awhile back but gave up for aftermarket again. Anyways, look over what I said and if that doesnt help PM dsmmyth.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ShadowWulfJul-06-05 02:32 PM
95 posts,
#11262, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-06-05 02:39 PM by ShadowWulf

Ok then, so the single plug into the back of the the deck, then a single plug on the amp. Thats all? the rounded plug on the amp + deck is just for the cd-changer, nothing else?

I have ONE plug in the deck, and ONE in the amp...... (both plugs that are in are SQUARE, not round...)

joeck76Jul-06-05 02:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11263, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 1

i had a factory infinity cd player in my rs a while back, i just pluged everything in theres on cable like said b4 that hooks to the radio and a din cable that runs from thr radio to the amp and the amp plugs in under the seat, only step i see that you left out it the code, if you dont enter the 4 digit security code on the radio it will not power up, you should however get a code reading on the units display. if you checked all fuses and are sure your getting power to the head unit and it still dont work id say your radio is no good, also does that cable for the amp really cost that much?? i have one would even sell for $100 but i wouldnt be able to sleep at night, its a real simple cable, let me know what you come up with

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

ShadowWulfJul-06-05 03:11 PM
95 posts,
#11264, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 3

I double checked all the fuses.....duh...ok so i had a busted 10 amp to the radio....

I replaced it, it immediatly popped upon hooking battery back up and turning the key. Then i decided, "what the hell!" and replaced it again. It promply blew. Now i put (just as a test, not sure of the infinity VS stock power draw) a -30- amp fuse in there. Didnt pop this time, but the radio -still- doesnt popwer up. No code check, nothing.

Are there internal fuses in the deck i could check by chance? Is it possible for the stock radio harness to have a bad ground somewhere? If so where is it grounded (Ugh!).

Sorry for sounding like an idiot. I can build motors but honestly i just suck when it comes to stereo electric work. Again any help is apreciated.

EclipseTenzoRJul-06-05 03:38 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#11265, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 4

You do have the antenna pluged into the headunit rite? I am just going to assume that this headunit still needs to be grounded and it does so through the antenna. So you may want to double check and make sure on that. Pictures help to, but I really dont know what else it could be.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

MCubed45Jul-06-05 03:47 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11266, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-06-05 03:47 PM by MCubed45

idk about the infinity deck but the regular deck grounds through the mounting brackets not the antenna. you gotta actually screw it in. if it's just sitting in the bracket that's a really bad ground it's getting. if you're lazy just clip it or something. but yea the regular deck gets really screwy if it's not grounded. it messes with all the accesory electrical systems also (since a lot of them go through the same harness).

-marc

ShadowWulfJul-06-05 03:52 PM
95 posts,
#11267, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by MCubed45
idk about the infinity deck but the regular deck grounds through the mounting brackets not the antenna. you gotta actually screw it in. if it's just sitting in the bracket that's a really bad ground it's getting. if you're lazy just clip it or something. but yea the regular deck gets really screwy if it's not grounded. it messes with all the accesory electrical systems also (since a lot of them go through the same harness).

Ok, the antena is plugged in (has been for that matter) I was not aware of the bracket grounding though. Ill give that a shot next. Ill proably have to rig something up since the stock brackets are gone when the aftermarket HU was put in there (yes i removed the Aftermarket harness and brackets also before anybody asks lol)

I suppose i can just screw something into the deck itself the ground it to the car.

joeck76Jul-06-05 04:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11268, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 7

the infinity deck grounds through the antenna, you dont need the brackets but i guess it doesnt hurt to try it if i were you id hook the radio up in another ecluipse and see if it even works, sounds to me like the radio might have gotten fried somehow, also you should take that 30a fuse out i have a 10a in mine and it ran the infinity fine if you have a fuse poping chances are something aint right a bigger fuse is just gonna cause a bigger problem, dont need your wires melting, but id say b4 you pull all your hair out and go nutz over this 1st make sure the radio works its really simple to hook up and from what you said so far you should be good to go

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

a_miller_76Jul-07-05 01:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11269, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 8

Take that 30amp fuse out. You have a serious problem with that radio or your wiring. The radio should NEVER draw more than 10 amps. You never want to up the size of your fuse until you find one that works, that's a bad idea.

