Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6279
View in linear mode

Subject: "What amp should I get???" Previous topic | Next topic
AggressionMay-31-03 04:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6279, "What amp should I get???"

I am currently in the process of building my own box in the back of my car...I removed the whole back seat and everything. I picked up some 12" Lanzar subs and was wondering what kinda amp do I need to run these decently? I am just learning about stereo equipment and all there capabilities so bare with me on my newbie questions. I was looking at either a 800w or 1000w planet audio amp or a usamp. Oh yeah I also plan on having 2 10" no name brand speakers in there as well because my friend is giving them to me for free so I might as well us it. So what I should have asked is amp should I get that will run my 2 12" and the 2 10"'s decently. I am planning on getting 4 quality subs in the future but for now I only paid 60 bucks for the 2 12's and the 2 10's are free, but I don't want to go cheap on the amp. But I have about $250 to spend right now. Any help will be greatly appriciated. tia

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What amp should I get???, cool_g_83, May-31-03 09:44 PM, #1
RE: What amp should I get???, Aggression, Jun-04-03 11:29 AM, #2
      RE: What amp should I get???, dudasd, Jun-04-03 12:49 PM, #3
           RE: What amp should I get???, Aggression, Jun-05-03 05:21 PM, #4
                RE: What amp should I get???, develitate, Jul-07-03 11:10 PM, #5
                     RE: What amp should I get???, SPL_Eclipse, Jul-08-03 11:53 AM, #6

cool_g_83May-31-03 09:44 PM
Member since Apr 27th 2002
478 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6280, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry to say, but almost any amp that you will need to run the two 12" and the two 10" will most likely be more that $250. You also said you dont want to go cheap on the amp. $250 is kinda cheap for the beast of an amp you will need.

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

Defi D-Series Boost Gauge, ExtremePsi Intake, Greddy Type-S BOV, Hallman Evolution MBC ... 3" Thermal R&D Exhaust soon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionJun-04-03 11:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#6315, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok what well watt amp will I need just to run the 2 12"'s then?

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

dudasdJun-04-03 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#6316, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 2

Seeing as how Lanzar subs are pretty power hungry, your gonna need somehting strong. My boy is pushing 2 of them with an Orion HCCA 225G4 and they will hit pretty good. Only other problem with those subs is that they are pretty space hungry too so your gonna need a pretty large enclosure for them.

AggressionJun-05-03 05:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#6321, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 3

I removed my back seats and I am custom building a box in the back that stretches into the trunk area. The inclosure for the subs is pretty big. I will post pics of the box from begining stages throughout completion, which should be this Sunday if everyone goes as plans. thanks for you help.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

develitateJul-07-03 11:10 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
128 posts,
#6543, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 4

JBL BP1200.1

this amp is awesome, Its 1200 watts x1 RMS and you can get one brand new for about $250 (ebay). You could easily power a pair of 12's with this amp, and you MIGHT be able to get away with using it to power your 10's as well? (300 watts per sub) This is the best amp you can buy for the price

SPL_EclipseJul-08-03 11:53 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#6549, "RE: What amp should I get???"
In response to Reply # 5

^^^^^i concure 100%...that JBL is a killer amp and has proven itself reliable.

do you plan this install to merely be for show? or should it be functional as well? if you want it to sound good, you might want to reconsider your plan. i see 2 things that will affect your sound in a negative way: the first is the location of the subs. putting them smack dab in the middle of the car is just asking for phasing and cancellation issues. i actually tried it once and found that if they MUST be in the rear-seat area, they will sound best firing towards the rear and worst firing forward.

the second thing that could negativly impact the SQ is the fact that you are using two different types of subs of two different sizes. more is not always better. while the pairing will re-inforce each other at certain frequencies, they will also cause some cancellation at others, resulting in a really notchy frequency responce graph. you would be better off just picking either the 10"s or the 12"s and stick to just one pair. then focus your attention on getting the airspace and box perfected for those subs rather than building two enclosures that are only passable.

sorry, i know you didnt ask for a critique, but i thought i would just give you some suggestions based on my own personal experience. i would hate for you to spend a lot of time and effort only to have it sound crappy. all in all thogu, the project sounds awesome and i cant wait to see the finished results!!!

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6279 Previous topic | Next topic