Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4478
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tanqueray201Nov-12-02 01:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4478, "Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"

I'm about to have a fiberglass enclosure molded (by a shop) into the side of my AWD's hatch to hold a 12" sub..probably a Diamond Audio M3. I'd rather do the spare tire well, but I'm paranoid that the day after I throw out my spare, one of my tires will blow out, and I'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone reception.

I guess another name for this thread could be "How well does fix-a-flat work?"

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, audiophyl, Nov-12-02 02:08 PM, #1
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, SPL_Eclipse, Nov-12-02 02:39 PM, #2
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, OZ_GS, Nov-12-02 03:01 PM, #3
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, scirio, Nov-12-02 05:13 PM, #4
      RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, Tanqueray201, Nov-13-02 12:20 PM, #5
      RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, audiophyl, Nov-14-02 12:55 PM, #6
           RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, ibangdchoeclipse, Nov-19-02 10:22 AM, #7
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, Teamner947, Nov-19-02 06:03 PM, #8
RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, whyucryn, Nov-20-02 05:26 AM, #9
      RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Nov-21-02 07:30 AM, #10

audiophylNov-12-02 02:08 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4479, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I bought my Talon with 32,000 miles and removed the spare tire and rack at about $36,000. Currently, I have $120K on the car and haven't had any problems. (Knocking on wood right now)

A few things to remember when running without a spare tire:
#1 Always carry a cell phone
#2 Pick up Road-Side Assistance
#3 Check the tires often for wear and bubbles.
#4 Drive Smart

Good Luck to you!!!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SPL_EclipseNov-12-02 02:39 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#4480, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 1

i personnally would NEVER go without a spare, but ive know a few who dont mind. if youre just driving around the city, there should be no problem, but if your going on a road trip you might want to throw it in the backseat just in case. BTW...i HAVE blown a tire in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception, so i can happen.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

OZ_GSNov-12-02 03:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#4481, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 2

I am with ^^^

I designed my system with the spare in mind all the way. I have had too many blow outs to go with out it. Plus my kids often ride with me so its really essential. Haven't had a blow out yet in the DSM though.....also knocking on wood....DAMN!! I have a plastic desk...I am screwed

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

scirioNov-12-02 05:13 PM
Member since May 13th 2002
1637 posts,
#4482, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 1

>Well, I bought my Talon with 32,000 miles and removed the
>spare tire and rack at about $36,000.

$36,000 to remove the rack?! Daymn! Those damn overpriced bodyshops ! Let me know if one of your tires ever blows, have the car SHIPPED the car to me, Itl save you thousands a mere $96,000 should cover it, shipped.

-WILL

AIM - scirio
Got Boost? ...No.

Originally posted by a drunk DSMRoadster
drink now and nafter goddanti! celebaeration birches!

Tanqueray201Nov-13-02 12:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#4483, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 4

I would have already ditched the spare tire, but on my n/t, I've had to plug tires four times in less than a year! Not that I want to make unsubstantiated accusations, but there's a tire repair shop three blocks down the road...

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

audiophylNov-14-02 12:55 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
#4484, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 4

Damn!!! I'm such an idiot! I meant 36,000 miles, not $36,000.

For the record, when I travel to big shows I do carry the spare tire in the vehicle. I've only done it twice, but after I saw the bubbles in my Pirelli's I carry it to big shows. Of course, my big shows are in Atlanta and Charlotte, which is a hike from Chicago.

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

ibangdchoeclipseNov-19-02 10:22 AM
Member since Jun 26th 2002
747 posts,
#4485, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 6

i got rid of mine long time ago its not even an option i cant even fit a jack under my car so what good it that gonna do me, oh yea btw how do u dropped cars with fiberglass kits jack up ur cars

Teamner947Nov-19-02 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#4486, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 0

not at all. i did something very similar with my spare tire well, i figured it would be an excellent place for an amp and a sub. besides, who wants to run around on a donut? i'd rather put up with being towed then to be embarassed by driving around on a little 3" wide tire.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

whyucrynNov-20-02 05:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
96 posts,
#4487, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 8

i have a set of 5 wheels that are 18's. just find another wheel that you have and have that for a spare if you go anywhere. just my thought.

It is better to die standing up, than to live on your knees.

1997 GS

LIFE IS TO SHORT
1997 GS

9D9 MITSU RSNov-21-02 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#4488, "RE: Any regrets over tossing out spare tire?"
In response to Reply # 9

I wanna have a spare rim and tire in the back at an angle with the amp behind the wheel, and then a sub on each side. WOOT!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4478 Previous topic | Next topic