Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5147
View in linear mode

Subject: "Custom boxes..." Previous topic | Next topic
coppereclipse95Jan-25-03 09:53 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5147, "Custom boxes..."

I'm thinking about building a new "custom" box for my car. I got a regular 2 10" square box and I really don't like the dull look. So, I want to make a cool looking one. Do you guys have pics of your custom boxes? Do you guys have any good ideas? Let me know!

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Custom boxes..., OZ_GS, Jan-26-03 09:47 AM, #1
RE: Custom boxes..., SPL_Eclipse, Jan-26-03 12:57 PM, #2
RE: Custom boxes..., coppereclipse95, Jan-26-03 05:13 PM, #3
RE: Custom boxes..., audiophyl, Jan-26-03 05:15 PM, #4
      RE: Custom boxes..., OZ_GS, Jan-27-03 05:11 AM, #5
           RE: Custom boxes..., audiophyl, Jan-27-03 05:24 AM, #6
           RE: Custom boxes..., coppereclipse95, Jan-27-03 05:53 AM, #7
                RE: Custom boxes..., Apocalypse, Jan-27-03 11:36 AM, #8
                     RE: Custom boxes..., OZ_GS, Jan-27-03 05:47 PM, #9
                          RE: Custom boxes..., HondaHater21, Jan-27-03 06:14 PM, #10
                               RE: Custom boxes..., SPL_Eclipse, Jan-28-03 06:57 AM, #11
                                    RE: Custom boxes..., Blk95GS, Jan-28-03 07:51 AM, #12
                                         RE: Custom boxes..., HondaHater21, Jan-28-03 06:28 PM, #13
                                              RE: Custom boxes..., coppereclipse95, Jan-29-03 06:42 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Custom boxes..., DSMRoadster, Jan-29-03 04:56 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Custom boxes..., OZ_GS, Jan-29-03 07:51 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Custom boxes..., chrysler kid, Jan-30-03 07:14 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Custom boxes..., coppereclipse95, Feb-03-03 04:47 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Custom boxes..., RSClipse9d7, Feb-20-03 09:24 AM, #19

OZ_GSJan-26-03 09:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5150, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 0

This is what I used to have..... It housed 2 10s...

I am working on a new setup for 2 12s now.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SPL_EclipseJan-26-03 12:57 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#5152, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 1

those are some older pics of my setup.

not sure if youd want to go that far with the install, but you never know.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

coppereclipse95Jan-26-03 05:13 PM
1068 posts,
#5154, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 2

DAMN!! How can you see outside with that box??? I need more space at top so I know when the "blue" lights are after my ass!! How do both of your boxes stay in place like that? do they move any?

1995 Eclipse RS

audiophylJan-26-03 05:15 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
#5155, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 1

ARRGGGHHHHHH....Dude...Why did you ruin your install by putting Kicker grills on the Type R's?

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

OZ_GSJan-27-03 05:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#5161, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 4

I only had them on for the picture because I was playin around.....They came off shortly after!!

Anyhow....

Mine stayed in place really well because the bottom of it was fiberglassed to fit over the little metal hump and around the curved plastic pieces. Also I routed out a dado in the top od the box that fit my strut bar so even if I rolled the car the box would stay put.... Plus it makes it that much harder to steel.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

audiophylJan-27-03 05:24 AM
152 posts,
#5163, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 5

That is some nice work on the box. I never noticed the groove that you cut for the rear strut tower bar.

I may have to steel that idea...hope you don't mind!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

coppereclipse95Jan-27-03 05:53 AM
1068 posts,
#5164, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 5

That rear tower bar idea is very nice. I'm going to include that for my new box to! Smart!!

1995 Eclipse RS

ApocalypseJan-27-03 11:36 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2003
43 posts,
#5168, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 7

Im gonna try to fiberglass an enclosure into the right rear of the trunk. I think there will be plenty of room for my 12w6 in there ported, I will post pics when Im done. Plus, I will retain some precious trunk space, cause a NOS bottle is gonna take up some room

OZ_GSJan-27-03 05:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#5169, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 8

Actually thats what I am working on now....

I am fiberglassing a 12 on either side of the trunk and then making an AMP rack where I used to have the box....Its taking alot of time but I think it will be pretty sweet by the time I am done...

Chad

MODS:

HondaHater21Jan-27-03 06:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#5170, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 9

here os my boomer......................

it glows badass at night

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

SPL_EclipseJan-28-03 06:57 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#5173, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 10

hey hondahater...your systems damn clean looking, me likey.

one question though...is that a massive TV hanging from your roof right above the sub box in the second pic? :o

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Blk95GSJan-28-03 07:51 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
#5174, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 11

http://www.xclipsion.com/mobile/eclipse/subbox.html

it's not much and i'm not done...but after carpeting, mounting a new amp and installing the side pieces it should be good enough for me

Travis

HondaHater21Jan-28-03 06:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#5181, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks. Yup its a 12.1 LCD much easyer tha havin lots of people sitting in ur car

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

coppereclipse95Jan-29-03 06:42 AM
1068 posts,
#5183, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 13

Nice!

1995 Eclipse RS

DSMRoadsterJan-29-03 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#5184, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 14

How do you finish off the bottom of the box? I've been wanting to make a custom box for the longest time now, but never knew how to do the fiberglass part. Where would you get all the material?

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

OZ_GSJan-29-03 07:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#5185, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 15

Just buy a gallon of resin and a few packages of fiberglass cloth from your local autoparts store.

Lay down a ton of thick plastic to protect your car.

Then build a frame to attach the cloth to.

Then tack down the cloth on the inside of the frame.

Paint on the resin/hardener mix with a paint brush.

Let it dry.

Then cut stips of cloth and lay them over the dried form and paint them with resin.

After 2 layers are dry then pull the form out of the car and add about 3 or four more layers to build up the thickness of the box.

Carpet it.

Mount the subs and seal any air leaks with silicone and viola.

Chad

MODS:

chrysler kidJan-30-03 07:14 PM
7411 posts,
#5186, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 16
Jan-30-03 07:16 PM by chrysler kid

hondahater21 = the master of custom enclosures, thanks alot for mine, i love it.
2 fosgate 12's, and a legacy 800w amp. I upgraded the subs, and i need another amp

11.65 @ 115

coppereclipse95Feb-03-03 04:47 AM
1068 posts,
#5208, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 17

Man, is it fiberglass season??? It looks like everybody's doing some kind a fiberglass box...Which seems like a nice idea...would a beginner like me be able to make one??

1995 Eclipse RS

RSClipse9d7Feb-20-03 09:24 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
915 posts,
#5372, "RE: Custom boxes..."
In response to Reply # 18

Fiberglass isn't that hard to use. The more you use it the better you get but I'm sure you could do a box with it. The ones you saw above are just fiberglassed on the inside to make it air tight (correct me if I'm wrong on that one gentlemen) and that's not hard to do at all. Best advice I can give you is plan everything out the way you want. Make cardboard cut outs of all the pieces of the system if you need help with spacing, I know that helps me when I design a system. Most importantly is measure twice and cut once... follow that and you will be fine. Good luck man.. let us know if you need anymore help.

97 RS- Runs, but never driven
2000 Subaru Outback- Daily Driver

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5147 Previous topic | Next topic