ShadowWulfJul-07-05 08:17 AM
95 posts,
#11270, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Take that 30amp fuse out. You have a serious problem with that radio or your wiring. The radio should NEVER draw more than 10 amps. You never want to up the size of your fuse until you find one that works, that's a bad idea.

This i know, it was just a temporary experement.

ShadowWulfJul-07-05 10:54 AM
95 posts,
#11271, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 10
Jul-07-05 11:19 AM by ShadowWulf

Ok ig to it working....powers on, called Satan and got the code, which it took no problem. For future refrence for all the searchers to come after me, YOU MUST GROUND THE DECK ITSELF, it does NOT ground through the antena.

However it doesnt make sound now

This is driving me nuts, i must be missing something else now. Theres only ONE line comming off the Infinity amp?! Is that correct, because thats all i have. Also, is the amp grounded through the floor of the car, or the wiring harness?

EDIT: Ok i just hunted down the answer, i need the round DIN cable also. Now i just gotta find one localy.

joeck76Jul-07-05 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11272, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 11

if you cant find one i have one i can sell you, let me know and your right will get no sound unless its hooked up, i learned that one the hard way

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

ShadowWulfJul-07-05 04:10 PM
95 posts,
#11273, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 12

Heh, price on it? I have a DSM meet up on Saturday so ill ask around then, but worst case what do you want for yours?

joeck76Jul-07-05 05:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11274, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 13
Jul-07-05 05:50 PM by joeck76

well hopefully you can find one there save you the trouble if not ill take $20 shipped that should cover shipping charges and put a few extra dollars in my pocket i think thats fair let me know

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

MCubed45Jul-10-05 05:02 AM
2706 posts,
#11275, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 14

ok so now people can stop telling other people it grounds through the antenna and everyone will listen the first time when we say THE RADIO GROUNDS THROUGH THE BRACKETS.

-marc

joeck76Jul-10-05 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#11276, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 15

we could but than theres always that mystery of why some peoples radios work without the brackets or grounding other than the factory hook ups and antenna, like in my car for instance.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

a_miller_76Jul-10-05 04:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11277, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by joeck76
we could but than theres always that mystery of why some peoples radios work without the brackets or grounding other than the factory hook ups and antenna, like in my car for instance.

Yup. There was no wire ground at ALL on my stock radio, period. Nothing to the brackets, nothing coming out of the harness, nothing body grounded...period. Yet it worked.....so explain that one Now the Alpine wouldn't function that way but the stocker did just fine.

ShadowWulfJul-10-05 06:56 PM
95 posts,
#11278, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by joeck76 we could but than theres always that mystery of why some peoples radios work without the brackets or grounding other than the factory hook ups and antenna, like in my car for instance.
Yup. There was no wire ground at ALL on my stock radio, period. Nothing to the brackets, nothing coming out of the harness, nothing body grounded...period. Yet it worked.....so explain that one Now the Alpine wouldn't function that way but the stocker did just fine.

Because the radio is still touching the brackets. That contact is all thats needed for a ground.

MCubed45Jul-11-05 09:27 AM
2706 posts,
#11279, "RE: Stock non-infinity to Stock infinity conversion; help needed!"
In response to Reply # 18
Jul-11-05 09:30 AM by MCubed45

^^^ exactly. it'll work but it's just not a good ground. think long and hard about why the antenna does not make sense for a ground. the radio is not an isolated component. almost ALL of the car accesories run through the same harness and are dependant on the unit being approrpiately grounded.

hint: if the antenna is a ground wire consider the fact that the entire cable is INSULATED from radio to antenna and power antenna units have a separate ground wire.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11260 Previous topic | Next topic