Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11162
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rockford Crimp Ring Question" Previous topic | Next topic
HeDogMay-29-05 02:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11162, "Rockford Crimp Ring Question"

I'm updating my power distribution from my battery & I picked up a pair of RF 4 gauge crimp rings(model RP6164). When I saw that they were crimp rings I thought that they were split where the wire goes into the ring so all I would have to do is "crimp" the thing. Well these things don't have the split, and are too thick to actually crimp. So what do I do, solder the 4 gauge wire into the ring?

Here's picture of 'em.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=879

HeDog

'95 Eclipse GS/Turboed

HRC Stage II with FMIC.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, BumpinTalon, May-30-05 04:26 AM, #1
RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, Moderatorsd_eclipse, May-31-05 06:42 AM, #2
RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, a_miller_76, May-31-05 06:48 AM, #3
      RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, Pitchblack98, May-31-05 02:58 PM, #4
           RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, SILVERNT, May-31-05 06:25 PM, #5
                RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-31-05 06:32 PM, #6
                     RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, a_miller_76, Jun-01-05 03:18 AM, #7
                          RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, SILVERNT, Jun-01-05 05:58 AM, #8
                               RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, a_miller_76, Jun-01-05 07:43 AM, #9
                                    RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-01-05 11:14 AM, #10
                                         RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question, HeDog, Jun-04-05 08:44 AM, #11

BumpinTalonMay-30-05 04:26 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11166, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 0

you have to solder those ones... a total pain in the ass imo, I had those terminals in my last system and I am never messing with them again.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorsd_eclipseMay-31-05 06:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#11172, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 0

They make tools to crimp large gauge connectors like those but they tend to cost an arm and a leg.

I'd just ditch em and get the ones with the hex screw in the middle. Similar to these(if the pic works)

a_miller_76May-31-05 06:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11173, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by sd_eclipse
They make tools to crimp large gauge connectors like those but they tend to cost an arm and a leg. I'd just ditch em and get the ones with the hex screw in the middle. Similar to these(if the pic works)

Agreed. Don't try to solder bare wire to a solid copper connector.

Pitchblack98May-31-05 02:58 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#11174, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Heres an easy fix for you... Strip the wire where it goes all the way into the connector. Put it down on some concrete and hammer it with a normal nail hammer until its completly flat. Then flip it over and hammer on the other side. Thats how Ive always done mine and I have never had a problem with them.

SILVERNTMay-31-05 06:25 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#11175, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Pitchblack98
Heres an easy fix for you... Strip the wire where it goes all the way into the connector. Put it down on some concrete and hammer it with a normal nail hammer until its completly flat. Then flip it over and hammer on the other side. Thats how Ive always done mine and I have never had a problem with them.

or use a bench-vise, thats what i did for my battery relo

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-31-05 06:32 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#11176, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 5

soldering those things is easy. Miller i have no idea why you dont like solding wire to copper it works easy.

Put the ring terminal in a vise upside down so it id like a cup. hea the terminal with a propane torch or a "Blazer" (alum blazing torch). when it reaches the right temp start adding solder to the wire cup and fill it 3/4 of the way. Next take your stripped wire and carefully put it into the terminal. withthe heat still on the terminal take the solder and tin any stripped wire that is exposed. Let cool and heat shrink.

Or be a choad and smash it. the crimper for these terminals is only 30.00 at ace hardware. Look by the welding equipment.

Terry

a_miller_76Jun-01-05 03:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11177, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
soldering those things is easy. Miller i have no idea why you dont like solding wire to copper it works easy. Put the ring terminal in a vise upside down so it id like a cup. hea the terminal with a propane torch or a "Blazer" (alum blazing torch). when it reaches the right temp start adding solder to the wire cup and fill it 3/4 of the way. Next take your stripped wire and carefully put it into the terminal. withthe heat still on the terminal take the solder and tin any stripped wire that is exposed. Let cool and heat shrink. Or be a choad and smash it. the crimper for these terminals is only 30.00 at ace hardware. Look by the welding equipment. Terry

Because those:

1. Look better.
2. Work just as well.
3. Take 2 minutes to put on.

SILVERNTJun-01-05 05:58 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#11178, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon soldering those things is easy. Miller i have no idea why you dont like solding wire to copper it works easy. Put the ring terminal in a vise upside down so it id like a cup. hea the terminal with a propane torch or a "Blazer" (alum blazing torch). when it reaches the right temp start adding solder to the wire cup and fill it 3/4 of the way. Next take your stripped wire and carefully put it into the terminal. withthe heat still on the terminal take the solder and tin any stripped wire that is exposed. Let cool and heat shrink. Or be a choad and smash it. the crimper for these terminals is only 30.00 at ace hardware. Look by the welding equipment. Terry
Because those: 1. Look better. 2. Work just as well. 3. Take 2 minutes to put on.

youre also paying $10-15 each compared to $1

a_miller_76Jun-01-05 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11179, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 8

If you don't care what it looks like then use the $1 crimp connectors. I personally hate them and would rather buy the expensive ones. Just a personal opinion.

Ducking_FumbassJun-01-05 11:14 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#11180, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 9

Reminds me of the time I wired my sub with solder and a blowtorch...

HeDogJun-04-05 08:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#11200, "RE: Rockford Crimp Ring Question"
In response to Reply # 10

I ended up using a dremel cutting wheel. I cut the connector such that it became a crimpable connector. I may solder it later since it's one of the power cables for the car.

Thanks for the help guys.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=879

HeDog

'95 Eclipse GS/Turboed

HRC Stage II with FMIC.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11162 Previous topic | Next topic