Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6497
View in linear mode

Subject: "2 subs don't hit low bass as well......." Previous topic | Next topic
CopperEclipse96Jul-02-03 10:31 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6497, "2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."

I have to AURA 12s, but only one is in my car. It sounds really good, and hits all kinds of bass real well. I put the other one in, and of course it's much louder, but it doesn't hit the lows as well. What could I do to fix this? Or is it just a consequence of having 2?

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., 808dsmtuner, Jul-02-03 11:51 AM, #1
RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., python6586, Jul-02-03 05:19 PM, #2
RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., TeamXtremeRS, Jul-02-03 05:29 PM, #3
RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., 808dsmtuner, Jul-02-03 05:42 PM, #4
      RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., CopperEclipse96, Jul-03-03 03:49 PM, #5
           RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., a_miller_76, Jul-07-03 03:43 AM, #6
                RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., Sorry_i_Win, Jul-10-03 05:16 PM, #7
                     RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......., SPL_Eclipse, Jul-10-03 05:32 PM, #8

808dsmtunerJul-02-03 11:51 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
665 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6498, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 0

what kind of box are you using if its a sealed then yea you wont hit that low of bass but if you got seperate boxes i would try and wire them different if there dvc go with series/parallel wiring if not just series and bridge the amp might also wanna get a crossover to control freqs

hawaii boy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

python6586Jul-02-03 05:19 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#6503, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 1

i thought sealed boxes made lower bass but not as loud and ported was louder

TeamXtremeRSJul-02-03 05:29 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#6504, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 0

Did you increase the size of the box at all when you added the other sub? Is this a dual sub box, or was it just made for one, and you put one more into it? Having the proper amount of airspace is essential for good bass. Sealed boxes are much more forgiving on being at the exact amount of airspace, over ported boxes. Also, be sure you didnt mix up the pos and neg wires at your subs..

Sealed boxes have whats called 12db/octave rolloff frequency. This means, for ever octave of a frequency that goes down, it gets 12 decibels quieter.

Ported boxes have a 24 db/octave rolloff frequency. So this means that the ported box will get quiter, quicker, as the bass frequency gets lower. This means that a ported box can be very loud and boomy, then, when a much lower bass frequency hits, it can be much quieter.

Sealed boxes dont neccessarily go lower than ported boxes. They do however stay louder as the frequency start to get lower. Its all in a ported box's port design(length, and diameter), that will effect how low it will go, and at what frequency it will start that 24db/ octave rolloff. But the tradeoff of that, is the lower you design your rolloff for a ported box, the bigger the box needs to be, and the longer the port length needs to be. I've used a computer box building program to make several ported boxes that sounded really, really well. But, sealed boxes IMO, will always sound better, and cleaner. A lot depends on what brand of sub it is too. Some sound better in a sealed box, and some in a ported box.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

808dsmtunerJul-02-03 05:42 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
665 posts,
#6505, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 3

ive always liked ported boxes better cause they will rumble at low bass the only thing is that you dont have the option to go higher freq cause it will just sound the same

i made a design like the kicker stillwater were the speaker sits inside the box with only a port to kick out the noise had two 10s in there and only hit 127 at the db drags which was at 250hz pretty good for that low

anyways now im hitting 138 with my two tens in a sealed box in the spl contest i have it in two fiberglass volcano looking things that i made in the trunk

just taught id share something with yea

ported sealed its all in the matter of what your ears (or body) like

hawaii boy

CopperEclipse96Jul-03-03 03:49 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#6512, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 4

the boxes are sealed. the one with two is just one of the generic best buy ones.

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

a_miller_76Jul-07-03 03:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#6533, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 5

That's your problem....generic box. Get the specs out for your subs and build a box to fit them correctly.

Sorry_i_WinJul-10-03 05:16 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#6601, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 6

agreed.. recommended air space per sub is paramount in box selection.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

SPL_EclipseJul-10-03 05:32 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#6602, "RE: 2 subs don't hit low bass as well......."
In response to Reply # 7

hmm...me thinks somthing else is going on here.

you say that sound quality wise, things are kosher with the one sub, but when you add the second one, its louder at some frequencies, but sounds like crap in general....is that correct?

two questions for ya: are you using two different boxes..or one box for both subs? and... are you sure the subs arent out of phase with each other? (how are they wired?)

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6497 Previous topic | Next topic