Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11203
View in linear mode

Subject: "Radio randomly powering out?" Previous topic | Next topic
clipse2g95Jun-05-05 07:03 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
167 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11203, "Radio randomly powering out?"

Well I had to send my deck in to get repaired so I just took out all the harnesses and connected my stock radio tape player back into the stock harness. And for some reason when I turn my lights on the radio goes out. And then after a while it'll come back on but just randomly shut on and off. I really hope this wont happen when I get my deck back. What can I do?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Radio randomly powering out?, turbo8u, Jun-07-05 09:55 AM, #1
RE: Radio randomly powering out?, MCubed45, Jun-07-05 01:26 PM, #2
      RE: Radio randomly powering out?, a_miller_76, Jun-07-05 07:30 PM, #3
           RE: Radio randomly powering out?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-08-05 06:55 AM, #5
                RE: Radio randomly powering out?, a_miller_76, Jun-08-05 07:02 AM, #6
RE: Radio randomly powering out?, BDTalon, Jun-08-05 06:01 AM, #4
RE: Radio randomly powering out?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-08-05 07:13 AM, #7
      RE: Radio randomly powering out?, BDTalon, Jun-09-05 06:37 AM, #8
      RE: Radio randomly powering out?, MCubed45, Jun-09-05 08:09 PM, #9
           RE: Radio randomly powering out?, turbo8u, Jun-11-05 01:13 PM, #10
                RE: Radio randomly powering out?, MCubed45, Jun-21-05 06:44 AM, #11

turbo8uJun-07-05 09:55 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11210, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 0

rewire it and make sure the ground is properly secured, my car was doing the same thing. i wired the headunits ground right to the chasis and all was well.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Jun-07-05 01:26 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11212, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 1

btw the stock radio doesn't have a ground WIRE. it's grounded through the frame so make sure the metal mounting brackets are securely mounted to the chasis. i halfway installed my stock radio once when i was in the middle of doing something and had to drive somewhere and the electronics were really screwy the whole time. a lot of the accesories are connected to that harness for the radio and if the radio isn't grounded it screws up the other electrical systems as well.

-marc

a_miller_76Jun-07-05 07:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11213, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 2

Actually it grounds through the antenna.

TeamXtremeRSJun-08-05 06:55 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#11215, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Actually it grounds through the antenna.

Actually it doesn't..The wiring schematics show it grounds though the radio chassis. Antenna's dont make good grounds at all. Now if you have a bad main ground at the radio, it may try and *pull* a ground through the antenna, but it's not supposed to ground through it.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

a_miller_76Jun-08-05 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11216, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 5

There is a ground out to the radio chassis, but where does the radio chassis hook into the ground system of the car? All 4 tabs you screw it into are all plastic, not metal and not attached to the metal body of the vehicle. If you get a high end radio like an Alpine or such you have to body ground the radio because the chassis ground does not work and they won't even turn on without the radio being attached, hence why they ground through the antenna. I'm not saying it's a good thing, just making a point.

BDTalonJun-08-05 06:01 AM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
153 posts,
#11214, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had this same problem, i had a bent prong in my wireing harness, it was of coarse the power wire, bent it back into place, secured it with some silicone and now its good as new!

TeamXtremeRSJun-08-05 07:13 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#11217, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-08-05 07:20 AM by XtremeRS

The radio mounting bracket on my 98RS is metal...

Actually I just checked, and most of the radio mount is plastic, but on the driver side, is a metal mounting bracket that extends to the radio mounting bracket. So when you screw in the radio,it gets it ground from that driver side bracket. And that bracket is grounded to the chassis.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

BDTalonJun-09-05 06:37 AM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
153 posts,
#11218, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, thats where i grounded my aftermarket radio.

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
AAHHHHHH it's the Bomex table top and bench deluxe! Get the holy wrench we need to purify..

MCubed45Jun-09-05 08:09 PM
2706 posts,
#11220, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by XtremeRS
The radio mounting bracket on my 98RS is metal... Actually I just checked, and most of the radio mount is plastic, but on the driver side, is a metal mounting bracket that extends to the radio mounting bracket. So when you screw in the radio,it gets it ground from that driver side bracket. And that bracket is grounded to the chassis.

ditto. if you think our stock radio grounds through the antenna then unplug the antenna and remount the stereo. then turn the power on. your reception will suck but your radio will work. on my 95rs the ground is definatly through the mounting brackets as i have experimented with this first hand.

-marc

turbo8uJun-11-05 01:13 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#11226, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 9

aftermarket radio will normally have an actual ground wire.

who uses the stock shit anymore?

MCubed45Jun-21-05 06:44 AM
2706 posts,
#11245, "RE: Radio randomly powering out?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by turbo8u
who uses the stock shit anymore?

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

AND IT SUCKS!!!

lol somethin else always breaks when i get ready to invest in a nice system... actually i've been holding off until a nice ipod solution comes up. the alpine and pioneer interfaces haven't been that promising. none of the brands i want are icelink compatible either

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11203 Previous topic | Next topic