Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #7575
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm" Previous topic | Next topic
HiOnPSINov-05-03 04:22 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7575, "Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"

I know it's possible, i have the Clifford IG 6000 and i just wired my turbo timer in today. I have no problem locking my doors and walking off, wihtout arming the alarm.
Unfortunately, when my car shuts down, the alarm automatically unlocks my doors, leaving my car defenseless.
Matt,i think you know a thing or two about Clifford alarms. Would anybody have a diagram of how to wire a relay in? The Clifford installation guide mentions that it can be set up using an accessory timed wire (it specifically mentiosn turbo timers), but they didn't provide any further information.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-06-03 01:15 PM, #1
RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-06-03 02:12 PM, #2
      RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-06-03 03:16 PM, #3
           RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-06-03 03:46 PM, #4
                RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-06-03 05:38 PM, #5
                     RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, MCubed45, Nov-10-03 03:22 AM, #6
                          RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-10-03 05:02 AM, #7
                               RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-10-03 05:09 AM, #8
                                    RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-10-03 11:54 AM, #9
                                         RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-10-03 12:41 PM, #10
                                              RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-10-03 01:24 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, HiOnPSI, Nov-10-03 05:59 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm, MCubed45, Nov-11-03 11:06 PM, #13

TeamXtremeRSNov-06-03 01:15 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7577, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 0

Do your doors always unlock when you turn the key off? If so, then you can program the alarm to not do that with ignition. I think that is what you are looking for? Your alarm stays on when the TT shuts off right? Its just the issue with the locks?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HiOnPSINov-06-03 02:12 PM
2745 posts,
#7578, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 1

No, i actually can't set the alarm with the timer running. Clifford mentions that relay. I think there is a way to disable the auto lock/unlock on ignition, but i have always had problems trying to program my alarm. I swear i'm doing everything correctly but i never can figure anything out :/ go figure. Have you heard anything about using a relay?

TeamXtremeRSNov-06-03 03:16 PM
6329 posts,
#7579, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-06-03 03:22 PM by XtremeRS

Whats your model # of the system you have? How old is it? If its an older Clifford, like over a year, then i'm not too familiar with those, as DEI bought them out a year or so ago and are now totally different wiring wise. But, as to how to wire a relay, thats my specialty If you can find a link on line for the install manual to your unit, then I can def get you all set.

EDIT- k hang on, i am looking at the inststall guide now...

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamXtremeRSNov-06-03 03:46 PM
6329 posts,
#7580, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-06-03 03:46 PM by XtremeRS

Well this is what i gather from your install guide. It looks like it has a user selectable timed output on the alarm. You can use this as a turbo timer. You would wire up a relay to keep power onto the ignition wire, which would keep the car running. You still wouldnt be able to arm the alarm though. Kinda pointless. In order for you to be able to arm your alarm with your TT active, you will need to wire up at least one, maybe 2 relays. Which brings me to my next question, does your TT have any outputs from it, that turn on when the TT becomes active? (other than the normal ignition outputs) I think most TT's have one or two special output wires on them, so you can hook up relays to them...What TT do you have?

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

HiOnPSINov-06-03 05:38 PM
2745 posts,
#7584, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 4
Nov-06-03 05:41 PM by HiOnPSI

I have the GReddy Full Auto Timer...
let me find the manual.
http://www.greddy.com/technical/pdf/GReddyTT.pdf
there you go. i will now go read it

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

MCubed45Nov-10-03 03:22 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#7605, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-10-03 03:24 AM by MCubed45

main thing you need to do is bypass the ignition sensor on your alarm brain with a relay. you will use the relay as a NC (normally closed) switch inline with the ignition sensor wire on the alarm. the relay will be triggered by the TT. use an output from the TT or even tap into the wire powering the ignition. basically anything providing an output as long as the TT is running the car. if it's a positive output this is how you would wire your relay:

