Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11124
View in linear mode

Subject: "security systems (DEI products)" Previous topic | Next topic
coppereclipse95May-18-05 10:09 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11124, "security systems (DEI products)"

I currently have the Hornet security system on my car. Every now and then (at least once a day that I know of), my warning goes off. It's just the 3 quick beeps, but it's really getting old and I don't like it going off randomly. The shock sensor is almost to low on the sensitivity. Even with no wind, no car, nobody around the car... it still does the warning thing. So I started to believe it's doing it because it's the cheap model.

QUESTION: Does the viper or clifford (expensive) one work better than the Hornet (cheap) one? What the difference in system/quality? Or is the warning thing going off due to something else? Any ideas or suggestions? I'm also looking at the piezo siren(pain generator), is that a good investment? Do you think it's ok to hook up two of them? TIA

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: security systems (DEI products), a_miller_76, May-18-05 10:56 AM, #1
RE: security systems (DEI products), Pitchblack98, May-18-05 12:10 PM, #2
      RE: security systems (DEI products), MCubed45, May-18-05 02:50 PM, #3
           RE: security systems (DEI products), coppereclipse95, May-23-05 04:39 AM, #4
           RE: security systems (DEI products), a_miller_76, May-23-05 05:47 AM, #5
                RE: security systems (DEI products), MCubed45, May-23-05 08:04 AM, #6
RE: security systems (DEI products), InFiNiT3, Jun-03-05 09:13 AM, #7
RE: security systems (DEI products), TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-05 09:20 AM, #8
      RE: security systems (DEI products), coppereclipse95, Jun-09-05 04:19 PM, #9

a_miller_76May-18-05 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11125, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 0

Clifford sucks. Vipers are a far cry from Hornet. DEI came out with the Hornet series alarms to compete with the Bulldogs and other cheap ass alarms out there. Go with a Viper, they are much better.

And your alarm going off like that is probably due to age.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Pitchblack98May-18-05 12:10 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#11126, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the clifford Matrix 2.5x and the Viper 800esp. I like the clifford much better than the viper. The clifford has never gone off just randomly where my viper does every not and then. Ive had the clifford for about a year and the viper for about 5 years in multiple cars. I like them both, just have had less problems out of the clifford. Either way they are both great alarms.

MCubed45May-18-05 02:50 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11127, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 2

umm sensors and alarm brains are two separate things. it could just be a faulty sensor. are you sure it's the shock sensor that's giving the false trigger? certain models will tell you which 'zone' is being triggered.

-marc

coppereclipse95May-23-05 04:39 AM
1068 posts,
#11138, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 3

So, age makes security stuff go bad? I had my system in for about 3 years now. Are they all compatible? Like can I just swap out the brain for my Hornet with Viper or something?

1995 Eclipse RS

a_miller_76May-23-05 05:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11139, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by MCubed45
umm sensors and alarm brains are two separate things. it could just be a faulty sensor. are you sure it's the shock sensor that's giving the false trigger? certain models will tell you which 'zone' is being triggered.

Hornets are an "all in 1" unit, not like Vipers which are expandable.

And no you can't swap a Hornet for a Viper brain.

MCubed45May-23-05 08:04 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11140, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by MCubed45 umm sensors and alarm brains are two separate things. it could just be a faulty sensor. are you sure it's the shock sensor that's giving the false trigger? certain models will tell you which 'zone' is being triggered.
Hornets are an "all in 1" unit, not like Vipers which are expandable. And no you can't swap a Hornet for a Viper brain.

oh wow. my bad... i never really looked at a hornet unit before. haha wow that's really low end. kinda hard to conceal the brain when you're tryna place it where the sensors work best.

-marc

InFiNiT3Jun-03-05 09:13 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#11196, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 0

lol its better than the 700$ unit we sell at the dealer lol fucking audiovox pos's

02:19:18pm DarkOne> They'd have had to brought a whole fucking JUG of KY.
02:19:28pm InFiNiT3> lol no shit
02:19:39pm DarkOne> and a funnel.
02:19:45pm grain> have to get the ky with warming
02:20:00pm InFiNiT3> i feel sorry for the 18 y/o (one was 17 one 18) his name was plaster'd all over the news n news paper
02:20:06pm DarkOne> Yeah, has to be warming.
02:20:06pm BuckNutty> jus spit on it and it'll go in
02:20:17pm InFiNiT3> aye the ky w/ warming any good>
02:20:45pm grain> never tryed it
02:20:50pm grain> i applyed for a sample on thier website
02:20:56pm BuckNutty> evan didn't complain any
02:20:56pm BuckNutty> it felt nice
02:20:57pm InFiNiT3> lol
02:21:01pm grain> i use id glide whne she dries
02:21:06pm grain> good stuff
02:21:45pm InFiNiT3> thnx for the new sig guys
02:21:45pm DarkOne> Are we still talking about fucking dead chicks?

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-05 09:20 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#11201, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 7

What sensors do you have on the alarm? If it's the Hornet model, it prob has the on board shock sensor..which are not bad, but limits the install on where you can mount the brain. Be sure the brain is mounted to a solid, sturdy piece of the car. I find that the steering column is the best place..that's what sucks about onboard shock sensors, it puts the brain more accessable. Also, all DEI stuff is pretty much the same from model to model, others are more expensive because they include more features, better range, ect..but all the electronics themselves are identical between models. DEI has also been making the "clifford" line for like 3-4 years now, sice DEI bought them out that long ago. If you are not happy with that alarm, maybe find a model that has a externally mounted shock sensor, and one with more options/features that suits your needs. And remember, an alarm is only as good as the installation!

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

coppereclipse95Jun-09-05 04:19 PM
1068 posts,
#11219, "RE: security systems (DEI products)"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by XtremeRS
What sensors do you have on the alarm? If it's the Hornet model, it prob has the on board shock sensor..which are not bad, but limits the install on where you can mount the brain. Be sure the brain is mounted to a solid, sturdy piece of the car. I find that the steering column is the best place..that's what sucks about onboard shock sensors, it puts the brain more accessable. Also, all DEI stuff is pretty much the same from model to model, others are more expensive because they include more features, better range, ect..but all the electronics themselves are identical between models. DEI has also been making the "clifford" line for like 3-4 years now, sice DEI bought them out that long ago. If you are not happy with that alarm, maybe find a model that has a externally mounted shock sensor, and one with more options/features that suits your needs. And remember, an alarm is only as good as the installation!

My shock sensor is external.

1995 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11124 Previous topic | Next topic