Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8315
View in linear mode

Subject: "EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!" Previous topic | Next topic
extreme97ntMar-04-04 05:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8315, "EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"

I am glassing out my trunk tommrow. Should I go with a 10 inch sub or a 12 inch sub. I currently have a 10 and it hits good but is the 12 better? I listen to mostly rock and some rap. I need to know by the morning.. Thanks

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
fastest 2GNT with a hitch! until proven wrong...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Breezio, Mar-04-04 05:17 PM, #1
RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, EvMan2345, Mar-04-04 05:24 PM, #2
RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, HeyG, Mar-04-04 05:25 PM, #3
      RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, eclipse_gs_1512, Mar-04-04 05:32 PM, #4
           RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Vandy420a, Mar-04-04 05:34 PM, #5
           RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, extreme97nt, Mar-04-04 05:38 PM, #7
           RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Uberingram, Mar-04-04 05:35 PM, #6
           RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, eclipse_gs_1512, Mar-04-04 05:58 PM, #9
           RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, SanJacinto6404, Mar-04-04 05:38 PM, #8
                RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Blk95Talon, Mar-04-04 06:02 PM, #10
                     RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Ozzmosis86, Mar-04-04 06:09 PM, #11
                     RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, DSMRoadster, Mar-04-04 06:33 PM, #15
                     RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, SPL_Eclipse, Mar-04-04 06:15 PM, #12
                          RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, HiOnPSI, Mar-04-04 06:21 PM, #13
                               RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, EclipseRST, Mar-04-04 06:26 PM, #14
                                    RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Teameclipse804, Mar-04-04 06:49 PM, #16
                                         RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Teamner947, Mar-04-04 07:14 PM, #17
                                              RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Shockeclipse, Mar-04-04 07:25 PM, #18
                                                   RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Blizare, Mar-04-04 07:29 PM, #19
                                                        RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, SPL_Eclipse, Mar-04-04 08:28 PM, #20
                                                             RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, WickedESi, Mar-04-04 09:51 PM, #21
                                                                  RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, CVedEclipse, Mar-04-04 10:56 PM, #22
                                                                       RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, extreme97nt, Mar-05-04 01:46 AM, #23
                                                                            RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Super20G, Mar-05-04 02:34 AM, #24
                                                                                 RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, brynden29, Mar-05-04 03:02 AM, #25
                                                                                      RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, Breezio, Mar-05-04 04:07 AM, #26
RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!, 97beclipse, Mar-10-04 04:28 AM, #27

BreezioMar-04-04 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4863 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8316, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i say dual 10"s... 10"s are like the best all around sub.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EvMan2345Mar-04-04 05:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#8317, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 1

i like how 10's sound better than 12's

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

HeyGMar-04-04 05:25 PM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
69 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8318, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Breezio
i say dual 10"s... 10"s are like the best all around sub.

I disagree. 10's are for precision bass. 15's are for bass bass. I find 12's are ultimately the best. enough precision and good bass. Also considering you listen to rap and hip hop or whatever you'll want something with more bass than 10's.

-=It's all about style=

eclipse_gs_1512Mar-04-04 05:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#8319, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm extremely happy with my 12" alpine type r

2007 wrx

Vandy420aMar-04-04 05:34 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8320, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 4

I have a crappy 12 and i love it

shouldnt' this be in audio?
vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

extreme97ntMar-04-04 05:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#8321, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Vandy420a
shouldnt' this be in audio? vandy

Yes, but I need fast replies so this is the place to post.

UberingramMar-04-04 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#8322, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipse_gs_1512
I'm extremely happy with my 12" alpine type r

God, your car is the fucking sexist thing on 4 wheels.

eclipse_gs_1512Mar-04-04 05:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#8323, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Uberingram
Originally posted by eclipse_gs_1512 I'm extremely happy with my 12" alpine type r
God, your car is the fucking sexist thing on 4 wheels.

thank you!!!!!!!!!

