Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10985
View in linear mode

Subject: "Frequency Noises From 6X9's" Previous topic | Next topic
clipse2g95May-01-05 10:24 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
167 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10985, "Frequency Noises From 6X9's"

I just installed some new 6X9 speakers to replace the factory ones in the back seat. I have a little 200W amp hooked up to them. The ground, power, and reciever hooked up to my other amp which goes to power subs. When I turn the speakers on there is a are loud medium frequency sound coming from them. Its really loud and cant be ignored so I have no idea what to do. TIA

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, a_miller_76, May-01-05 11:21 AM, #1
RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, clipse2g95, May-01-05 05:21 PM, #2
      RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, a_miller_76, May-01-05 05:28 PM, #3
           RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, kain_99gs, May-01-05 05:38 PM, #4
                RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, a_miller_76, May-01-05 06:02 PM, #5
                     RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, SPL_Eclipse, May-01-05 06:58 PM, #6
                          RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, clipse2g95, May-02-05 04:46 AM, #7
                               RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, a_miller_76, May-02-05 04:53 AM, #8
                                    RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, clipse2g95, May-02-05 11:20 AM, #9
RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, clipse2g95, May-03-05 11:55 AM, #10
RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, SPL_Eclipse, May-03-05 06:08 PM, #11
      RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, clipse2g95, May-04-05 04:52 AM, #12
           RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's, a_miller_76, May-04-05 05:06 AM, #13

a_miller_76May-01-05 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10986, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 0

Wait, you have your ground and power "hooked up to" another amp? Explain that.

You have a ground loop is what you have. I bet when you hit the gas the frequency goes up doesn't it?

Don't ever jump power or ground from one amp to another. Run a power block splitter and ground the amp to the body of the car, not back to another amp.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

clipse2g95May-01-05 05:21 PM
167 posts,
#10987, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok, well I have my amp that powers the subs all hooked up right and it works just fine. So where the slot is for ground I just ran a wire from that amp to the little one. The same for the power, so there is only one wire going up to the battery. I take it that is the incorrect way to do it. How exactly should I proceed in getting rid of this frequency noise? And yes it does increase when i give it gas. Thanks for your advise so far, i'm sure it'll help!!

a_miller_76May-01-05 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10988, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 2

Well first of all that is the WRONG way to hook up an amp. Ground the amp to the body, not back to the other amp. Secondly put a power distribution block in front of your sub amp and run 2 power lines from it. One to the sub amp and the other to your 6x9 amp. Third make sure your RCA cables from your head unit aren't running parrallel with your power cables and definatly not touching anywhere. You should get triple shielded cables and get them long enough that you can run them through your car like a snake, not just in a straight line.

kain_99gsMay-01-05 05:38 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#10989, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 3

If you still have the noise you can pick up a ground loop isolator for VERY cheap. I had to do this with my mom's 4-runner a couple years back. Even after re-wiring everything.

a_miller_76May-01-05 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10990, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 4

Ground loop isolators are like bandaids. They cover the wound but don't cure it. Try everything you can before you resort to that.

SPL_EclipseMay-01-05 06:58 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#10991, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 5

"You have a ground loop is what you have"
-brought to you by the department of redundancy department. (lol, j/k aaron).

aaron is exactly right. ground the new amp to a clean, paint free mounting point...not to the other amp. right now, theres a massive resistance placed on the new amps ground, as it has to travel through all of the other amps "internals" to reach a ground point. because of this excessive load, the amp looks for other ways to ground, and it sees the signal ground as a good place. in doing so, it modulates the audio signal based on voltage changes in the ground (due to the minor, but important, voltage corrilation to the RPM).

on a side note, PLEASE make sure you fuse all power wires. "piggybacking" power wires is a bad idea.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

clipse2g95May-02-05 04:46 AM
167 posts,
#10993, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok, so then do I need to run two separate wires (one from each amp) to the battery or is that what the distribution block will do?? And what size wiring should I use to for the new ground and power from the smaller amp. Is 8g to big?? Thanks!

a_miller_76May-02-05 04:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10994, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by clipse2g95
Ok, so then do I need to run two separate wires (one from each amp) to the battery or is that what the distribution block will do?? And what size wiring should I use to for the new ground and power from the smaller amp. Is 8g to big?? Thanks!

8ga is the smallest power wire you should EVER use for anything. And your ground should 100% of the time be the exact same size. Run a 4ga power cable from your battery back to where your amps are, then use a 4ga to dual 8ga splitter to your amps, then make two seperate and clean body grounds for your amps.

