Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3509
View in linear mode

Subject: "speaker wire questions" Previous topic | Next topic
vegasdsmrAug-06-02 08:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3509, "speaker wire questions"

ya, so i had my amp mounted to my box (i know, bad idea) and the fakker fell off, and was gettin thrown around where my back seat used to be... so i went to my fav auto parts store, home depot, and picked up sum longer speaker wire that was a lil thicker than my old, short wire...

well, after i rewired both subs w/the new, thicker wire, they were hittin harder....and sounding louder....

can someone explain this to me... im about to go to home depot and get the thickest wire they sell, and do my whole system w/it...

im sure it has to do w/resistance, etc... but i'd like to hear about the technical aspects and gains/losses with thicker wire compared to thinner wires..

tia

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: speaker wire questions, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-06-02 03:19 PM, #1
RE: speaker wire questions, jerseystyle1, Aug-08-02 11:40 AM, #2
      RE: speaker wire questions, Chamuko, Aug-08-02 02:53 PM, #3
           RE: speaker wire questions, vegasdsmr, Aug-08-02 03:49 PM, #4
                RE: speaker wire questions, a_miller_76, Aug-12-02 03:44 AM, #5
                     RE: speaker wire questions, BoostedGS, Aug-12-02 05:23 AM, #6
                     RE: speaker wire questions, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-12-02 07:17 AM, #7

SPL_EclipseAug-06-02 03:19 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3510, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 0

havnt posted here in a while...

unless the original speaker wire was very small (like 24 awg or smaller), there would probably not be a percievable difference in SPL by stepping up to a larger guage wire. that leaves two possibilities (that i can think o ):

1) it's entierly somatic. if you think it will sound better it usually does.

2) you mentioned that the amp was moved. if you changed your grounding location its possible that the voltage drop has been lowered, thereby turning some usually wasted heat into more power to the speakers.

my guess is still #1 thoug .

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jerseystyle1Aug-08-02 11:40 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#3511, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 1

The larger speaker wire has less resistance which would make a difference.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

ChamukoAug-08-02 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#3512, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 2

maybe not lounder, but a bit cleaner / tighter w/ less distortion.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

vegasdsmrAug-08-02 03:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#3513, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 3

right on.. my subz sound like azz...
2 10"JL i dunno what series, in an over-ported box powerd by a swapmeet 300watt 4channel bridged into 2...

they deffinately boom, but sound like ass w/the ports...

thanks for the replies tho...

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

a_miller_76Aug-12-02 03:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3514, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Think about it like a hose...you can only push so much water through a hose with a good even flow. If you want to flow more water you need a larger hose. Push too much water through a small hose and it sprays out the end (distortion). But don't go too big or it will just trickle out I used to have a set of Rockford 8" DVC subs. Those little fqrs would hold 300 per voice coil. I didn't get near that, but I was running them at about 400 per sub (200 per voice-coil) and I was using 10ga wire for my subs. Most guys use 10ga for their freakin power wire. By the way, if you're one of these guys (hope you're not ) then go up with your wire. I don't care how small my amp is I always use at least 4ga wire for power with a 4ga ground at the amp to the body and a 4ga ground return from the body of the vehicle back to the negative battery terminal. Yes I know it's overkill, but my systems always sound extremely clean and always make other guys say "Wait a minute, how do you get sound like that out of a system like this?"

BoostedGSAug-12-02 05:23 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#3515, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 5

I think generally a good setup uses 16gauge wire for component speakers, 12gauge for subs, and 4gauge power and ground for a decent system pushing a few hundred watts. Anything smaller will hurt performance, and anything larger is overkill unless you have a HUGE system.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

SPL_EclipseAug-12-02 07:17 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#3516, "RE: speaker wire questions"
In response to Reply # 5

umm...im still going to have to disagree with everyone about stepping up to larger guage wires. theres no reason for it. speaker wire is an a/c circuit independant of the 14 or so volts d/c that runs the rest of the car. theres a much higher voltage level, so the amperage can be decreased (ohms law power =volts x amps) to make the same amount of power. even with 16 guage wire, you are good up to many thousands of watts without any audible difference, because the total resistance of the wire will never go beyond about .1ohms. besides, the inefficiency of the speaker itself is so overwhelming that speaker wire is the least of your concerns. also, even the thinnest speaker wire will not cuase distortion. its not possible. distortion is a property of the output wave from the device, not of the cables.

go here for a good speaker wire calculator:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3509 Previous topic | Next topic