2007 wrx

SanJacinto6404Mar-04-04 05:38 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
628 posts,
#8324, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 4

i vote 12's ... mine hit damn hard, and i still get the clarity and sound of 10's. i say dont cheat yourself gl

Dave-

Originally posted by Dualgen2 Damn Brynden, always picking on me on here but so nice on AIM. Stop toying w/ my emotions. Do you love me or not? I'm gonna go cry now. -Dave

Blk95TalonMar-04-04 06:02 PM
Member since Feb 20th 2002
875 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8325, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Go with a good 12. A good quality 12" will be just as precise as a 10" from another company. Whats your price range and how many watts can you throw at it? Throw some more info in here and Im sure people could start to give suggestions.

For your style of music, you should build a ported box...They have a lot of output (not too boomy) without sacrificing sound quality.

Account disabled upon user's request.

-CODE4

Ozzmosis86Mar-04-04 06:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#8326, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 10

I run a JL 13W7 driven by a JL 1000/1 amp. Amazing setup, but definately more than what I need. I would say that 1 or 2 10W7's or a 12W7 would be prime. My 13W7 is probably the cleanest sub I have ever heard, especially for it's size.

Andy

Check out my homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ozzmosis86/Home.htm

and my pics page:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95705837hSPLvt

DSMRoadsterMar-04-04 06:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#8327, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 11

I have 2 8" audiobahn in a band pass and people think I have 12's in there. The sound from these two little pairs are just phenomenal.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

SPL_EclipseMar-04-04 06:15 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#8328, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 10

blk95talon is the only one who answered you question accuratly. the sub only provides a means for a type of sound, its the exicution of the install that determines how the subs properties will be used to achieve a certain effect. sure, a 12" will have a greater surface area, but thats only one thing to consider. surface area has NOTHING to do with "tightness" or transient response, thats the job of the motor and suspention.

my suggestion is to research this a bit more before you commit yourself to somthing you might regret later. if you have a specific question, please post it in the a/v section.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

HiOnPSIMar-04-04 06:21 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#8329, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 12

i have 4 12W0's

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

EclipseRSTMar-04-04 06:26 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#8330, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 13

I'd rather save the weight...

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Teameclipse804Mar-04-04 06:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8331, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 14

You have to get at least 2 subs in there. Honestly, 2 sounds a lot better. I say two 10's also. If you are only going to do one sub, I would say one 12, but make the box volume small (near the minimum) so it will be a bit more precise. The box makes a huge difference.

One of my friends went from 2 JL 12W3 in a fiberglass enclosure, to 3 12W3's in a custom MDF enclosure, and finally down to 2 12W3's in a very simple MDF box. The final MDF rectangular box was the simplest (least custom) and sounded the best. I tihnk its the build quality and interior volume that made a huge difference.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Teamner947Mar-04-04 07:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#8332, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 16

make something like that. it's what i did. i like it. it doesn't take up any "trunk" space.

a 12" Eclipse, a JL 250/1, a homemade fiberglass box, MDF cover, and a partrige and a pear tree.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

ShockeclipseMar-04-04 07:25 PM
Member since May 18th 2003
2139 posts,
#8333, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 17

I say go with a 12, my JL 12w7 sounds so fucking good. Best sub I have ever heard.

"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war; our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very , very pissed off"

Originally posted by turbo8u
every time i get in it and start it up im like 'oh...yea, you know why you just started right there bitch? because i built you...yea...you like it dont you, yea and you're about to take this boost like a bitch too arent you

BlizareMar-04-04 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#8334, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 18

My 12" MTX Hits HARD!.....800 watts to it tho......Go 12" Bigger is better.

