Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #965
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alternative" Previous topic | Next topic
xzolianDec-09-01 02:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
49 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#965, "Alternative"

I remember a while back reading a post about a cheap alternative to dynomat. I did a search but couldn't find the post. Dose anyone remember what the stuff was? Also, I'm building a custom subwoofer enclosure out of 0.75" MDF board and I have heard people say that MDF board is porous therefore the outside walls should be sealed with polyurethane. Is this true? Is this just to protect the wood or to make it air tight?

xzolian
'96 rs

Xzolian
x5z5o5l@earthlink.net (remove the fives to send me an email)

1996 Eclipse RS
not that many.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

koolade9Dec-09-01 04:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#966, "RE: Alternative"
In response to Reply # 0

there are several "cheap" alternatives for dynamat. Hi-Temp Mastic can be had from McMaster.com brown bread is supposed to be very good.

I've used quite a few different kinds. and you'll find that you get what you pay for. what the "cheaper stuff" lacks is adhesion. I've talked to several people who find all of their cheap alternative laying in a pile on the bottom of their door panel. Brown bread is supposed to be the best bang for the buck.

but I used dynamat super on every layer of the doors, and on the interior panels, and I have never had a peice of it come off. I used hi-temp mastic on the floor boards along with 3/8" carpet padding. and R-11 insulation stuffed in the rear quarter panels.

to make a long story short. the dynamat really is worth the money.

and to answer your section question, yes wood is porus. I haven't heard of many people using polyurethane to coat enclosures, but I use fiberglass resin on the inside of my enclosures to seal everything up tight.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

LoudEclipseDec-09-01 04:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#967, "RE: Alternative"
In response to Reply # 1

wo0t!
and blake likes em tight!

CVedEclipseDec-09-01 11:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#968, "RE: Alternative"
In response to Reply # 2

i heard that cascade is some pretty good stuff too.. its cheaper than dynamat.. my friend put some in his 3000gt competition car.. and it works well.. its still stuck on there pretty damn tight.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #965 Previous topic | Next topic