Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10205
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
Mattcky2kDec-28-04 07:54 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10205, "Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
Dec-28-04 07:55 PM by Mattcky2k

i just put in a new Pioneer head unit and XM radio. i had everything plugged up and working but my gauge lights were acting funny and every time i would play with the dimmer knob the speakers would buzz. so i taped up the wires i sodderd a little better and took out the XM antenna. Now the head unit works and sounds great but my gauge lights won't come on. what should i do? i'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, SPL_Eclipse, Dec-28-04 08:15 PM, #1
RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, jerseystyle1, Jan-04-05 04:56 AM, #2
      RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, TeamXtremeRS, Jan-04-05 03:28 PM, #3
           RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, Mattcky2k, Feb-25-05 09:11 AM, #4
                RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, rgirard413, Feb-25-05 03:22 PM, #5
                     RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, a_miller_76, Feb-25-05 05:49 PM, #6
                          RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, Mattcky2k, Feb-25-05 08:31 PM, #7
                          RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, a_miller_76, Feb-26-05 01:50 AM, #8
                          RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, rgirard413, Feb-26-05 05:04 AM, #9
                               RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, Mattcky2k, Feb-26-05 09:12 AM, #10
                                    RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, a_miller_76, Feb-26-05 11:10 AM, #11
                                         RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, Mattcky2k, Feb-26-05 03:24 PM, #12
                                              RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, rgirard413, Feb-28-05 02:57 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!, Onnoffplayer, Mar-01-05 05:50 PM, #14

SPL_EclipseDec-28-04 08:15 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10206, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

first of all: PLEASE HEAT SHRINK THE SOLDERS!!!! tape is a horrible way of isolation.

as for the guage cluster, replace the fuse. it sounds like you had a short and/or bad ground on the hedunit. assuming the issue is resolved, everything should work fine now.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jerseystyle1Jan-04-05 04:56 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#10241, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds like the ground. Do like SPL said and I would redo the ground on the HU.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

TeamXtremeRSJan-04-05 03:28 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#10244, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 2

Did you by chance connect the illumination wire of the headunit to the car? A lot of the newer HU's have a ill wire that dims the display when your headlights are on. If this is the case, check to be sure you have the proper wire connected to the car's ill wire. Some cars have two wires, both a ill wire, and a second ill wire that is connected to the dimmer switch. If you are using a adapter harness for the car's radio plug, the dimmer wires off of that adapter harness are orange or orange/white.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Mattcky2kFeb-25-05 09:11 AM
1135 posts,
#10618, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 3

i know it's been awhile on this post but i just now got around to getting into it. there is an orange wire that is not connected to anything that says illumination on it and the other orange/white wire is connected with the wiring harness. now should i just leave the orange wire unconnected or tap it into something like the cigerette lighter illumination wire or other light that comes on when the headlights do?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

rgirard413Feb-25-05 03:22 PM
Member since Jun 27th 2002
425 posts,
#10627, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 4

i personally dont use the orange wires at all, just pull them out of the harness. less wires, less problems.

98 Eclipse GSX
www.ridonkulous.com

a_miller_76Feb-25-05 05:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10630, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by rgirard413
i personally dont use the orange wires at all, just pull them out of the harness. less wires, less problems.

Hehe, you used to work at a circuit city or best buy didn't you?

Mattcky2kFeb-25-05 08:31 PM
1135 posts,
#10631, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 6

alright i've tried everything that i know of to try and fix this but my guages still do not light up. i've changed all the fuses that might be blown and i've tried hooking the orange wire to a power source and still nothing so what else can i do?

a_miller_76Feb-26-05 01:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10632, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 7

Did you hack your harness off or did you use a plug and play Metra set-up?

rgirard413Feb-26-05 05:04 AM
425 posts,
#10633, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Hehe, you used to work at a circuit city or best buy didn't you?

yea haha

98 Eclipse GSX
www.ridonkulous.com

Mattcky2kFeb-26-05 09:12 AM
1135 posts,
#10634, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 9

i used a harness.

a_miller_76Feb-26-05 11:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#10635, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 10

Have you altered anything else electrical?

Mattcky2kFeb-26-05 03:24 PM
1135 posts,
#10637, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Have you altered anything else electrical?

No. all i have added electrical to my car is a boost gauge and zeitronix O2 voltmeter gauge. and XM radio. you think hooking up the orange wire to another wire that comes on when the headlights are turned on might work?

rgirard413Feb-28-05 02:57 PM
425 posts,
#10641, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 12
Feb-28-05 02:59 PM by rgirard413

ive never come across a radio that needed the orange wire wired up. maybe some how you hooked it up backwards when you were doing it and sent power back into it and fried the lil LED's in the dash? Try putting the stock radio back in real quick..

98 Eclipse GSX
www.ridonkulous.com

OnnoffplayerMar-01-05 05:50 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2005
93 posts,
#10647, "RE: Just put in new head unit, NEED HELP!"
In response to Reply # 13

Wow long time no see all. u didn't fry the LED's, thats y theres an inline fuse there. I got big money on the illumination wire, cut that bastard and hook it to nothing, all it does is when u turn on the lights the radio should dim but being a pioneer u can dim it if u want manually

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10205 Previous topic | Next topic