30 - ignition sensor wire (to alarm brain)
87a - ignition sensor wire (from ignition)
85 - ground
86 - output from TT

the basic idea is to make your alarm think your car is off when it is not. your alarm currently does not arm b/c the TT keeps the car running. by putting the relay inline with the ignition sensor wire of the alarm, the alarm will basically see that the car is off (even though the TT is running the car). when the TT shuts off, the relay deactivates and the ignition sensor wire functions normally. thus your starter kill will still work and the alarm will 'see' if someone puts power to the ignition wire without disarming the alarm. if the vibrations from the motor runing gives you problems with the alarm going off while the TT is running you would use a second relay in a similar manner to temporarily bypass the shock sensor (again, when the TT shuts off the relay would deactivate and the shock sensor would return to functioning as normal)

also b/c your alarm now 'sees' the car running only when your key is in the ignition and not when the TT is running it, your doors will unlock when you take your key out of the ignition (as it normally would if you did not have a TT).

-marc

HiOnPSINov-10-03 05:02 AM
2745 posts,
#7607, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 6

Hey thanks a lot man! I'll keep staring at this for a few hours until i figure it out, but it sure looks right.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

HiOnPSINov-10-03 05:09 AM
2745 posts,
#7608, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok-
There is an ignition wire GOING TO the alarm brain and one LEAVING the alarm brain, if i acn remember correctly. Basically, i make the cut where the ignition (from the TT) reaches the point where it is going to the brain, and wire 86 as (from the TT) and 30 as the other part of that cut (wire directly to the brain). Now, take the wire that is going FROM the brain TO the car's ECU and TAP THAT WIRE or CUT THAT WIRE?? into 87a.
Let me know if i'm ballpark.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

TeamXtremeRSNov-10-03 11:54 AM
6329 posts,
#7609, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 8

On your alarm, you cut the car's ignition wire, and one side of the alarms wire will go to the key side of the ig wire, and one side will go to the car side of the ig wire. Which wire did you tap the TT ignition output to? YOu basiclly want to interupt the ig input to the alarm, without interupting the TT ig output..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

HiOnPSINov-10-03 12:41 PM
2745 posts,
#7610, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 9

I used a harness, so no tapping the ignition.

TeamXtremeRSNov-10-03 01:24 PM
6329 posts,
#7611, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 10

So let me get this straight. Your alarm has 2 wires from it, that go to the car's ignition wire, and the car's ignition wire is cut in half, correct? Then, your TT has a plug in harness that is plugged into your keyswitch? Or where does it plug into? That is important to know. Basically, all your ignition power is going through the alarm, since the alarm "breaks" that wire when its on, just like a starter kill. So if you interupt that wire with the TT active, the car wont run, because you will then break the ignition wire when you arm the alarm, and the car will shut off. Make sense? You can go around this, but you may have to rewire part of the igniton wire at the alarm, more specifically, get rid of the 'Kill" part of the igniton wire for the alarm..its not going to work unless you do..All of the DEI alarms I install dont have a built in ignition kill, so this makes it harder..plus you are using a plug in harness for the TT, which complicates the whole thing

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

HiOnPSINov-10-03 05:59 PM
2745 posts,
#7616, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 11

Yes, you're exactly correct. The main ignition wire is cut in half, with the brain interlying. The harness is plugged direclty in to the keyswitch, but it doesn't interefere with the alarm at all.
I'm about to take it to the local stereo shop, this is all way the hell over my head.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

MCubed45Nov-11-03 11:06 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#7625, "RE: Wiring a relay in for a TT w/ Clifford alarm"
In response to Reply # 12

damn having the ignition kill built in to the alarm is a bitch... most have an external relay for that.. you *could* rewire it to use an external relay for the starter kill OR just ditch the starter kill feature if you don't think it's that important...

once you get a basic understand of relays and how alarms an stuff work it's pretty simple to come up with various solutions to wiring issues.

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix TypeX CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
NGK Plugs
Accel 8mm Wires
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors

255 is fricken short

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #7575 Previous topic | Next topic