Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10529
View in linear mode

Subject: "Carputer folks" Previous topic | Next topic
scothernFeb-18-05 04:51 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2002
998 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10529, "Carputer folks"

What are you using for a power supply? I want to use my current P3 computer and I do not want to buy a new Via whatever it is system. What are you guys using and how do you control you power?

Also what are you using for a video screen? I cant seem to find them for under 4300 and I don't want to spend that much. How are you hooking up your sound? Are you using amps? How are you controling these? I want almost automatic power on and no switches. I ahve been reading carmp3.com but thought I would ask here for those who have this set-u
I have the following

ATX mother board, P3 1GHZ CPU
20GB HDD (3.5" desktop drive)
Sound blaster live platinum 5.1 digital PCI sound card
Ati Rage Fury 128 32MB 3D card with RCA and S-Video out/ or a RADEON 64 64MB card with VGA only out. Both AGP 4X

I also have a 300watt inverter.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

99 Eclipse RS

"Can't we all just hit a Bong"?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Carputer folks, djtrickee, Feb-18-05 10:47 AM, #1
RE: Carputer folks, siueclipse, Feb-19-05 08:21 AM, #2
RE: Carputer folks, scothern, Feb-22-05 01:28 AM, #3
      RE: Carputer folks, djtrickee, Feb-22-05 10:36 AM, #4
           RE: Carputer folks, siueclipse, Feb-22-05 05:04 PM, #5
                RE: Carputer folks, scothern, Feb-23-05 04:54 AM, #6
                     RE: Carputer folks, siueclipse, Mar-05-05 05:44 AM, #7
                          RE: Carputer folks, 97whitESi, Mar-07-05 10:03 AM, #8
                          RE: Carputer folks, siueclipse, Mar-09-05 07:45 AM, #10
                               RE: Carputer folks, 97whitESi, Mar-29-05 04:50 PM, #11
                                    RE: Carputer folks, djtrickee, Mar-30-05 08:17 AM, #12
                                         RE: Carputer folks, siueclipse, Mar-30-05 08:43 AM, #13
                                              RE: Carputer folks, scothern, Mar-30-05 11:48 AM, #14
                          RE: Carputer folks, Blizare, Mar-08-05 08:09 AM, #9

djtrickeeFeb-18-05 10:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10531, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 0

Good luck powering that computer, lol.

www.mp3car.com. read that and then search there.

and this is what I use:

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=41

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=39

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

siueclipseFeb-19-05 08:21 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#10536, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by scothern
What are you using for a power supply? I want to use my current P3 computer and I do not want to buy a new Via whatever it is system. What are you guys using and how do you control you power? Also what are you using for a video screen? I cant seem to find them for under 4300 and I don't want to spend that much. How are you hooking up your sound? Are you using amps? How are you controling these? I want almost automatic power on and no switches. I ahve been reading carmp3.com but thought I would ask here for those who have this set-u

You wont be able to power a P3 with a car power supply. youll have to use a inverter and that sucks. i use a xenarc touchscreen for monitor use. for sound, i simply have the headphone jack dumping out to two rca cables running to the amps. you wont get automatic power on since you will have to run a inverter.

I run a via board in a c138 case with an opus power supply. works perfectly. auto power on and off... survives cranking the car over etc.. i run dual 7" touchscreens if i want to.

the computer you have there is not meant for a car computer at all.

do some searching on mp3car.com

scothernFeb-22-05 01:28 AM
998 posts,
#10577, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 2

I have been searching there. It has to be possible to do. I mean the only difference in the two is the power supply. What about this thing?

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=65

Wouldn't that work with a regular system and an inverter?

99 Eclipse RS

djtrickeeFeb-22-05 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#10581, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 3

hey do whatever you want. Buy that thing and try it out. DIY is often about trying to make things work and then loosing your ass. Both James and I have been running carputers for a while now, but what do we know ehh?

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

siueclipseFeb-22-05 05:04 PM
3504 posts,
#10588, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by djtrickee
hey do whatever you want. Buy that thing and try it out. DIY is often about trying to make things work and then loosing your ass. Both James and I have been running carputers for a while now, but what do we know ehh?

haha

scothernFeb-23-05 04:54 AM
998 posts,
#10595, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 5

Hey now.

I'm not being a smart ass. I just don't have the cash to shell out for an entire new system. What were people doing before these Via systems came out?

99 Eclipse RS

siueclipseMar-05-05 05:44 AM
3504 posts,
#10677, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by scothern
Hey now. I'm not being a smart ass. I just don't have the cash to shell out for an entire new system. What were people doing before these Via systems came out?

using massive computers with inverters.

97whitESiMar-07-05 10:03 AM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#10681, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 7

is there any way you could actually run dual powersupplies wired in parallel?

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

siueclipseMar-09-05 07:45 AM
3504 posts,
#10703, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 97whitESi
is there any way you could actually run dual powersupplies wired in parallel?

there is probably a way to do it, but why would you want to.

97whitESiMar-29-05 04:50 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#10789, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 10

so you could use something other than a VIA Cshit, duh.

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

djtrickeeMar-30-05 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#10790, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by 97whitESi
so you could use something other than a VIA Cshit, duh.

Why? So you can play Doom3 in your car? lame. The VIA Epia M10k series is more than enough proc. power for carputer applications. And its small form factor allow you to install it in places a normal desktop wont come close to fitting. My complete computer is installed in the dash right behind the screen. No fuss... No muss. I always laugh at the people who come on mp3car.com and ask about installing a dual processor full tower with all the pci slots filled and the newest ATI pciexpress card and then find out it wont run because it eats up more power than long island . LMAO.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

siueclipseMar-30-05 08:43 AM
3504 posts,
#10791, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 12

more power than long island.. LOL

scothernMar-30-05 11:48 AM
998 posts,
#10792, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 13

I'm still going to put in my P3 1Ghz. Just taking longer then I planned to get the money together. Oh well. Either way, the ATX board and PSU I think could be made to look real sweet with some LED's and plexiglass.

99 Eclipse RS

BlizareMar-08-05 08:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#10692, "RE: Carputer folks"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by siueclipse
Originally posted by scothern Hey now. I'm not being a smart ass. I just don't have the cash to shell out for an entire new system. What were people doing before these Via systems came out?
using massive computers with inverters.

lol

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10529 Previous topic | Next topic