Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10816
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Apr-04-05 12:03 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10816, "Poll question: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"

like the title says, do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's for the rear of our cars?

i've currently got blown out stock 6.5's in my car so i can't say much for the quality of those. i know we can use either 6.5 or 6x9 aftermarkets speakers for the rear of our car. i was wondering if any of you guys had expereience with both types and had a preference. i talked to some of my other friends that're into car audio and they said they preferred the sounds of 6.5's over 6.9's. something about how the non-circular shape of the 6x9's doesn't sound as good. i know the greater surface area of a 6x9 gives it a slightly lower range but based on the specs of speakers i've looked at, it's usually a fairly small difference when compared to a 6.5 of the same line.

so yea, which do you guys prefer?

Poll result (14 votes)
6x9 (4 votes)Vote
6.5 (10 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, satal95, Apr-04-05 12:35 PM, #1
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, a_miller_76, Apr-04-05 12:58 PM, #2
      RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, MCubed45, Apr-06-05 12:18 PM, #3
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, tomatot, Apr-11-05 09:03 AM, #4
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, MCubed45, Apr-12-05 12:00 PM, #5
      RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, tomatot, Apr-12-05 06:35 PM, #6
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, Vandy420a, Apr-14-05 01:28 AM, #7
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, Sorry_i_Win, Apr-21-05 09:18 AM, #8
      RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, kain_99gs, Apr-21-05 06:39 PM, #9
      RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, Brood, Jul-28-05 09:34 AM, #13
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, VOTBLINDUB, May-05-05 08:34 AM, #10
RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, pr0, May-15-05 05:59 PM, #11
      RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, ShadowWulf, May-16-05 10:04 PM, #12
           RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, VOTBLINDUB, Jul-29-05 03:10 PM, #14
                RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, a_miller_76, Jul-29-05 03:19 PM, #15
                     RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, SPL_Eclipse, Jul-29-05 09:49 PM, #16
                          RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, MCubed45, Aug-01-05 01:36 PM, #17
                               RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?, ajcfalcon, Aug-03-05 12:20 PM, #18
                                    Please help... anyone?, ajcfalcon, Aug-03-05 03:25 PM, #19
                                         RE: Please help... anyone?, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-03-05 09:09 PM, #20
                                              RE: Please help... anyone?, ajcfalcon, Aug-04-05 04:29 AM, #21
                                                   RE: Please help... anyone?, ajcfalcon, Aug-04-05 05:41 AM, #22
                                                        RE: Please help... anyone?, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-05-05 06:46 AM, #23
                                                             RE: Please help... anyone?, VOTBLINDUB, Aug-09-05 08:51 AM, #24

satal95Apr-04-05 12:35 PM
Member since Aug 04th 2003
351 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10817, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-04-05 12:36 PM by satal95

I have 6x9's in my car and they sound pretty good. so i guess i'll go with 6x9's

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

a_miller_76Apr-04-05 12:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10818, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 1

6.5's for quality, 6x9's for quantity. Quality is always better.

MCubed45Apr-06-05 12:18 PM
2706 posts,
#10854, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 2

bump

-marc

tomatotApr-11-05 09:03 AM
Member since Sep 24th 2003
198 posts,
#10873, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 0

But, will it look different from a view outside th grill?

And, one more questions, I saw some speakers with some nice grill.... can we remove our stock grill?

thanks!

MCubed45Apr-12-05 12:00 PM
2706 posts,
#10879, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-12-05 12:02 PM by MCubed45

you can't see much through the grill. but then i have stock black speakers too. if you have something flashy it might show more. i doubt it'd be that noticeable. you can probably take off the stock grill if you really wanted to but i think you'd hafta modify a lot to make it look nice with the aftermarket grills. think about how the back seat of our cars is constructed. the panel covering the speaker comes off and the speaker is bolted to the frame of the car. aftermarket speaker grills are usually made for surface mounting like on the rear deck of a car. you would either need to mount the speaker to the ;anel (not a good idea) or find a way to spearately mount the grill on the panel. that particular panel is very curvy (as is the stock grill) so it would probably be difficult to mount an aftermarket grill without modification.

-marc

tomatotApr-12-05 06:35 PM
Member since Sep 24th 2003
198 posts,
#10883, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 5

ic... thanks a lot !