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

SPL_EclipseMar-04-04 08:28 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#8335, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 19

"You have to get at least 2 subs in there. Honestly, 2 sounds a lot better. I say two 10's also. If you are only going to do one sub, I would say one 12, but make the box volume small (near the minimum) so it will be a bit more precise. The box makes a huge difference."

a) yes, two subs will be louder than one, by approximatly 3dbs (assuming the same power being delivered). this also assumes that the acoustical phase alignment is perfect, which is impossible. 2 is not not really better than one if you have to sacrifice enclosure volume to accomidate them.

b) 10"s are no better than 12"s, and vice-versa. the difference between the two sizes relies on the fact that a 10" with a small box that is "X" large will sound great, while a the same "X" volume w/ a 12" sub will not sound too great. richard clark put it perfectly when he said there are three factors to consider when choosing a sub: small enclosure requirments, SPL, and efficiency. you can choose between any two of the three, but not all three at once. its very asmovian.

c) intoduce yourself to something called "q". comlience plays a huge role in the way a sound system "works". suggesting a small enclosure as a general guide is just wrong. as ive said before, the "tightness" or "precision" of acoustic response relies on matching the mechanical properties of the driver to the physical properties of the enclosure. it also relies on the phase alignment of the driver(s) to the environment in which it is playing. do some reasearch into what enclose sounds best for the particulare sub, and trust me when i say the best acoustical coupling of the sub to the cars environment occurs when the sub is backfiring approximatly 6-10 inches away from the back of the trunk.

ive tested out numurous subs/enclosures (as well as studying acoustics in general) in the eclipses environment and this all comes from my personal experience.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

WickedESiMar-04-04 09:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#8336, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 20

There really isn't much of an arguement here.

Mostly rock = 10's

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

CVedEclipseMar-04-04 10:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#8337, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 21
Mar-04-04 10:57 PM by CVedEclipse

mmmm.... nothing sounds as nice as a kick ass 15" for the deep bass with 8" midbass speakers!

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

extreme97ntMar-05-04 01:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#8338, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 22

ok here is some more info. I am going to be using a jl XXw3v2 sub. It looks like I am leaning toward a 10. I will just have to research how big to make the box, however cant I just put thet fill stuff to adjust it. Thank for everyones input on this.

Super20GMar-05-04 02:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#8339, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 23

No, "fill stuff" hehe is not what you want Most manufacturers offer advice for box sizing for their speakers... MAKE SURE YOU BUILD AN AWESOMELY CONSTRUCTED BOX, anything less will be a waste.

brynden29Mar-05-04 03:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#8340, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 24

I agree with SPL... it is all in the install. Take my car, I use all Digital Audio equiptment. Never heard of it? I bet not. It is a line from Audiobahn. Not top of the line by any stretch of the imagination. However with my install I took a some what no name brand and placed 3rd at USACi World Finals in Kansas City in the Pro 301-600 watt class. By far the hardest class out there. It just goes to show you have have crappy equipment, and a great install and it will sound great. Or you can have bad ass equipment and a crappy install and it will sound like crap.

Research and just make sure the install is good.

Brynden

BreezioMar-05-04 04:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4863 posts,
#8341, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 25

just be happy you have a hatchback.. way easier to get awesome sub sound out of then a sedan. when I had my breeze I always had to have the back seat down in order to get the best sound with my two JL10's in a custom built (by me) sealed box matched to JL's specifications. previously I had a hatchback with some cheap MTX terminator 12's in there with a cheap amp and some random box that they fit in.. and they were louder (although obviously not as clear) as the 10's in the other car

97beclipseMar-10-04 04:28 AM
Member since Dec 31st 2003
17 posts,
#8409, "RE: EVERYONE WITH A SYSTEM GET IN HERE!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd go with a 12 or 12's... depends on what you like I guess more then anything. Personally I'd get 12's. at some point or another your gonna want some bass to hit. and 12's just hit harder. You can adjust your hu, most have sub settings now so you can adjust for your bass. get the 12's and u can go anywhere between, just more area to cover

http://www.kaptainmyke.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=19912

97 GS 5spd : Body - Blitz Side Skirts, Blitz Bumper, Shadow Front Bumper, Indiglow Guages, Aftermarket Interior Plastic

Engine - NKG Plugs, CAI, Headers, Exhaust

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8315 Previous topic | Next topic