Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #921
View in linear mode

Subject: "I need more frontal sound" Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSNov-29-01 02:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#921, "I need more frontal sound"

I upgraded the speakers in my car, 6.5's up front and 6x9's in the rear and I get more sound from the rear than I do upfront and it makes listening to music seem a little unbalanced. I know music should seem to be coming from the front like when your at a concert,right?? Everytime I ride in my moms celica i get jealous of her OEM system (8 speakers six up front and two in the rear). Is there anyway I can fix this or is it a lost cause??

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I need more frontal sound, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Nov-29-01 04:11 PM, #1
RE: I need more frontal sound, hifi_esi, Nov-29-01 07:18 PM, #2
      RE: I need more frontal sound, Fast420A, Nov-29-01 07:46 PM, #3
           RE: I need more frontal sound, CVedEclipse, Nov-30-01 12:49 AM, #4
           RE: I need more frontal sound, iamnotwhoiam, Nov-30-01 08:52 AM, #5
                RE: I need more frontal sound, CVedEclipse, Nov-30-01 03:21 PM, #6
                     RE: I need more frontal sound, RAIZIN, Nov-30-01 08:20 PM, #7
RE: I need more frontal sound, poplife319, Dec-01-01 01:01 AM, #8
RE: I need more frontal sound, jZa, Dec-01-01 03:59 AM, #9
      RE: I need more frontal sound, iamnotwhoiam, Dec-01-01 09:16 AM, #10
           RE: I need more frontal sound, 1TuffRS, Dec-01-01 03:04 PM, #11
                RE: I need more frontal sound, CVedEclipse, Dec-01-01 09:25 PM, #12
                     RE: I need more frontal sound, Fast420A, Dec-02-01 07:49 PM, #13
                          RE: I need more frontal sound, brynden29, Dec-05-01 05:13 AM, #14

Moderatorsd_eclipseNov-29-01 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#922, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 0

heh, fade the balance to the front speakers some more

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hifi_esiNov-29-01 07:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
42 posts,
#923, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 1

--If you are running 6.5's coax up front, you shoud try to re-plug your factory tweeter. It may help. If it don't make a big enough differance try chainging the little cacacitor (6 dB cross-over directly soldered to the + terminal) of the factory tweeter for a 10-15 mF capacitor. It's not 100% hi-fi but it help.
--By the way it's not a real tweeter, it's more like a mid-hi 12 ohms speaker.

95 Talon ESI
Mod: Custom Turbo
Modified T3 turbo on custom manifold
4 extras injectors
SDS auxiliary injectors controller
Modified 1G side mount Intercooler
Custom stainles Steel IC pip

Fast420ANov-29-01 07:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#924, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey I have a 5 1/4 infinity component system in the door with the tweeter flush mounted by the window crank. In the back I have the same 5 1/4 system with the tweeters flush mounted beside the stock speaker grills and 6 X 9's in speaker boxes in the center on the truck when you flip the seat down. I think I need more sound up front but where can I put it? What other sizes of speakers will help with the mid range and high end?

Missing Car. . .
Contemplating Turbo. . . . .

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

CVedEclipseNov-30-01 12:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#925, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 3

kick panels! great for imaging. had a friend that made a custom kick for his 3000, sounds great.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

iamnotwhoiamNov-30-01 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#926, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 3

if you want more highs hitting you from the front and you have tweeters in your system... place them anywhere that would be facing towards you. ive seen someone put them in the part of the side mirror thingy by the window.. plus if you want better highs then an amp will be a good addition.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

CVedEclipseNov-30-01 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#927, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 5

you could also replace the stock tweeters with new aftermarket ones. the slope of our winsheilds reflects the sound nicely.

^^what once was^^

RAIZINNov-30-01 08:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#928, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 6

how the hell did you guys put aftermarket speakers on those brackets up front? the stock 5 and a quarters have a weird shape. I did stick 6x9's in the back though with factory mounts.

poplife319Dec-01-01 01:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
30 posts,
#929, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 0

There are really two reasons that your rear speakers are louder: 1) the rear speakers are much bigger than the fronts, and 2) They are aimed at the driver's seat much better than the speakers in the front door.