Vandy420aApr-14-05 01:28 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#10895, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 0

6.5's---but get a sub if you don't already have one...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Sorry_i_WinApr-21-05 09:18 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#10926, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 7

if u have a sub, definitely go with a 6.5"

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

kain_99gsApr-21-05 06:39 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#10929, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 8

I can see my speakers pretty well. they aren't the factory black though. I also painted the back grills black to match other trim in my car. I agree that it would take quite a bit to make it look good with those aftermarket grills so unless you REALLY want them showing, just use stock

BroodJul-28-05 09:34 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2005
1 posts,
#11341, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 8

Definately 6.5. I'll be putting them in my car tonight actually. And they are great company to a sub =)

VOTBLINDUBMay-05-05 08:34 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#11016, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 0

you cannot beat a round speaker for mids, or just overall

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

pr0May-15-05 05:59 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#11103, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 10

Not all 6x9's fit. Heck, my Alpine Type-R 5x1/4s barely fit. I had to use really long screws.

ShadowWulfMay-16-05 10:04 PM
Member since Jan 24th 2005
95 posts,
#11122, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 11

My ECLIPSE 6x9's fit after i cut the mount....AND slammed my wheel well with a hammer a few times.

But i made that biatch fit! (and it sounds awesome as well)

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1167

VOTBLINDUBJul-29-05 03:10 PM
403 posts,
#11347, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 12

6x9 is a retaded size, nothing beats round drivers. i dont even run rears, theyre pointless. im competing in SQ and i got 2nd place with no sub. so im speakin from experience, use round ones

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

a_miller_76Jul-29-05 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11351, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by VOTBLINDUB
6x9 is a retaded size, nothing beats round drivers. i dont even run rears, theyre pointless. im competing in SQ and i got 2nd place with no sub. so im speakin from experience, use round ones

When I did that I ran a low wattage, 1500-10khz, mono.

SPL_EclipseJul-29-05 09:49 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11353, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 15

1) this thread is freakin old. just thought id point that out, its not neccisarily a bad thing.

2) ive heard really shitty 6.5" drivers and really awesome 6x9 drivers (the old CV vegas come to mind). you cant catigorize products on dimention alone. find a product you like and work it into the install.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

MCubed45Aug-01-05 01:36 PM
2706 posts,
#11357, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse
ive heard really shitty 6.5" drivers and really awesome 6x9 drivers (the old CV vegas come to mind). you cant catigorize products on dimention alone.

well actually the discussion is on 6x9's vs 6.5's of the SAME LINE. not a crappy 6.5 vs a high end 6x9 or vice versa. i was asking for peoples input on whether the extended bottom end of a 6x9 was worth it when compared to a 6.5 of the same line. i haven't personally had the oppurtunity to compare. most companies make both and we have the option of using either so i was just looking for input.

-marc

ajcfalconAug-03-05 12:20 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
1104 posts,
#11362, "RE: Do you guys prefer 6x9's or 6.5's in the rear?"
In response to Reply # 17
Aug-03-05 01:16 PM by ajcfalcon

After running through the searches... im even more confused. I didnt see one single thread that had a definite answer because the thread below it contradicted the one above it....

How do i find out what size speakers i have??? I bought the car used and it came with some shitty ass sony xplodes in the back that i replaced with pioneer 6x9's that are way too friggin big. According to this thread, 6.5's will fit, however in the search i read that "some" of the models come with a 5.25 front.... some say 6.5.

I want to put 6.5's in the front AND the rear... is this possible no matter what or do i need to figure out which speakers came with the car(no idea how im going to do that)?

My question is, if i buy the 6.5's will the holes line up? This is so frustrating!

i thought i would ask here instead of starting a new thread... i dont know how old this is.

I want to put these in the front and rear: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4075_189562749,00.html

The questions is.... can i?

ajcfalconAug-03-05 03:25 PM
1104 posts,
#11366, "Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 18

can anyone help me?

