Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1016
View in linear mode

Subject: "direction of subs" Previous topic | Next topic
xzolianDec-19-01 04:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
49 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1016, "direction of subs"

does it matter what way the subs are facing? towards the front of the car? towards the back of the car? up towards the window? I have two rf 12's in a sealed box.....

Xzolian
x5z5o5l@earthlink.net (remove the fives to send me an email)

1996 Eclipse RS
not that many.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: direction of subs, EvMan2345, Dec-19-01 04:21 AM, #1
RE: direction of subs, iamnotwhoiam, Dec-19-01 05:19 AM, #2
RE: direction of subs, brynden29, Dec-19-01 09:40 AM, #3
      RE: direction of subs, CVedEclipse, Dec-19-01 01:15 PM, #4
RE: direction of subs, Teamicjeclipse, Dec-22-01 05:16 PM, #5
RE: direction of subs, SonicYan, Dec-22-01 08:15 PM, #6
      RE: direction of subs, mitsuman, Dec-23-01 09:01 AM, #7
           RE: direction of subs, Teameclipse804, Dec-23-01 10:46 PM, #8
                RE: direction of subs, CVedEclipse, Dec-25-01 02:08 AM, #9
                     RE: direction of subs, 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-26-01 06:26 PM, #10
RE: direction of subs, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-28-01 12:15 PM, #11
RE: direction of subs, madregal, Jan-02-02 08:56 AM, #12

EvMan2345Dec-19-01 04:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1017, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard pointing back is the best- i had them facing the front, and i changed it to facing back and noticed a huge difference.

Evan B
97 GS
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

iamnotwhoiamDec-19-01 05:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#1018, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah it has some impact on the type of sound that you get... i noticed when i pointed them to the back that the sound was crisper and tighter sounding. people have also said that pointing the subs up towards the rear window gives a great response, but if its a prefab box its kinda hard to do that unless you go custom.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

brynden29Dec-19-01 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#1019, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 2

O.k. here's the deal with this...

If you have a big amp with plenty of "good" power, not a crapy amp, but a quality one pointing them forward will get you more punch, but if you do not have enough power you will hear distortion really badly. If you have a lower quality amp then face them backwards and you will not hear the distortion, and the rumble will be louder, but the hit will be delayed because the sound ways have to reverb back into the car causing the delay.

So the moral of the story is, buy a good quality amp and put them in a fiberglass bowl in the back like I did.

Brynden

CVedEclipseDec-19-01 01:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#1020, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 3

..and then make your car look like a whale! just kiddin bro.. i think your car looks sweet, inside and out! but yea.. get a good amp and you will less worries. and if you and custom a box, then i found that pointing them up against our sloped rear window works well.. and our trunks keep good pressure on the subs (cus they so small).. it almost acts like a big box!

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

TeamicjeclipseDec-22-01 05:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#1021, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 0

i have a cheap amp and a 12" sub facing up and it sounds nice. Eric has his 2 12's facing back and it sound real nice. Marcus has his two 10's facing up and his is real nice. And Mitsuman has his two 10's facing foward and his sounds real nice. So i think no matter what way you put them, it will sound good.

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

SonicYanDec-22-01 08:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#1022, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 5

I dunno. Mine sounded better after I switched directions. It was first facing inward. Now its facing the back. I also have a cheap amp. Really didn't need a good amp since I just got these two 10's for free. I might be biased though, since I did this after reading this post. Either way, it still sounds good. Cool thing is at least I get to see the woofers thumping.

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

mitsumanDec-23-01 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1992 posts,
#1023, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 6

thnx ian, defanitly face them backwards. mine sounded real sweet facing forward and sound even better facing the back. im not sure how they sound facing up but facing the back sounds soo much better.

"Proud to be, a 2gnt"

-mitsuman

Performance:
1. AEM cold air intake
1. NGK plugs

Ride:
1. motegi mr7 17'' wrapped in yokohama A550v 235/45/17

Sound:
1. sony xplod cdxm620 deck
2. 2 10'' audiobahn subs
3. nice shiny audiobahn amp

In room:
1. blitz front end(thnx 2 eclipse804)
2. H&R sport springs(thnx 2 eclipse804)

Fun mods:
1. "Nozzel mod"

Wanted:
1. to much ish to list... but a boy can dream

coming very soon:
1. CF hood

-mitsuman 95 GS 5-spd w/97-99 front end
Repin The SoCal 2GNT'ers
mitsuman95@hotmail.com
AIM s/n : mitsuman95gs

Teameclipse804Dec-23-01 10:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1024, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 7

Facing back or up in a hatchback usually sounds really good. I think it's due to the reflection of the sound waves back into the car. But I hear a lot of systems facing forward that sound REALLY good. Also, if you really want other people to hear your music from outside your car, then facing forward is better. But then that just means more bass escapes your car. I agree that with a really good amp, it shouldn't matter too much where they face, but usually facing back or up enhances the bass because it reflects off the surfaces (kinda like how bazooka tubes are supposed to be under 4" from a solid metal surface in order to sound good).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

CVedEclipseDec-25-01 02:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#1025, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 8

for our cars, does it does it really matter which way they are in? the room for throw in our car is crap.. any thoughts? i dont think there will be much difference in the direction.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

9D9 MITSU RSDec-26-01 06:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1026, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 9

back is best!

TeamXtremeRSDec-28-01 12:15 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1027, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 0

This is what happens when you face your subs into the back seat, and this goes for any trunk car also. When the bass is coming from the speaker, it hits the back of the seat, and is reflected back towards the rear of the car. Now this bass wave reflects again forward and is out of phase with the new bass waves coming from the subs, which gives some cancellation of bass. This is VERY noticable in trunk cars when the box is firing directly into the seat. So now we turn around the box, and ALL of the bass waves are reflecting off the back of the car, or if firing up, reflecting off the glass. There's no room for the bass waves to reflect back to cancel out, all of it just goes forward. When i had my Audio Control SPL meter, I measured a difference of at least 3 decibels more with the box turned to reflect all of the bass. Thats like adding TWICE the power, or adding another sub!! Now when i had my Grand Prix, i had the 2 subs custom mounted in my back seat, and the trunk airspace was totally sealed from the interior of the car. The subs point forward, which gave an awsome kick drum impact that made your eyeballs jump and made it tough to see!! This set up, sounded good because all of the bass is going forward, and noting directly in front of them to reflect any bass. So a general rule of thumb: Always point your subs to the back of a car's hatch, or glass, or in a trunk pointing towards you as you look into the trunk, and the box all the way to the opening of the trunk as you can...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

madregalJan-02-02 08:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#1028, "RE: direction of subs"
In response to Reply # 11

i have powered kenwoods and i have them mounted sideways.. hmmm...

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #1016 Previous topic | Next topic