And there are a couple of ways to remedy the problem: 1) add a lot more power to a better set of front speakers with an amp, 2) disconnect the rear speakers cuz why would you want mids and highs coming from the rear anyway. I have been an installer for 14 yrs now and whenever I design a high end system, I go with a great set of front components with the largest mid driver you can fit (6.5"-w/o modification) and a good sub(s) in the rear. And it's true that kick panel speakers will sound much better than door speakers because they are aimed at the driver's seat much better. And there are a few companies out there that make pre-fab, ready-to-install kick panels for our cars (check out Q-logic). Making them yourself can be a major chore for someone with not much or any experience with custom installs. And put as much power as possible to all those speakers with amps.

Here is what my systems consists of:
*Head unit-JVC KD-SH99 am/fm/cd/mp3
*Front components-Kenwood 6.5" Excelon set
*Rear subs-(2) 10" MTX Thunder subs
*Front amp-MTX Thunder2160
*Sub amp-MTX Thunder2300 bridged w/bass knob

One of the posts above was totally correct about the need for the music to come from the front and not the rear. After all, if you go to a concert, the band is playing in front of you, not behind you. Unless you're so high you can't see the stage and you get turned around. The only reason I can see to go with rear speakers at all is for a lil bit of rear fill or to make your rear seat passengers happy. But, who cares about them...it's your car and your stereo system.

Hope this helps.
pop

jZaDec-01-01 03:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#930, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 8

some speakers have that hexagonal(i think) kind of mounting style, i had 6.5" diamond m3 and they fit it perfectly, otherwise you can make a baffle or i think metra makes some things that fit over it so you can use diffenrt size speakers.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

iamnotwhoiamDec-01-01 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#931, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 9

yeah my diamond m5's fit in the doors too..

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

1TuffRSDec-01-01 03:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#932, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 10

I bought my 6.5's from crutchfield and they came with a plastic piece which screws into the stock bracket and you just mount the speaker to the plastic peice. It was really easy. I dont have tweeters up front, RS didnt come with them. I thought about adding some, but didnt want to worry about wiring and stuff, plus im sure i would end up having to take the dash out to do it:(

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

CVedEclipseDec-01-01 09:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#933, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 11

is that true with all RSs? no tweets in the front? i bought mine used, so they might have been put in before i bought it.. strage, i never thought of that.. either way.. if you can get some tweets up in the dash.. they sound great.

^^what once was^^

Fast420ADec-02-01 07:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#934, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 12

My RS also has no tweeters in the dash but I popped up the round cover and there is a clip that holds the wiring harness for the tweeters right there on the back of the cover! All you would have to do is connect tweeters and you are done, unless the wiring goes under the seat where the stock infinity amp would be instead of to the back of the radio. Either way it doesn't matter for me, I ran all new wiring to my speakers from my amps.

Missing Car. . .
Contemplating Turbo. . . . .

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

brynden29Dec-05-01 05:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#935, "RE: I need more frontal sound"
In response to Reply # 13

O.K. Here goes....

I compete in sound quality stereo competitions which a major portion of my score is from my sound. Front stage is difficult to achieve. I have custom made kick panels which sound great. I am going to flush mount another set of tweeters in the A-pillar to raise my sound stage. Then I am going to cross them over at 16K, with a 6dB roll-off. I am going to use either a Mylar or Poly cap. Depending on the impedance of the tweet the cap value will differ. (by the way, I got this advice directly from Greg Davis, Manager for KCG, Kicker Competition Group). With those adjustments and LOTS of tuning I will be able to achieve the sound imaging that will score very high with the judges. Nevermind that it will sound awesome for everyday music. That is what I recommend doing.

Brynden

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #921 Previous topic | Next topic