SPL_EclipseAug-03-05 09:09 PM
5921 posts,
#11368, "RE: Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 19

"well actually the discussion is on 6x9's vs 6.5's of the SAME LINE. not a crappy 6.5 vs a high end 6x9 or vice versa."

then you should have stated that from the beginning. even so, it really depends on the product, even if its from the same manufacturer. and more importantly...the install makes a huge difference. if you find a great sounding 6x9 that fits your pod perfectly, you are golden. thats much better than a great sounding 6.5" that you cant completely seal or dont have the tools (or time) to create a good enclosure for.

to aj: i belive the front speakers are "oversized" 6.5", so most regular 6.5"s will have fitament issues. this can be overcome by creating a simple baffle...just trace the outline of the stock speaker pod, trace the outline of the inner dimentions of your new speaker, cut it all out and slap it into place. depending on the depth of the speaker, you may need to create some shims or use a thick material to construct the baffles. i used 1/2" MDF on my DEI midbass drivers (very small) and still had around 1.5" of room in the back before the windows. if you use the supplied speaker grills, you can push the spakers (with the grills of course) up against the door panels w/ no problem. it may not be cosmetically pleasing, but it will work.

for the rear speakers...is it just a myth that some RS' have 6.5"s in the back? ive never seen one. in case you have that, the same rules apply as what i said above, although im pretty sure your local car audio store will have a 6x9" to 6.5" adapter plate if you dont want to do any work.either way, just make sure the speaker is sealed SOLIDLY to its mating surface and isolate the rear waves from the fronts as best you can.

ajcfalconAug-04-05 04:29 AM
1104 posts,
#11369, "RE: Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 20

so i DO have a 6x9 in the rear? because i bought some pioneer 6x9's for back there and they are being held on by 1 screw because they are too damn big.... maybe they are just too deep????????

I will buy the adapter plate if that is what it will take, im just tired of messing with it and its honestly not that important compared to other things i need to do around the car so im not gonna do any modifying. i just want to buy some speakers that will fit... lol.

Thanks for the comment though, i may get that adapter plate. Now... what size pods are in the front?

ajcfalconAug-04-05 05:41 AM
1104 posts,
#11370, "RE: Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 21

Is this what im looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6x9-Speaker-adapter-plates-4-Honda-Civic-Accord-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38646QQitemZ7990482895QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

SPL_EclipseAug-05-05 06:46 AM
5921 posts,
#11379, "RE: Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 22

it -looks- like those should fit, but i cant verify because i havent had an eclipse for around a year or so, lol. if you have a dremmel, it is a snap to trim down the plastic a bit if there are fitament issues.

VOTBLINDUBAug-09-05 08:51 AM
403 posts,
#11405, "RE: Please help... anyone?"
In response to Reply # 23

look, if you want to put something for rear fill, use round drivers. get urself some shallow depth 8s. like the new jl w1 series speakers. theyll give u a great boost in midbass and some bass. dont expect it to sound like theres a massive array of subs in the car, but you will notice a difference. also try to make enclosures for them. use fiberglass, try to fit in a basketball's amount of air in therm. shape doesnt really matter, theres enough room in the back there for it. you also want to make sure that ur crossovers are set properly for those 8s, leave it all on midbass, cut out all the other frq's. there really is no need for rear fill, ppl just do it to make it sound like theres more sound coming out if they lack the power. if you have a good set of components upfront that are properly done, aimed and time corrected, there will be no need for rear fill if you sit those on a good solid amp. in my car it seems like the sound comes from all directions, and the voice comes from the center. if u want i can scan my sheet from this past sunday, the 7th. i got 2nd place for SQ. i can post photos of my audio setup if anyone calls bullshit. if you run your speakers from just the deck, its ok to run rear fill, the deck doesnt provide all that much power to start with and a typical deck only puts out 1.5-2 volts RMS. the one i use puts out 8v rms so i dont have a problem. if you dont want to splurge a lot of money on a high end deck, spend about 200 bucks on a matrix 6 channel line driver, they have a built in eq and prolly a crossover that has a much better range that the deck u use. itll up the voltage on the signals to ur speakers and sub/subs at the same time if u have a sub/subs. itll give you a much cleaner more powerfull signal with a better signal/noise ratio. youll notice a huge improvement in sound quality if you do that. having a nice solid amp also wont hurt you. just stay away from stuff like pyle or lanzar or boss. they write numbers that you will never get out of their amps. with a speaker amp $1.15 per watt is a good range. go with a proven name in amps. im using an MB Quart amp, which sounds absolutely amazing, i would definitely recomend it. the one drawback is the price. not everyone will want to pay that much for just a 4 channel amp unless they are planning to compete. also keep in mind that if you have a weak headunit to start with, theres no point in buying an expensive amp and speakers, itll still sound bad because the signal comin out the headunit will be crappy to start with so nothing will come of that.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10816 Previous topic | Next topic