Also make sure y our 4ga is fused. 60amp should be fine.

clipse2g95May-02-05 11:20 AM
167 posts,
#10995, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok, well I actually have 8g wiring coming from my battery (only two memphis 10's with a 600w crossfire amp), so I have a distribution block with 4g in and dual 8g out. I got it for free so I was wondering if that will work if I just put the 8g in the 4g spot. I dont see why it wouldnt work. ALSO, where should I have the Rem go on the little amp????!!!! Can i just split the Rem wire going to the big amp and just add wiring in to the little amp or how should I go about connecting that all up??? Reminder there is no more spaces in the back of my deck to plug anything into. And is RCA the same thing as Rem???

clipse2g95May-03-05 11:55 AM
167 posts,
#11006, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I did some research and people and shops all had mixed answers between a ground loop isolator or a splitter for the RCA's. I only have one pair of RCA outputs from my deck so I just have those into the bigger amp. Then I have the high output from little amp connected to the 6X9's. So what route should I go toward first? Ground loop isolator, RCA splitter, or another solution?? About how much do each of these cost? TIA

SPL_EclipseMay-03-05 06:08 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11008, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 10

seems like youre talking about a lot of different things here, so ill cover all of it.

SIGNAL SOURCE:

the audio signal (the "music") is carried via RCA cables from your deck to the amplifier. RCA cables have a protruding center piece surrounded by a circular ground. they come in pairs as (most) audio is in stereo (one right and one left channel). if your headunit has only one set of RCA outputs, its OK to use an RCA splitter to deliver the signal to two amps. you can pick those up at any electronics shop.

REMOTE (REM) WIRE:

the remote wire is used to tell the amps when to turn on. a small (12v, around .1-.25amp) signal is sent through this wire to activate a relay inside the amplifier(s) to allow power from the main connections to the battery and ground to flow. although typically not fused, its a good idea to put a small (1amp) fuse inline with this wire as close to the headunit as possible.

---------side note--------
assuming that the remote wire remains the same guage throughout the install, its ok to "piggyback" it from amp to amp. however...if you keep adding amplifiers the remote wire might not be able to activate all of them due to the relitivly small signal it sends. in that case, you will need to add a relay and a bit of extra wiring to compensate. with only two amps, thats of no real concern to you at all.
--------------------------

POWER WIRE:

as aaron mentioned, you should never really go lower than an 8ga (guage) main wire. in your case, a 4ga would work well from the battery (fused at the battery with a 60-100amp fuse) to a distrobution block. at the distrobution block, you have a few choices. as mentioned earlier, theres no need to add any fusing if the guage remains the same throughout the electrical path. assuming you wanted to split the (main) 4ga wire via a distrobution block to two(2) seperate 4ga wires (one for each amp), you would not need to add any extra fuses. you could simply use a non-fused distrobution block. however, if you were to run the (main) 4ga wire to a distrobution block where it split into two(2) 8ga wires, you would need to fuse each of the 8ga wires with 40amp fuses before connecting them to each amp.

for more detailed info, visit http://www.bcae1.com/ and click on the "fuses" section, loced at around 1/5th of the way down on the right side of the screen.

GROUNDS:

grounding is a hugly overignored problem in most car audio systems, but is very important. the ground is in a way the "valve" to let electrons flow through the amplification "parts" of the amplifier. imagine an amplifier as a garden hose, with the spicket being the power source, and the tip of the hose as the ground. as power (water) flows through the amp (hose), it fights against the resistence of the walls of the hose (or wire) and flows easily though it...assuming there are no blockages. however...if you place resistance (a thumb) over the end of the hose, the power (water) goes everywhere in search of a way to "get out". you always want to have the electrons (water) flowing as smoothly as possible.

to do so, you need to make sure the ground wire is at least the same size as the power wire connected to the amp, and that the ground is connected securly to a clean and unpainted piece of metal that attaches to the frame (or anywhere where theres a low resistence to make a ground connection back to the battery).

once again, for more detailed info, visit http://www.bcae1.com/ and click on the link entitled "vehical chassis ground", which is around 1/2 way down the right side menu.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

clipse2g95May-04-05 04:52 AM
167 posts,
#11010, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 11

Wow, thanks alot man. That really clears up a lot for me. Just a couple more questions...I just bought a ground loop isolator last night, and plan on putting it in tonight. Should I keep that and try it out or just return it and get an RCA splitter. And then I have two separate grounds for the two amps in the back, should I ground those in the exact same place? Right now they are just at opposite sides of the car on the frame below the seat.

a_miller_76May-04-05 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11011, "RE: Frequency Noises From 6X9's"
In response to Reply # 12

Put the isolator in front of the splitter. High level input sucks ass. Use the RCA splitter. And please tell me you went out and got shielded RCA cables. I hope you're not using those black with red and white ended things you can buy from Radio Shack....bleh.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10985 Previous topic | Next topic